Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old October 11 2013, 07:43 PM   #631
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Remember accidents do happen, and you might catch a disease or virus that needs expensive treatment. Anything is possible.

In the UK for example it is estimated that unisured drivers at £33 (US$50) to every premium. I don't like the fact that I am having to pay extra just because some won't take out insurance.

A lack of work eperiance can mean your resumé finds it's way to the bottom of the pile.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old October 11 2013, 07:45 PM   #632
J.T.B.
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
My dad doesn't deserve to get insulted by some random guy on the internet for no other reason than the person doesn't like me or thinks my dad shouldn't put up with me.
That's true. He probably doesn't deserve a son who's too lazy to work, either. There are some people who would see their parents in that kind of situation and actually try to help, most obviously by getting a job.

Besides, all I need to know is that the government is charging me for being alive.
And yet you apparently have no problem "charging" your parents and taxpayers for you being alive.

I don't need obamacare, I don't want it, and its still going to only cause me problems.
No one needs health insurance, until they need it. I'm pretty healthy and I never thought that a pane of glass would break on me and my fingers would need $10,000 worth of micro-surgery. Then one day it happened.

I'm not too bothered by that. I'm sure that, regardless of my lack of resume, I'll someday be able to get some kind of job, and since its all minimum wage one job is basically the same as any other.
It may not be as easy as you think. Employers will wonder why this guy hasn't worked all these years, but probably won't want to find out. You will not be able to demonstrate that you have developed habits of responsibility, dependability, punctuality and so on.
Old October 11 2013, 07:48 PM   #633
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Health insurance should always remain optional. Its expensive, and not something that will effect anyone but yourself (I don't really care about what the costs of paying for uninsured medical care does to other people, there is no reason to screw over so many people because of that).
So requiring you to get health insurance would be screwing you over, but requiring the rest of us to pay for your medical bills isn't screwing us?
Old October 11 2013, 07:51 PM   #634
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Lindley wrote: View Post
Minimum wage is no way to live.

Find something you like doing, then figure out a way to make money off it. Simple as that.

Minimum wage is the only way my family has lived for a long time. Nothing I like to do contributes to any job I could get.

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
It may not be as easy as you think. Employers will wonder why this guy hasn't worked all these years, but probably won't want to find out. You will not be able to demonstrate that you have developed habits of responsibility, dependability, punctuality and so on.
I don't think it will be easy, I just think it will be the same level of difficulty that it is now. I'm 22 (23 in 3 days), I don't think I'm quite at the point where my advanced age will make getting a job impossible, even if I don't get a job for a few years.

Kreacher wrote: View Post
Health insurance should always remain optional. Its expensive, and not something that will effect anyone but yourself (I don't really care about what the costs of paying for uninsured medical care does to other people, there is no reason to screw over so many people because of that).

So requiring you to get health insurance would be screwing you over, but requiring the rest of us to pay for your medical bills isn't screwing us?

Everyone gets screwed. Life seems to be making sure you get screwed the least. From a personal perspective, if someone is going to get screwed, I don't want it to be me. I'm pretty sure thats a normal reaction.
Old October 11 2013, 07:51 PM   #635
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Health insurance... Its expensive, and not something that will effect anyone but yourself (I don't really care about what the costs of paying for uninsured medical care does to other people, there is no reason to screw over so many people because of that).
So... you don't care about the facts which correct your statement?
Old October 11 2013, 07:53 PM   #636
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Vulture Capitalist wrote: View Post
Health insurance... Its expensive, and not something that will effect anyone but yourself (I don't really care about what the costs of paying for uninsured medical care does to other people, there is no reason to screw over so many people because of that).
I understand that uninsured people cost hospitals money, and I've heard that the cost eventually makes it so that people with insurance pay more. Like I said before, someone is going to get screwed. I'd prefer it to be people who aren't me or my family.
Old October 11 2013, 07:58 PM   #637
RoJoHen
Awesome

TheRedPill wrote: View Post
Tax forms for young single people constitute a whole page.
Taxes are easy as shit if you're a single person with just one job. It takes me about 20 minutes to do them every year.

AND THEN I GET MONEY BACK! I love tax season!

Seriously, kirk5555, you know that at some point in the future you are going to have to get a job. In order to do that successfully, you will need to provide work history. The older you get without ever having a job, the more difficult it will be to get one down the road. A 40-year old man who turns in an application with no work history is going to get thrown in the trash.

You live at home, and it seems that your parents are okay with that. Why not at least poke around with some part-time work? Even if you don't need it to pay bills right now, you could start saving money for later. Even if you don't have the most glamorous job in the world, it doesn't have to be a horrible burden. My first job was bagging groceries about 15 hours a week for minimum wage. The job itself wasn't fun, but I made some friends and managed to work my way up in the company. After 9 months, I was promoted to another department in the store, where I made even more friends and started earning more money. I ended up being there for 6 years.

