Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 8 2013, 07:10 PM   #76
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Starfleeters?

Yeah, it was. Peace.
Old October 9 2013, 02:12 AM   #77
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
At various times a ship's compliment is mentioned it's usually followed by the word officers. EG the Enterprise D has 1000 officers, Defiant has 40 officers, Voyager 150 officers and so on.
Not quite...the 1000 people on the Ent-D included the families...I doubt that they were ever referred to as "officers".
Old October 10 2013, 05:23 AM   #78
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

You do realize that Gene Roddenberry was both a naval veteran and a police officer? It is no coincidence the show's terminology reflected aspects of both organizations.

No matter the rank, ALL are "police officers". Our chief of police was a sworn police officer, as were all of us in the department.

Naval officers are NOT the same as enlisted personnel. No self-respecting naval person would allow you to confuse them with the other ones. The only difference is that enlisted sailors will call you out more vehemently than officers.
Old October 10 2013, 05:30 AM   #79
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
You do realize that Gene Roddenberry was both a naval veteran and a police officer? It is no coincidence the show's terminology reflected aspects of both organizations.

No matter the rank, ALL are "police officers". Our chief of police was a sworn police officer, as were all of us in the department.

Naval officers are NOT the same as enlisted personnel. No self-respecting naval person would allow you to confuse them with the other ones. The only difference is that enlisted sailors will call you out more vehemently than officers.
Gene was in the US Army Air Corps/Forces.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 07:19 AM   #80
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post

My uncle was a career CPO in the navy... most calm, collected and disciplined man I ever met in my life. The only time I ever saw him get angry was when I was 9 and asked him if he wanted to be an officer so he could get paid more.

I didn't get it at the time for some reason and was just proud that I had memorize military ranks in a book I had read.
Old October 10 2013, 02:04 PM   #81
starburst
Fleet Captain

Starfleet Officer, Starfleet is made up of Commissioned and Non-Commissioned Officers. In some of the shows, mainly Voyager and Enterprise, they labelled the generic characters as Crewmen (even when some of them have rank)

Its the military today who get hung up between Officer and NCO(fficer) ranks and who gets called an Officer.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 05:14 PM   #82
Use of Time
Commodore

starburst wrote: View Post
Starfleet Officer, Starfleet is made up of Commissioned and Non-Commissioned Officers. In some of the shows, mainly Voyager and Enterprise, they labelled the generic characters as Crewmen (even when some of them have rank)

Its the military today who get hung up between Officer and NCO(fficer) ranks and who gets called an Officer.
All enlisted personnel are not called NCO's. An NCO is an enlisted person that achives the E-4 grade in the Navy and E-5 grade in the Army. Enlisted personnel below that are not NCO's. That is probably why "crewman" in Starfleet is most likely similar to "seamen" in the Navy or "Private" in the Army.

That is why I disagree with the term "officers" as a catch all. That and most enlisted personnel hate to be mistaken for officers.
Old October 10 2013, 05:21 PM   #83
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It's seems to be exactly this. Although they are similar, they're ultimately different services with different terms and values.
Old October 10 2013, 05:52 PM   #84
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Use of Time wrote: View Post
That is why I disagree with the term "officers" as a catch all. That and most enlisted personnel hate to be mistaken for officers.
How many Starfleet members do you personally know? Have you asked them?
Old October 10 2013, 06:10 PM   #85
Use of Time
Commodore

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
How many Starfleet members do you personally know? Have you asked them?
HA!
Old October 10 2013, 06:53 PM   #86
R. Star
Rear Admiral

There are plenty at any convention... but all of them are officers.... captains usually.
Old October 11 2013, 01:39 PM   #87
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

All enlisted personnel are not called NCO's. An NCO is an enlisted person that achives the E-4 grade in the Navy and E-5 grade in the Army. Enlisted personnel below that are not NCO's. That is probably why "crewman" in Starfleet is most likely similar to "seamen" in the Navy or "Private" in the Army.

All true, but in the Army an E-4 can be an NCO if he/she is a Corporal. Yes it is a lateral promotion and the pay grade is the same, but he/she does wear stripes and is referred to as an NCO.
Old October 11 2013, 01:44 PM   #88
Use of Time
Commodore

Sigokat wrote: View Post

All true, but in the Army an E-4 can be an NCO if he/she is a Corporal. Yes it is a lateral promotion and the pay grade is the same, but he/she does wear stripes and is referred to as an NCO.
Yep, forgot about the CPL. I rarely encountered them during my tenure but yes they are very much NCO's.
Old October 11 2013, 01:53 PM   #89
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

Sigokat wrote: View Post

Yep, forgot about the CPL. I rarely encountered them during my tenure but yes they are very much NCO's.
Yeah it all depends on if the unit has CPL billets. I see them every once in a while and I used to think CPL was reserved for combat arms MOSs, but I have seen a few 42A CPLs and I think even a Supply one once.
Old October 11 2013, 02:49 PM   #90
J.T.B.
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Plenty. At various times a ship's compliment is mentioned it's usually followed by the word officers. EG the Enterprise D has 1000 officers, Defiant has 40 officers, Voyager 150 officers and so on.
OK, thanks. Any specific episodes?

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I find the term "Starfleet Officers" as a catch all for everyone to be unecessarilly redundant, misleading and possibly disrespectful to the enlisted pesonnel.
It does raise the question of why the same word would be used in two different ways, one that includes everyone and one that does not. But like a lot of issues dealing with Starfleet enlisted personnel, they made it up as they went along so there are bound to be inconsistencies.

I don't think we can assume all enlisted personnel are non-commissioned or petty officers, which has historically meant a position of some technical and/or leadership experience. And "crewman" is apparently a rank or class of rank: "crewman first class" is used in "The Drumhead."
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote