RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,399
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 576
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 9 2013, 11:50 PM   #16
dub
Captain

Re: Vulcan sense of smell

Kirby wrote: View Post
BigJake wrote: View Post
It does occur to me that viewed from a certain vantage point, it can really seem like a lot of Vulcans are just jerks.
This. In fact, I never really liked Spock until the movies.
Yeah! Vulcans suck! I bet they stink! Green-blooded, inhuman...
dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 11:55 PM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

"Most Vulcans smell of dust.."

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 12:01 AM   #18
Melakon
Vice Admiral

But only when they spread their legs.
Old October 10 2013, 12:09 AM   #19
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Good time for...
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 12:17 AM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Indeed.

Another lovely thing was "Time travel is impossible." Dude, the core audience of your show knows that it's not.

Though it would have been interesting to make it somewhat a mystery if Archer was just crazy, was being tricked, or if he really was in contact with a time traveler.
T'Pol had an almost religious devotion to the Vulcan Science Institute's declaration that time travel was impossible, even with tons of evidence to the contrary.

Hey I think time travel is impossible too. But if I start seeing evidence of it thrown in my face, I'm sure I would start to reevaluate that belief.
Old October 10 2013, 01:02 AM   #21
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

I really dont see the problem or need for ENT bashing.

Archer states that it is Vulcan females. So the two main Vulcan characters we had up till that point were male. None of the other Vulcan episodes with female Vulcans had a smell comment, so what?

T'pol is serving centuries before those other Vulcans. She is also the FIRST female to be serving aboard a human ship. This Vulcan-Human relationship is in its infancy, just because the Vulcans are explorers it does not mean they snuggle up with every smelly humanoid they come across. In fact, they seem quite stand-offish and happy to observe from afar [unlike the human desire to set foot on every random planet, asteroid, moon...]

So for T'pol, a young Vulcan female, with limited experience of humans [and that seemingly in built Vulcan arrogance] it doesn't seem that out of place for her to make a comment regarding the smell. Certainly it is a more unusual situation for her than it would be for a 24th century Vulcan female, serving about a Federation starship, having graduated from Starfleet Academy on Earth.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 01:19 AM   #22
Melakon
Vice Admiral

TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post
This seems to be directed at me for creating the thread in the first place I guess. But it's not what I would consider ENT bashing.
Old October 10 2013, 01:23 AM   #23
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post
This seems to be directed at me for creating the thread in the first place I guess. But it's not what I would consider ENT bashing.
I wasm't really being cheeky or anything: Just yourself and Jarod were accusing Enterprise of making things up just to be different.

I see it as a totally believable extension of Vulcans. I think one of ENT's biggest triumphs was how they fleshed out the Vulcan race. They started behaving like a living society instead of wooded sarcasm machines.

The sense of smell thing....I kinda like. Besides, the other shows had mentioned super strength...which seemed to come and go.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 01:44 AM   #24
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I actually wish the Vulcan strength had been more developed. ENT gave us some good hints, especially in "Bounty" when horny T'Pol shoves Phlox into a bulkhead, pries off a control panel and physically forces the door open.

But in many cases, ENT did seem to change things just to make them seem different, though they wound up doing exactly the same thing as things we'd seen before, only under a different name.

I'd suggest you see the ENT review thread that I'm about halfway through if you think I'm an ENT hater or something, but modesty prevents me from providing the link to the thread. I did not see the entire series until this year.
Old October 10 2013, 02:10 AM   #25
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Talking about the series and it's perceived inconsistencies in it isn't bashing. It's just discussion. The whole point of this board. And Melakon's thread rocks.
Old October 10 2013, 02:49 AM   #26
dub
Captain

Melakon rocks, period.
(but he kinda smells weird)
dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 05:05 AM   #27
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the support, guys.
bud wrote:
Well, when you live alone and are usually home about 23 hours a day, showers are low priority unless you're stepping outside the door.

I wasn't aware the odor was seeping through the monitors, so I'll try to be more diligent about it.
Old October 10 2013, 07:27 AM   #28
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
Thanks for the support, guys.
bud wrote:
Well, when you live alone and are usually home about 23 hours a day, showers are low priority unless you're stepping outside the door.

I wasn't aware the odor was seeping through the monitors, so I'll try to be more diligent about it.
You should've bought one of those smell friendly monitors Melakon. They're all the rage now.
Old October 10 2013, 09:36 AM   #29
Captain Rob
Commodore

I thought that we established a while back that Vulcans should smell like rusty pennies?
And in Dr Selar's few scenes. She always seemed to be sticking her nose up. Or that could have been just attitude.
Old October 10 2013, 10:31 AM   #30
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

By TOS era Vulcans had a handy nasal spray to mask offensive odors when off world.. but only noobs used it. Climatizing yourself to alien smells was an expected part of the learning curve of interspecies contact. After all, it's not like sehlats smell of roses. Vulcans get over it on their own planet when working with animals etc.. they can get over it on alien worlds as well.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote