A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 8 2013, 09:10 PM   #16
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

stj wrote: View Post
In the original miniseries, Tricia Helfer exercises supernatural powers to murder a baby, for some unknown reason, an a dense crowd, yet get away with it.
Wow, the only inference I drew from that scene, particularly at that very early, embryonic stage of the show, was "evil cylon" snaps baby's neck - with, presumably, genectically enhanced cylon strength.

I'm probably being really thick, and not picking up on subtle clues, but how the heck do you interpret that action as a power of the supernatural? I guess it may not have been a neck snapping, and if not, I've definitely got it completely wrong?
Old October 9 2013, 01:19 PM   #17
Starfury
Commander

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Rambling monkey jibberish leading up to a deus ex machina "God did it!" ending that has killed the show's reputation.
To be honest, I never quite got the "god did it" argument. What exactly did he do? There were two angels - Head Six an Head Baltar. They tried to prepare Six and Baltar for parenthood (Hera), a storyline that was ultimately droped in the last minute, because the actors of Helo and Sharon did not want to see their characters die. That's a bit lame, but I can live with it.

And there were the coordinates to earth which led to a very cool scene.

And, oh yeah, the asteroid that hit Racetracks raptor at the right moment. Okay, that's... over the top, but not that big deal.

The characters still had free will. It's not as if the face of a white-bearded man appeared in the CIC and said: "This Battlestar of yours, could it carry my wisdom beyond the barrier?"
Old October 9 2013, 05:52 PM   #18
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Starfury wrote: View Post
That's a pretty big example of "God did it!" The whole series has been about the search for Earth and when they finally did, it was by coordinates magically given to someone earlier in life. Starbuck may have typed in the notes, but the clear implication of the episode is that was God's doing and all the suffering and pain that happened was so he could get them to this point where they could find our Earth and he could repeat the cycle of suffering all over again.

The central dilemma of the series was solved by... God. "God did it!" is an entirely fair accusation to make about finale.
Old October 9 2013, 06:04 PM   #19
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
That's a pretty big example of "God did it!" The whole series has been about the search for Earth and when they finally did, it was by coordinates magically given to someone earlier in life. Starbuck may have typed in the notes, but the clear implication of the episode is that was God's doing and all the suffering and pain that happened was so he could get them to this point where they could find our Earth and he could repeat the cycle of suffering all over again.

The central dilemma of the series was solved by... God. "God did it!" is an entirely fair accusation to make about finale.
Sure, but who cares?

In a finale where Roslin and Adama share a poignant and heartbreaking final moment, who seriously gives a toss about the machinations of the plot? BSG always subordinated plot consistency for character development and that mindset served it quite well.

In any event, the show remains one of the best of the last decade and probably the best scifi to grace the small screen. Its reputation is quite secure.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old October 9 2013, 06:15 PM   #20
Starfury
Commander

That's a pretty big example of "God did it!" The whole series has been about the search for Earth and when they finally did, it was by coordinates magically given to someone earlier in life.
Fair enough. Still, I don't think it's a big deal. If they had shot the scene a little different with Starbuck randomly typing in a few coordinates, getting just lucky, it would not have changed a thing.

They found Kobol... by accident. They found New Caprica... by accident. Most of the characters propably think, that they found earth by accident as well.

I'm an atheist myself and usually, I can't stand the elements of Gods or something in tv shows (Lost, I'm looking at you), but I think the writers of NBSG handled it really well. It was mostly subtle. The Starbuck-Angel thing is hard to swallow, but it doesnt ruin the show for me.
Old October 9 2013, 06:18 PM   #21
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

The Stig wrote: View Post

Sure, but who cares?
I do.

In a finale where Roslin and Adama share a poignant and heartbreaking final moment, who seriously gives a toss about the machinations of the plot?
I do.

In any event, the show remains one of the best of the last decade and probably the best scifi to grace the small screen.
Nah, that'd be Star Trek: The Original Series.
Old October 9 2013, 06:21 PM   #22
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

who seriously gives a toss about the machinations of the plot?
Wow. Uh.. people who value storytelling on any level?

Its reputation is quite secure.
Its reputation has been pretty severely trashed by the lackluster response to the finale, TV movies and Caprica.

And I actually liked Caprica.
Old October 9 2013, 06:59 PM   #23
The Stig
Rear Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
who seriously gives a toss about the machinations of the plot?
Wow. Uh.. people who value storytelling on any level?

Its reputation is quite secure.
Its reputation has been pretty severely trashed by the lackluster response to the finale, TV movies and Caprica.

And I actually liked Caprica.
I value storytelling quite a bit. BSG told a very compelling story about a group of people who faced insurmountable odds. The larger story about prophecies and god-like alien manipulators was less compelling, but safely relegated to the background.

As for the 'lackluster' response to the finale, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

http://io9.com/5178522/as-battlestar...in-the-details
http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?TVID=10956
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2009/03/3...-review?page=2
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/t...ica-television
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2009/03/2...-review?page=2
http://www.jammersreviews.com/bsg/s4/daybreak2.php

There were elements of the finale that didn't work and it proved quite divisive, but it was anything but lackluster. BSG went out much as it arrived: middle finger firmly extended as RDM told the story he wanted to tell. Like it or lump it, it was his vision.

To paraphrase RDM, you gotta be tough enough for BSG.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old October 9 2013, 08:08 PM   #24
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, in the fandom circles I hang around in the NuBSG and Lost finales are the ones most frequently bought up as disappointing cop-outs. This thread kinda proves that this is a fairly common view. If you want a finale that most people like, then look to Breaking Bad, Babylon 5 or Ashes to Ashes. Thoughts on NuBSG's finale are mixed at best.
Old October 9 2013, 08:24 PM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

The problem with finalÚ's is that there is a danger that no matter what you do you could annoy a portion of your fanbase.

"Ashes to Ashes" has been mentioned which in the UK aired the same week as Lost's finalÚ did. Ashes to Ashes was the better final episode, but then again when you have two shows which end with a similiar theme for the end, the one you watch second might seem slighlty dissapointing.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.