Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 9 2013, 04:41 PM   #721
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
The other characters are okay. Although I quite often have trouble hearing what Fitz/Simmons are saying to each other.
They talk way too fast and overlapping. I have this issue as well.
It's like they just ate Fun Dip and a Jolt Cola.

I enjoyed this episode and look forward to May being in some bad ass fighting scenes in next weeks episode vs our red masked foes.

Graviton...returns for November sweeps? Possible movie character help?

Since we've seen Maria Hill and Nick Fury now I'd like to see some of the other SHIELD Agents we have modest familiarity with such as Sitwell. He's the next one that springs to mind.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:45 PM   #722
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I still say the pilot who fired the nuke at NYC should show up.
Old October 9 2013, 06:12 PM   #723
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
The other characters are okay. Although I quite often have trouble hearing what Fitz/Simmons are saying to each other.
They talk way too fast and overlapping. I have this issue as well.
It's like they just ate Fun Dip and a Jolt Cola.
I'm pretty sure that you're not supposed to understand them.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 06:28 PM   #724
davejames
Vice Admiral

Thought it was decently entertaining episode, although the show overall still feels way too slight and generic to me-- especially compared to other Whedon shows we've gotten. The millionaire playboy was a lame villain, and the wacky undercover mission to rescue the scientist felt like something straight out of an episode of Chuck.

I will say the Skye and Ward characters are becoming far more likeable though (even if they still aren't terribly interesting).
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 06:56 PM   #725
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I've seen the Chuck comparison made at a few sites now so that parallel seems to have merit. Other than a few min here or there I'm not versed enough to comment. Still, Chuck had a solid niche audience and NBC kept it alive for 5yrs. If the same can happen for SHIELD we should count ourselves fortunate...provided the quality is there. No one wants a HEROES repeat where after the first season it was past it's prime. That still went 4yrs.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 07:25 PM   #726
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

davejames wrote: View Post
Thought it was decently entertaining episode, although the show overall still feels way too slight and generic to me-- especially compared to other Whedon shows we've gotten.
That's how I feel about it as well. I'd like it if the tone of the show was a little closer to that of Person of Interest, but since this is more of a family show I guess that's just wishful thinking on my part.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 07:26 PM   #727
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I've seen the Chuck comparison made at a few sites now so that parallel seems to have merit. Other than a few min here or there I'm not versed enough to comment. Still, Chuck had a solid niche audience and NBC kept it alive for 5yrs. If the same can happen for SHIELD we should count ourselves fortunate...provided the quality is there. No one wants a HEROES repeat where after the first season it was past it's prime. That still went 4yrs.
Yeah well.. Chuck had a very dedicated fanbase and had started multiple actions to save it from cancellation and someone at the decision level must have liked the show enough to push them from season to season. It was the little show that could.

Shield is a different ballpark because of the background and the expectations.. it costs much more than Chuck to make and so has to be successful to be kept on air.

It had a 20% drop from pilot to second episode which is normal (some shows drop 50% or more) but this early no one can say how it will develop but if the show stays at this level they will go below 10 million viewers soon.

Let's wait and see.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 07:47 PM   #728
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

I'll watch it for as long as they keep it on the air. I'm not terribly picky as long as i'm entertained, and I really don't need all the characters to be worthy of Salon discussions. They're all exactly who i expect them to be.

Coulson's the leader, Special agent whats-his-face is Action Man, Sky's the hot geek, Fitz and Simmons are the weird geniuses and Melinda's the dark horse.

It's not firefly at all. It's NCIS and Criminal Minds with super humans. I don't mind one bit.

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 07:55 PM   #729
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I suppose it works fine for what it is... but I was still hoping for more from this show than just a fun, goofy lark. Or another generic NCIS.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 09:09 PM   #730
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah I suppose it works fine for what it is... but I was still hoping for more from this show than just a fun, goofy lark. Or another generic NCIS.
Agree. I don't like simple shows that lead you through the story and are filled with shallow characters. Someone posted upthread that Joss isn't the actual showrunner and this is giving me pause. Hpwever, I am hopeful that his influence will turn the show into something special a la Angel/Firefly.

I liked this episode more that the second one. Still watching...
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 09:30 PM   #731
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The show runner has Whedon DNA.

If Luke died killing small animals in the desert at 14, Leia could have been totally tapped to save the day in due course.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 09:33 PM   #732
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I think I'm done. I'm gonna let the DVR record the next couple and if I have time I might watch again. But, it's woefully generic (agreeing with whoever said it upthread) the leads (yeah, I said it) Skye and Mr. Square Jaw are pretty boring. And this particular episode felt like it was written out of the network playbook: the whole gun thing coming back and OF COURSE, thanks to Mr. Square Jaw, saving Skye's life... a neat little nugget of bland storytelling, by the numbers.

I guess if I'm going to go with a quirky team of Federal Agents trying to stop the world for gaining access to dangerous technology, I'm going with Warehouse 13.
Old October 9 2013, 09:33 PM   #733
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

We're only three episodes in. Each episode has shown a marked improvement. What do people want? How many shows are instant classics right out the gate? TNG? Buffy? DS9? B5? None of the above. This shown has just been great fun. I think it's way too early too pass judgement on it as it's really just getting started and finding its identity.
Old October 9 2013, 09:40 PM   #734
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

I really want this show to succeed so I'll be sticking with it in the hopes that it improves, but so far it is definitely not as good as I was hoping it would be.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 09:41 PM   #735
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Ratings were down, but AoS beat out NCIS in the most coveted demographics. Also, these are not final numbers as they don't take into account DVR and Hulu viewers, such as myself.