I've had 5 or 6 jobs in my life, and I actually enjoyed most of them. I have made more friends at my current job than I ever imagined was possible. Sometimes the financial situation is a strain, but I have benefited in so many other ways that it's totally worth it. I couldn't imagine my life without a job (I mean, really, what do you do all day?).

Just because you are unskilled and uneducated on paper doesn't mean you can't learn skills at the job. We all have to start somewhere, and for most of us, that means the bottom. But the awesome thing about starting at the bottom is that there's nowhere to go but up! You might surprise yourself.
Old October 11 2013, 07:59 PM   #638
Manticore
Rear Admiral

I understand that uninsured people cost hospitals money, and I've heard that the cost eventually makes it so that people with insurance pay more. Like I said before, someone is going to get screwed. I'd prefer it to be people who aren't me or my family.
You do realize that bankruptcy screws you over too, right?
Old October 11 2013, 08:01 PM   #639
RoJoHen
Awesome

Manticore wrote: View Post

Bankruptcy only screws people over that have ambitions of ever accomplishing anything.
Old October 11 2013, 08:08 PM   #640
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
TheRedPill wrote: View Post
Tax forms for young single people constitute a whole page.
Taxes are easy as shit if you're a single person with just one job. It takes me about 20 minutes to do them every year.

AND THEN I GET MONEY BACK! I love tax season!

Seriously, kirk5555, you know that at some point in the future you are going to have to get a job. In order to do that successfully, you will need to provide work history. The older you get without ever having a job, the more difficult it will be to get one down the road. A 40-year old man who turns in an application with no work history is going to get thrown in the trash.

You live at home, and it seems that your parents are okay with that. Why not at least poke around with some part-time work? Even if you don't need it to pay bills right now, you could start saving money for later. Even if you don't have the most glamorous job in the world, it doesn't have to be a horrible burden. My first job was bagging groceries about 15 hours a week for minimum wage. The job itself wasn't fun, but I made some friends and managed to work my way up in the company. After 9 months, I was promoted to another department in the store, where I made even more friends and started earning more money. I ended up being there for 6 years.

I've had 5 or 6 jobs in my life, and I actually enjoyed most of them. I have made more friends at my current job than I ever imagined was possible. Sometimes the financial situation is a strain, but I have benefited in so many other ways that it's totally worth it. I couldn't imagine my life without a job (I mean, really, what do you do all day?).

Just because you are unskilled and uneducated on paper doesn't mean you can't learn skills at the job. We all have to start somewhere, and for most of us, that means the bottom. But the awesome thing about starting at the bottom is that there's nowhere to go but up! You might surprise yourself.
I already know that the bottom is where I'll stay whenever I end up getting a job. Whatever I do, its going to be the lowest job avaliable. I have no particular skills. I'll get a job kicking and screaming against the inevitability of it, and then if I'm lucky keep the same (or similar) entry level type jobs until I'm too old to work. The only solace is that being at the bottom, it probably won't get any worse.

Manticore wrote: View Post

Bankruptcy only screws people over that have ambitions of ever accomplishing anything.

Whose bankruptcy are you even talking about?

Anyway, you're right about one thing. I have absolutely no ambitions of ever accomplishing anything outside of surviving. Jobs aren't for accomplishing anything, atleast not the jobs I could get. They're to make sure you don't starve to death. Since thats not an issue right now, I'm not looking to ruin my life with a job yet. There is nothing I want to accomplish, even if working did accomplish anything but survival.
Old October 11 2013, 08:10 PM   #641
RoJoHen
Awesome

What exactly is the point of survival if you're not going to do anything with it?
Old October 11 2013, 08:13 PM   #642
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

What exactly is the point of survival if you're not going to do anything with it?
What is there to do with it? I just want to read, watch tV, play video games, etc. I can do that now. Whenever I'm forced to get a job, that stuff that I currently live for becomes something I'd barely ever be able to do. So, getting a job, and survivng, means living less, but the alternative is being dead, and being a normal person I personally like being alive.
Old October 11 2013, 08:16 PM   #643
RoJoHen
Awesome

I guess you'll never figure out what there is to live for until you try to actually do it. But since you are convinced that there's nothing out there for you, enjoy your bleak existence.
Old October 11 2013, 08:17 PM   #644
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

What is there to do with it? I just want to read, watch tV, play video games, etc. I can do that now. Whenever I'm forced to get a job, that stuff that I currently live for becomes something I'd barely ever be able to do. So, getting a job, and survivng, means living less, but the alternative is being dead, and being a normal person I personally like being alive.
What about helping your parents out? If they're on public assistance, it's probably a struggle to have to also take care of you.
Old October 11 2013, 08:18 PM   #645
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

I got signed up. My annual payment for my full insurance now is 0.00 dollars a year.

After 20 years of being denied for pre existing conditions, I will have coverage.

The Doctor on Doctor who once said "Be the best of humanity you possibly can be."

You are failing.

You think we all dont want to just laze around and do jack? Id love to, but thats not how the world works, unless you have someone to sponge off of. We work to feed ourselves and our habits.