Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: borg for Trek 3
yes. 34 22.67%
no. 105 70.00%
save them for ST 4 (if there is one) 11 7.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 12 2013, 02:45 AM   #121
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: Should the Borg be the villain in Trek 3?

Let's really freak out the hardliners: The refitted Enterprise's new M-5 Computer System freaks out and begins assimilating the crew in order to make the Enterprie more effecient.
Old October 12 2013, 03:29 AM   #122
Tiberius
Commodore

I honestly don't think that the choice of villain is a contributing factor to how good the movie will be. Khan was the villain in two films. The Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness. One was excellent, the other was a steaming pile of targ manure. So I don't give a shit about whether the Borg are the villain or not. I just want a good movie.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 12:51 PM   #123
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Tiberius wrote: View Post
I honestly don't think that the choice of villain is a contributing factor to how good the movie will be. Khan was the villain in two films. The Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness. One was excellent, the other was a steaming pile of targ manure.
Boy, you don't find too many people who don't like The Wrath of Khan!
Old October 12 2013, 01:41 PM   #124
Lance
Fleet Captain

I think it's..... possible that it could actually happen. From a marketing perspective, putting aside the fact that it would make some people's heads explode for the alleged 'wrongness' of having the Borg in the TOS era, it would be a no brainer to use the Borg because, like it or not, they are one of Star Trek's most identifiable things for a broad population. Just like Khan. And the bottom line to those marketing guys is just being able to put the Borg on the poster so that people will go out and buy a movie ticket.

From a personal perspective, I hope it doesn't happen. I hope they can be more original, even if that means giving us a new villain from an already established alien race, just as they did with Nero the Romulan in the 2009 movie. Maybe the well-worn Klingons? Or maybe even give us a villain who isn't identifiable by his/her association with a past Star Trek race..... a brand new face. I mean, it can happen, right?

Or maybe they could find a middle ground, and throw a curve ball into the mix: a villain from the Prime Trek universe who has already been established as having actually existed in the TOS era, but who were never actually seen facing off against the TOS crew, thus satisfying all the above criteria. The 2009 movie clearly stated that Cardassians were known to this version of Starfleet's finest..... maybe make the villain Gul Somebody-or-other, and have our first chronological experience of Starfleet-versus-Cardassia? If Star Trek Into Darkness established one thing, it's that the DS9 era (Section 31) could be a particular gold-mine for the writers.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 05:11 PM   #125
SeerSGB
Admiral

Just about any of the "God" Living-Computers from TOS would be a set up for a Borg story. Landru, M-5, Val, all of them could used as a story point about a computer creating a species of "Borg" out of their respective races.
Old October 12 2013, 06:04 PM   #126
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I honestly don't think that the choice of villain is a contributing factor to how good the movie will be. Khan was the villain in two films. The Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness. One was excellent, the other was a steaming pile of targ manure.
Boy, you don't find too many people who don't like The Wrath of Khan!
Wrath of Khan was never Teh Best Star Trek Evar, not by a long shot, but I think "steaming pile of targ manure" is a bit strong.
Old October 12 2013, 06:14 PM   #127
Balrog
Commodore

Will Nick Meyer ever catch a break from Trek fans? WTF...
Old October 12 2013, 06:32 PM   #128
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

The Borg would be great, I miss them! Was really disappointed with the glimpse of NuKlingons, but perhaps seeing more of them will reveal some awesomeness still intact.
The advancements in CGI could deliver some pretty immense Borg, as long as they don't clean them up, over do it and, ruin it.
Old October 12 2013, 11:00 PM   #129
Makarov
Commander

I kind of think the star trek franchise might want to move on from the Borg now. We've already killed their Queen on film. If we're gonna fight them again, maybe make it destroy the Borg for good.

Otherwise, the Borg will forever be the be-all-end-all star trek villain. Will Star Trek ever again have an alien race that becomes as menacing as the Borg? I think it should try atleast
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 11:43 PM   #130
BillJ
Admiral

Makarov wrote: View Post
I kind of think the star trek franchise might want to move on from the Borg now.
It has been eleven years since they've been on screen (nearly twenty since their sole appearance on the big screen). Just because Trek fans have seen every appearance numerous times and dissected them to death doesn't mean general audiences have.

I think a Borg movie made by the current Powers That Be has the absolute best chance Trek has to be a seven-hundred million to a billion dollar grossing film.
Old October 13 2013, 08:53 AM   #131
Tiberius
Commodore

Balrog wrote: View Post
I think they are joking. The steaming pile of targ manure I was referring to is STiD. I think TWoK is an excellent movie.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 01:29 PM   #132
BillJ
Admiral

I think they are joking. The steaming pile of targ manure I was referring to is STiD. I think TWoK is an excellent movie.
We all know.

I was more just acknowledging the comment as another drive-by insult on Star Trek Into Darkness.
Old October 13 2013, 01:45 PM   #133
Use of Time
Commodore

I think it has gotten to the point that the Borg are almost as much of a household name to non Star Trek fans as Klingons are. I've heard the term "resistance is futile" from several people who have never seen Star Trek. I have a feeling people would love the Borg on the big screen again.
Old October 13 2013, 06:21 PM   #134
SeerSGB
Admiral

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I think it has gotten to the point that the Borg are almost as much of a household name to non Star Trek fans as Klingons are. I've heard the term "resistance is futile" from several people who have never seen Star Trek. I have a feeling people would love the Borg on the big screen again.
You'd have to horror-show them up a bit more. Really amp up the undead/zombie aspect of them. It'd have to go further than space-vampires form FC and VOY and go for the scare.

Where as there as those--like me--that think, TWOK is an over hyped--at best--average film that makes the TOS crew look like out of touch idiots.

BillJ wrote: View Post
We all know.

I was more just acknowledging the comment as another drive-by insult on Star Trek Into Darkness.
Not to mention: The same crap was being said (the now beloved) TWOK. And I'd wager, by some of the same people that now herald as the pinnacle of Trek film.
Old October 13 2013, 07:51 PM   #135
Yanks
Fleet Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Not to mention: The same crap was being said (the now beloved) TWOK. And I'd wager, by some of the same people that now herald as the pinnacle of Trek film.
True. Just watched it again this morning.

STID is a pretty darn good movie.

Although I'm one of those that thinks TWoK is treks finest.