Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 10 2013, 08:04 PM   #76
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Re: Nostalgia of old tv sets

We didn't get out first color TV until 1969. Dad refused to buy a new one 'til our old one died, so Mum told my older sister to whack the side of it every time she went past it (and she did it too). I assume she didn't tell myself or my younger brother due to fears of us inadvertently finking to Dad.

It worked. And the first show I saw in color was Hogan's Heroes. Didn't start to watch Trek until 1971 because my parents, who watched crap like Batman or Lost in Space, didn't like Star Trek! I only saw one or two first run.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 09:04 PM   #77
Chensams
Vice Admiral

I used to sit there with my older brother trying to see who would see the enterprise first when it zoomed through during the opening.

SEE IT!!!!
Old October 10 2013, 11:26 PM   #78
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I am a little nostalgic for a time when TOS was the coolest, most exciting, most wonderful thing on tv At least it was to me!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 03:12 AM   #79
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post
What a difference from todays, Judge Judy's or Doctor OZ schlock, and we wonder why teenagers lack intelligence these days.
So true, Dave...so true. Whatever flaws these shows may have had, the ideas and imagination were truly inspiring!

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
We get the Me-TV network where I live, and our upstairs TV is just antenna (it was too expensive to have someone run the FiOS line up there also), and on Saturdays at 9pm I'll go watch TOS up there, just to have a little of the feeling I had back in the day, of watching Star Trek on an antenna-based TV!
I admire/envy KirkusOveractus for this: I've been hankering to re-visit the snowy broadcasts of yore! I'm even preparing some simulated video clips of such (which so far look really authentic and cool), but can't decide where to post them...
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 08:30 AM   #80
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Every once in awhile I do watch an pre-HD era TV show on an older CRT. Not just for nostalgia, but that some shows seem to look much better on them than unconverted in HDTV (at least to my eyes). One example is DS9, it looks brand spanking new when I watch it on a 36 inch Trinitron.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 10:00 AM   #81
Metryq
Captain

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Every once in awhile I do watch an pre-HD era TV show on an older CRT. Not just for nostalgia, but that some shows seem to look much better on them than unconverted in HDTV (at least to my eyes).
Ah, the rose-colored glasses effect that also makes "tube amps sound better."
Old October 11 2013, 10:06 AM   #82
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Given how it is mastered for 480i, it looks pretty crummy upconverted, especially being interlaced. With CRT the flaws are less apparent and doesn't feel as video-like. I really do look forward to seeing DS9 remastered for HD. It's the most interesting looking of all the spin-offs with the unique sets, lighting and composition.
Old October 11 2013, 02:34 PM   #83
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Metryq wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Every once in awhile I do watch an pre-HD era TV show on an older CRT. Not just for nostalgia, but that some shows seem to look much better on them than unconverted in HDTV (at least to my eyes).
Ah, the rose-colored glasses effect that also makes "tube amps sound better."
As Makeshift said, it's more than simple nostalgia. Older shows weren't made to be seen in such crisp, clear resolution. The flaws are more noticeable.

Have you ever seen pictures of some of the props and starship models? Up close to the real human eye these props can look cheap and fake and sometimes even sloppy, yet they look good on screen.

Sometimes these things weren't made to be viewed at the highest resolution.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 04:07 PM   #84
Metryq
Captain

Shawnster wrote: View Post
As Makeshift said, it's more than simple nostalgia. Older shows weren't made to be seen in such crisp, clear resolution. The flaws are more noticeable.
Many live TV shows had to rebuild their sets when HDTV arrived because of this. However, it has nothing to do with watching old signals on a new TV.

If the show was shot on film, and that film is remastered in the new medium, then the finer details and flaws captured on film will stand out. But if a Standard Definition (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) signal is run on an HDTV (with upscaling), the only artifacts that will stand out are those of the signal—like watching a heavily compressed video intended for mobile Web devices on an HDTV.

That's what I meant by "rose colored glasses." Sometimes artists depended on the lack of fidelity in an old medium (like standard def analog TV) to hide details that should not be seen (like the wires that flew the Eagles in SPACE: 1999).
Old October 11 2013, 09:00 PM   #85
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Many live TV shows had to rebuild their sets when HDTV arrived because of this. However, it has nothing to do with watching old signals on a new TV.

If the show was shot on film, and that film is remastered in the new medium, then the finer details and flaws captured on film will stand out. But if a Standard Definition (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) signal is run on an HDTV (with upscaling), the only artifacts that will stand out are those of the signal—like watching a heavily compressed video intended for mobile Web devices on an HDTV.

That's what I meant by "rose colored glasses." Sometimes artists depended on the lack of fidelity in an old medium (like standard def analog TV) to hide details that should not be seen (like the wires that flew the Eagles in SPACE: 1999).
Yeah, you have the right idea there. I have no trouble watching TOS or TNG in HD as they are remastered and look great, but other shows produced on 480i resolution video tape (or at least still stuck in that realm) don't really look flattering when upscaled. At least with TOS on DVD it was 480p from a film master.
Old October 11 2013, 09:24 PM   #86
Melakon
Vice Admiral

We may be thinking of two different things with the term "live TV". In the 1950s, several television series were broadcast live (I'm old enough to have watched them). These days, it seems live TV is mostly limited to news broadcasts on the national and local levels. I know some local stations had to upgrade their news sets for high definition.
Old October 12 2013, 02:45 AM   #87
Metryq
Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
We may be thinking of two different things with the term "live TV".
Nope. "Live TV" means you are watching events in realtime, save any minor delays incurred by broadcast technology.

The salient point I was making concerned the master format of a program. Shows produced in film can look better to today's audiences than originally broadcast, provided those source films are remastered to HDTV.

A show mastered in video, such as DOCTOR WHO, will never look any better than its first run. Upscaling it to HDTV will not bring out any more detail in the scene, and may actually enhance the artifacts of the old analog TV and recording systems.

As for those live shows of the early '50s, any recordings of them will unquestionably look far worse today than originally broadcast since they had to be recorded with kinescopes (film cameras shooting a video screen; the reverse of telecine). Practical VTRs did not exist before the mid-50s.

Anyone nostalgic for the Fisher Price PXL-2000, which used audio cassettes?
Old October 12 2013, 04:13 AM   #88
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Okay, I'll agree with you on that point. As wonderful as Ernie Kovacs was with his videotape experiments, they've aged terribly.
Old October 12 2013, 05:32 AM   #89
ZapBrannigan
Captain

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
Since my parents still have the Sylvania, I should go over there one Saturday night and watch it there, and completely throw myself back in time! I absolutely can't believe the TV still works!
There was a brief interval after the U.S. converted to digital television when I hadn't yet bought a modern TV set. I used a converter box to watch digital broadcasts on my old TV.

It was weird. The picture seemed small. The image was square within the curved edges of the CRT. So I don't think you'll get that old-time feeling from a digital broadcast. The thing to do is watch a Star Trek DVD on you parents' old TV. That would look about right.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 06:28 AM   #90
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
Okay, I'll agree with you on that point. As wonderful as Ernie Kovacs was with his videotape experiments, they've aged terribly.
Wow..the last person I ever expected to see mentioned in a Star Trek forum was Ernie Kovacs! He was funny as hell.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote