TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 24 2013, 11:39 PM   #76
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow
Re: Favourite Warp Effect...

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
It's nice, but this is just so damned sweet:

I feel like I'm looking between someone's fat thighs in this shot. Or dressing a turkey.
I like this one as well !!! I've been watching Star Trek 3 TSFS and the warp effect sounds and looks awesome on blu ray in 7.1 DTS !!!
Old September 25 2013, 01:41 AM   #77
drt
Commander

I think I like the Abrams ones best for the raw power of the jump to warp (I don't even mind the pixie dust) - but I have a lot of nostalgia love for the TMP effect because it was such an unexpected "holy shit" moment watching that for the first time in a theater in 1979.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 02:23 AM   #78
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Abrams' STID warp effect gets my vote!

saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 05:58 AM   #79
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

The coolest thing about the 2009 and 2013 warp effect is that it's actually pretty old-school in that they're digitally emulating a "trombone"/Vertigo shot where the camera is moved at the same time a zoom lens is operated. Seriously, you could have done the "stretch" part on TOS.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 09:37 AM   #80
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I've said before that the Abrams warp "tunnel" is reminiscent of quantum slipstream and similar drives in Voyager, and I've no problem with that. The tunnel is growing on me. But after rewatching the movies, it just dawned upon me...

1. Let's assume, for the sake of the question, that the alt. universe uses the same warp scales as Voyager (more or less, as long as it takes decades to return to the Federation at high warp)

2. At such scales and given stardates and times between episodes, it's not uncommon for Voyager to be at warp for days or even weeks non-stop

3. There are whole scenes on the nuEnterprise bridge where, while the ship is at warp, the bridge lights dim, the whitish-blue hue from the warp tunnel fills the bridge, there's an audible hum, and the viewscreen/windshield constantly shows the hypnotic tunnel passing by

3. Seriously, that tunnel can get really hypnotic

So question: could you imagine if Voyager spent days or weeks in that warp tunnel, with the crew looking at the tunnel the entire time? How long would they look before shutting off the viewscreen for their own sanity? What about the rest of the ship?
The way TNG-era warp acceleration looks from inside, with a tunnel-like blue blur, flash and then cut to streaking stars, I've wondered if maybe it "really" looks as it does in the new movies and the streaking stars is a holographic illusion, something easier on the eyes.

Then again, he Destiny in Stargate Universe had a similar warp effect going on 90% of the time, and they kept mostly sane.
Old September 25 2013, 04:25 PM   #81
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I've said before that the Abrams warp "tunnel" is reminiscent of quantum slipstream and similar drives in Voyager, and I've no problem with that. The tunnel is growing on me. But after rewatching the movies, it just dawned upon me...

1. Let's assume, for the sake of the question, that the alt. universe uses the same warp scales as Voyager (more or less, as long as it takes decades to return to the Federation at high warp)

2. At such scales and given stardates and times between episodes, it's not uncommon for Voyager to be at warp for days or even weeks non-stop

3. There are whole scenes on the nuEnterprise bridge where, while the ship is at warp, the bridge lights dim, the whitish-blue hue from the warp tunnel fills the bridge, there's an audible hum, and the viewscreen/windshield constantly shows the hypnotic tunnel passing by

4. Seriously, that tunnel can get really hypnotic

So question: could you imagine if Voyager spent days or weeks in that warp tunnel, with the crew looking at the tunnel the entire time? How long would they look before shutting off the viewscreen for their own sanity? What about the rest of the ship?
The way TNG-era warp acceleration looks from inside, with a tunnel-like blue blur, flash and then cut to streaking stars, I've wondered if maybe it "really" looks as it does in the new movies and the streaking stars is a holographic illusion, something easier on the eyes.
Huh, could be. It would certainly explain why stars are visible at warp when, in reality, starlight would never be able to touch a warp ship from all angles. Maybe the streaking stars are like map representations on that hologram, like markers on Google Maps?
Old September 29 2013, 12:29 AM   #82
xvicente
Commander

I cant vote for JJ. It was too weird for me to be in the cinema in 2009, with all those quick cuts and people shouting and lens flares and Vulcan gone at almost the same time I couldnt figure where was I, to say nothing of having to digest the Enterprise being built on Earth with those oversized nacelles and Uhura kissing Spock. Too weird. Evaluating the beauty of the warp effect wasnt very high in the list of priorities.

But to those who rate the TMP effect as cartoony, it is because the people who made it tried to get it right: due to the Doppler effect, stars would change color with the increasing of the ship's speed, redshift ahead blueshift behind (I believe), so the rainbow has some basis. Also the tunnel: if you somehow traveled faster than light your eyes would see the things ahead of you shrunk due to aberration and also the things behind because you would be catching up with the light they (the objects behind) emitted previously in the same direction creating a virtual tunnel. Hard theoretical stuff. To say nothing of putting a wormhole in a wide-release summer movie in the 1970s. That took balls.

Hey nobody said mixing science with art would end well for anyone.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 10:45 AM   #83
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Nah...on TMP they wanted to do a stretch effect like TNG ultimately did, but they didn't have time to work it out, so they went with a streaking effect. The final effect was a compromise, not designed to be "realistic".
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 11:07 PM   #84
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

xvicente wrote: View Post
I cant vote for JJ. It was too weird for me to be in the cinema in 2009, with all those quick cuts and people shouting and lens flares and Vulcan gone at almost the same time I couldnt figure where was I, to say nothing of having to digest the Enterprise being built on Earth with those oversized nacelles and Uhura kissing Spock. Too weird. Evaluating the beauty of the warp effect wasnt very high in the list of priorities.
What do story elements have to do with the warp effect of a given ship?
Old October 9 2013, 03:20 AM   #85
xvicente
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
What do story elements have to do with the warp effect of a given ship?
Almost nothing. But one can only concentrate on so many things during one and a half hours.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:13 AM   #86
Balrog
Commodore

Damn. That sucks for you.

I vote Abrams too. Awesome effect. I like the crystalized trails behind the warp nacelles when she jumps.
Old October 9 2013, 12:48 PM   #87
Use of Time
Commodore

I always thought hte Enterprise-E had a nice slick entry into warp in FC.
Old October 20 2013, 01:21 PM   #88
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I happen to be very fond of TMP's warp effect, probably because it is so different from all the other versions. The Motion Picture was a very artistic approach to STAR TREK that, unfortunately, was never attempted again. I think the rest of the franchise could've benefitted from more of the same ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 09:50 PM   #89
publiusr
Commodore

The TMP tube effect I think should be used for ringships only...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 12:30 AM   #90
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

I always loved the "Rubber Band effect"

I remember when Enterprise started the thing that annoyed me the most was that they'd A)Made a TNG warp effect for a pre-TNG series and B)Given that they'd done that, they dropped the best part of it, the rubber band part, for the cheesy movie era streak effect.

Enterprises was the worst combination of all worlds!

Probably the best ever warp scene was one of the last "rubber band effect" they did, Voyager and its allies warping out of the dark universe in....that episode where they got stuck in another starless dimension that wasn't "Night"
(Memory is failing me on that one )

Those 50 or so Missiles warping off to catch up with Voyager in an earlier ep looked pretty cool too.

I guess our favourite warp effect is just a product of our favourite era. If you grew up with the TOS era and Movies, you'll go for that. The same if you grew up with TNG/DS9 etc

That said, the recent films put on some spectacular efforts too.
If you freezeframe the fleet jump from ST09 then you can see it is a very, very extreme rubber band effect (the Reliant-link ship is the best example of this)

And I've only seen STID once but I loved every second of it, particularly the Warp Effect which felt like a tribute to both the TMP and TNG warp effects in one. A spectacular piece of art!