Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 4 2013, 11:06 PM   #616
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

The ice warriors. I didn't much care for the animation, but an enjoyable story with a great cast.

Very odd end music,almost Trek like with the singing.

Bernard Bresslaw did a decent performance in a limiting costume.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 12:16 AM   #617
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Pindar wrote: View Post
The ice warriors. I didn't much care for the animation, but an enjoyable story with a great cast.

Is the animation at least a step above the recon (Which has ep 2 and 3 together truncated to only a single 17 minute segment)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 01:36 AM   #618
diankra
Commodore

Bresslaw is superb. He could have said 'I've earned my money by just staying alive in that', but he insisted on playing the charcter as well.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 09:15 AM   #619
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Is the animation at least a step above the recon (Which has ep 2 and 3 together truncated to only a single 17 minute segment)
The animation is much the same as the other reconstructed episodes. Some of it looks flash animation on top of pretty average CGI.

On the whole though it's well worth a watch.

I got a Terror of the Zygons the other day so I hope to get that started this weekend.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 03:45 AM   #620
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Just watched Terror of the Zygons. Holy cow! It's one of the only serials that I've managed to remain near-wholly unspoiled on (the only other may be The Talons of Weng-Chiang).

It's clearly the finale for Season 12, and really should have been kept there. Nessie was a letdown, but it was good that they didn't use the model too much - it helped disguise the...inadequacy. The whole first episode was perfect, especially the Doctor's annoyance at the Brigadier calling him back. It really helped establish why the Fourth Doctor worked much less with UNIT than the Third Doctor. Sarah, Harry, Benton, and the Brigadier all had great moments, and it's a great shame that this was Harry's last regular appearance. Really wish they'd kept him on.

The Zygons themselves were a bit disappointing, as their plan was blatantly obvious in the middle of the second episode. But they're definitely distinctive, and I'm surprised that they were never brought back in another Classic serial. One wonders if the costumes degraded in storage; they were quite well-done.

And, of course, it feels like Douglas Camfield's swan song. A much better story than The Seeds of Doom. Great script, great acting, and fantastic direction.

I knew that a scene had been added as a Director's Cut, and chose to watch the first episode with it added. Fantastic restoration work by Babelcolour. Like The Mind of Evil's first episode, if I hadn't known beforehand that it was recolorized, I never would have guessed.

All in all, it's clearly one of the best Fourth Doctor stories, and I'm kinda glad they kept it for the very end of the DVD range. Obviously, this and The Tenth Planet were supposed to be the grand finale, and it would have brought the range to a much more satisfying end than the VHS range had. Of course, the recovery of missing episodes torpedoes that plan, but it's still a good decision in hindsight.
Old October 10 2013, 03:55 AM   #621
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Turbo wrote: View Post
... it's a great shame that this was Harry's last regular appearance. Really wish they'd kept him on.
I liked Harry, too. Have you read any of the novelizations Ian Marter wrote? He added in more atmosphere and flavor than Terrance Dicks or most of the others who novelized the episodes. His descriptions of the Wyrrn nearly made me lose my supper...

He wrote a standalone novel, too - Harry Sullivan's War.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 07:31 AM   #622
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
And I wholeheartedly agree that "Revelation of the Daleks" is dreadful. I like one description I heard of it, that it's like Eric Saward decided he would just do a pastiche of every single story that Robert Holmes ever wrote.
Apparently some people see it as cutting edge, biting social satire but yeah, I thought it was appaling.
Old October 11 2013, 03:00 AM   #623
diankra
Commodore

Slightly OT, but today's Times carries an obit for the Tibetan exile who in 1967 founded the first Tibetan Buddhist retreat in the uk, one Choje Rinpoche. Might just ring a few bells here...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:05 PM   #624
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
And I wholeheartedly agree that "Revelation of the Daleks" is dreadful. I like one description I heard of it, that it's like Eric Saward decided he would just do a pastiche of every single story that Robert Holmes ever wrote.
Apparently some people see it as cutting edge, biting social satire but yeah, I thought it was appaling.
Absolutely agreed with both.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 06:52 PM   #625
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

The Aztecs was on Watch this afternoon. To me, it was more of an interesting curio than an enjoyable story. Nice to see Hartnell and his team in action, as I've seen so little of that era. I'm also more used to William Russell as an elderly gent on TV than a young action man.

It must be said that the picture quality in this broadcast was very good, while the sets and costumes did not fit the DW stereotype of looking cheap and wobbly.
Old October 13 2013, 06:50 PM   #626
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Just watched The Ice Warriors with the new animation. I thought the animation wasn't very good in comparison to the animation used for The Invasion and The Reign of Terror, which isn't much of a surprise since a different company (Qurios) made it. Fortunately, Planet 55, which made the animation for The Reign of Terror, is doing the animation for The Tenth Planet and The Moonbase.

I didn't really care for the The Ice Warriors, animation or not. A simple base under siege story is stretched too thinly over six episodes and the only redeeming qualities are Plenly and Clent as well as the dependency of computer computation theme. Otherwise, complete rubbish. But then I've never cared for the Ice Warriors with exception of Cold War, although that was mostly despite of them instead of because of them.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 07:39 PM   #627
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Tomb of the Cybermen was on Watch today and it was a lot more enjoyable than The Aztecs. The template for modern Who was much more recognisable and really, with some re-writing, it could easily be tweaked for a modern episode. Troughton also is much more 'Doctor-ish' than Hartnell was in the Aztecs.
Old October 13 2013, 09:30 PM   #628
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Tomb of the Cybermen's sole sore spot, really, is the portrayal of African American in the story as a servant to the white folks. While I don't condone it, the story itself is still largely entertaining and unlike others of its ilk, it moves at a decent pace.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 10:43 PM   #629
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Yeah, and it's even more unfortunate that Toberman's backstory, which was in the script, got cut out. Toberman was deaf and Kaftan paid for a surgery to fix his hearing, which explains a lot of his lack of speech and his loyalty to her. On screen, he does come across as basically a slave.
Old October 14 2013, 01:11 AM   #630
DWF
Vice Admiral

Dalek Invasion Of Earth and IMO it still holds up and the Doctor's speech at the end to Susan one ofhte best speeches in the history of the show.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote