Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 8 2013, 06:57 PM   #46
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: Nostalgia of old tv sets

HGN2001 wrote: View Post
I do not miss the days of analog television at all. Those old tube sets may have some appeal to retro types, but I'll take my modern-day, flat-screen, perfect picture set any day.

Harry
As someone who grew up watching Star Trek on my iin bedroom B&W 14" TV - I sympathize (Yes, the main living room TV was color, but my parents didn't care for science fiction, so I never got to watch Star Trek or Lost In Space on the main TV); I also on't miss the days of rabbit ear antennas or snowy reception.

that said, sometime the Star Trek (TOS) Blu-Rays can reveal a bit too much detail for me these days (especially on my 73" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV) - where on some of the overhead bridge shots - you can tell the areas where they sanded down and repainted over (in black paint) some of the ship console areas, especially in some of the early first season eps.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:13 AM   #47
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

You had more than one tv in your home?? Wow. That's a lot of wooden cabinetry to polish!
Old October 9 2013, 02:48 AM   #48
Warped9
Admiral

We lived with those TV's back then and were content and we couldn't imagine what we would have today. But I doubt anyone could tolerate watching TV like that anymore.
Old October 9 2013, 03:26 AM   #49
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
I can't believe that it's already two pages and nobody has commented that the OP has the most awesomest username in all of the TrekBBS.
I already commented on it in another thread. Great name![/QUOTE]

Thanks, guys for the warm welcome and nice comments!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 03:34 AM   #50
ZapBrannigan
Captain

AtoZ wrote: View Post
Incredible. Your experiences by and large echo mine. I've been living in Scarborough my whole life. I first saw TOS on CTV, which back then was CFTO channel 9. I became addicted to it in 1970, watching it on weekends when it was on. Later, around 1974 WUTV channel 29 Buffalo started playing it each week night at 4pm. My picture was snowy on the nights I could get it and of course, B/W. My dad would never opt for cable...so I had to rough it....and I didn't care. One BIG problem with WUTV channel 29 was that they had SO many commercials (locally made...somewhat fun to watch) that they regularly chopped the episodes so that a known scene was missing. One time (and I recall it vividly), they chopped The Omega Glory so bad it not only was missing the fight scene in the cell with Cloud (just showed Kirk getting hit over the head....one didn't know how he got there or where Cloud got the bar) and bits of other scene's....it almost made no sense story-wise (LOL....beyond making nearly no sense it complete form...some may argue).

I almost miss those days.

Thanks for sharing your memories...they parallel mine to a good degree.
I was on the American side but watching the same stations at the same time. To this day I miss Canadian TV of the '70s on Saturday and Sunday mornings, with all its catchy commercial jingles for toys, Corn Flakes, and Wonder Bras-- some of which I can still sing from memory.

Regarding WUTV, my Dad once got us into their station headquarters on Grand Island for some kind of tour, and I remember asking what they did with all the Star Trek footage that they snipped from 16mm prints. That was the whole reason I wanted to go, in case bunches of film were sitting a waste basket and I could salvage some. They laughed and said they had to send it all back with the episodes.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:16 AM   #51
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I was on the American side but watching the same stations at the same time. To this day I miss Canadian TV of the '70s on Saturday and Sunday mornings, with all its catchy commercial jingles for toys, Corn Flakes, and Wonder Bras-- some of which I can still sing from memory.
You had Saturday morning commercials for Wonder Bras?!?
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:23 AM   #52
Warped9
Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Yeah, I guess it was a Canadian thing.

In those days the greater Toronto area (GTA) was something of a mecca for television reception in Canada even if you didn't have cable. When we moved to Mississauga from Etobicoke in 1969 we had one of those rotary antennas where you could use a rotary control to turn the TV aerial in the right direction (of whichever station) for better reception. It usually worked quite well.

The stations I recall getting:
Channel 2 NBC
Channel 3 CKVR (Barrie)
Channel 4 CBS
Channel 5 CBC CBLT (Toronto) (later this was changed to channel 6)
Channel 7 ABC (Buffalo)
Channel 8 CTV CFTO (Toronto) (later this was changed to channel 9)
Channel 11 CHCH (Hamilton)
Channel 17 PBS
Channel 19 TVO (Toronto)
Channel 22 Global (Toronto)
Channel 25 CBLFT (Toronto CBC French station)
Channel 29 FOX WUTV (Buffalo)
Channel 47 CFMT (Toronto multilingual station)
Channel 79 CITY-TV (Toronto) (later this was changed to channel 57)

Compared to today that selection looks like nothing, but back then we found we had tons of stuff to watch throughout the week. Today I have hundreds of channels at my disposal and I find little of genuine interest to watch. Of course a big part of that is not being of the prime demographic for programmers anymore. That as well as so much seeming to be recycled so a lot comes across as variations of same-old-same-old.

Last edited by Warped9; October 9 2013 at 06:02 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 08:09 AM   #53
ZapBrannigan
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post

In those days the greater Toronto area (GTA) was something of a mecca for television reception in Canada even if you didn't have cable. When we moved to Mississauga from Etobicoke in 1969 we had one of those rotary antennas where you could use a rotary control to turn the TV aerial in the right direction (of whichever station) for better reception. It usually worked quite well.

Channel 2 NBC
Channel 3 CKVR (Barrie)
Channel 4 CBS
Channel 7 ABC (Buffalo)
Channel 17 PBS
Channel 19 TVO (Toronto)

Compared to today that selection looks like nothing, but back then we found we had tons of stuff to watch throughout the week. Today I have hundreds of channels at my disposal and I find little of genuine interest to watch. Of course a big part of that is not being of the prime demographic for programmers anymore. That as well as so much seeming to be recycled so a lot comes across as variations of same-old-same-old.
Nice list! I (now) remember tuning in CBLFT (and I had to finesse the UHF dial like a safecracker) to watch James Bond movies in French. Of which I don't speak a word. This was before the VCR...
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 01:56 PM   #54
bbailey861
Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post

Channel 2 NBC
Channel 3 CKVR (Barrie)
Channel 4 CBS
Channel 7 ABC (Buffalo)
Channel 17 PBS
Channel 19 TVO (Toronto)

Nice list! I (now) remember tuning in CBLFT (and I had to finesse the UHF dial like a safecracker) to watch James Bond movies in French. Of which I don't speak a word. This was before the VCR...
This really is a good list. CKVR in Barrie was the best (for me, anyway) as it ran 24/7 and was my introduction to the late movie, the late, late movie, and the late, late, late movie - usually playing all the great oldies from the 30s, 40s, and 50s.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 04:52 PM   #55
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Channel 2 as NBC? Is this Bizzaro world? Madness!
The sane lineup was
2 WCBS
4 WNBC
5 WNEW, though they never much called it that.
7 WABC
9 WOR out of Secaucus
11 WPIX 11 alive!
13 PBS

and, of course, we would go up to the roof and break open the cable boxes to remove the HBO scrambler!
Old October 9 2013, 05:50 PM   #56
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Channel 2 as NBC? Is this Bizzaro world? Madness!
The sane lineup was
2 WCBS
4 WNBC
5 WNEW, though they never much called it that.
7 WABC
9 WOR out of Secaucus
11 WPIX 11 alive!
13 PBS

and, of course, we would go up to the roof and break open the cable boxes to remove the HBO scrambler!
Yes, the New York area. WOR was originally based in New York until 1983. And of course, there was Channel 31, the NYC-owned PBS station. My "golden age of TOS Trek" was the 1975-78 watching the show on a black and white Motorola or Zenith TV on WPIX from 6-7 PM.
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:58 PM   #57
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

This is a fantastic thread, and I found it at the right time (I'll explain in a bit)

Anyway, I first discovered Trek from seeing TMP in the theatre in 1979, and after that I had slowly but surely became a fan from watching TOS on WPHL, Channel 17 in Philly.

We watched it on a Sylvania color console model TV with the electric roto-antenna that had the great light up adjuster knob, and when you turned that, it blinked and clicked as the antenna on the roof rotated.

WPHL used to show them from film copies, so they were a little grainy, but they proudly used to say that they didn't cut any scenes from the episodes (I once called to see if they had any of the cut parts of the film so I could get them and make slides, and they told me this. Also, later comparing to the video releases, they really were uncut)

I loved watching it that way, because you had to really use your imagination. Nothing was cleaned up digitally to an inch of its life and it felt like I was watching a real crew on a starship.

A funny couple of points: my parents still use that TV (with a coaxial converter on the back to hook the cable into), and not too long ago, they brought me a box of stuff they found of mine at their house. In there were some of the VHS tapes I recorded from PHL with the episodes! I watched them, and the memories just flooded back. I was 7 years old again!
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 06:22 PM   #58
Warped9
Admiral

Today with HD it's easy to be critical of TOS' f/x, but back in the day those same f/x looked fantastic on the TVs we watched. And our imaginations fleshed it out and filled in the rest from there.

And to be fair some of it still looks good. TOS' transporter effect (visual and audio) is still one of the slickest and coolest f/x in science fiction in the visual mediums. I also love the rising howl of warp acceleration. A simple thing yet it really conveyed the idea of this fantastically powerful drive to ever faster FTL speeds. That with TOS' exceptional music and you have pure magic.
Old October 9 2013, 07:06 PM   #59
Green Shirt
Commodore

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
That's a lot of wooden cabinetry to polish!
My 20 year old son asked me how could we watch TVs that sat on the floor. Seems strange now.
Old October 9 2013, 07:19 PM   #60
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bloody Green Shirt wrote: View Post

My 20 year old son asked me how could we watch TVs that sat on the floor. Seems strange now.
Indeed.

I don't think I could manage to watch a floor-model TV now.