RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,328
Posts: 5,353,097
Members: 24,618
Currently online: 743
Newest member: jmacenulty

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 7 2013, 10:32 PM   #76
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
Please, God, no gap year. It's been hard enough doing this half-season crap.
Indeed, I haven't felt we've had a proper doctor who season since 2008 with series 4. First that other year gap in 2009. In fact, there were only three episodes in 2009, with the Next Doctor in 2008 and the second End of Time on 2010.

Then there was series 5 in 2010. While that was a complete series, it never really concluded, and we had to wait until 2011 until we get and episode which feels more like a finale.

Oh yes, then there's series 6. A series which had two amazing first episodes, then we had a bunch of shit episodes and a great big fucking wait until the second half of the series, so we never got our fix. And that didn't particularly conclude well either. Plus only one classic villain in an underwhelming episode.

Series 7 part 1. Asylum of the Daleks was probably my biggest disappointment in my doctor who life as I thought it was definitely going to be of Smiths best. Classic Daleks returning, and they're all batshit bonkers in an asylum. Sounds great right? WRONG! Instead, we just got a very short episode which should have been two or even three parts, instead of every dalek ever, we just got a bunch of RTD daleks with a bit of rust, a few Moffat Daleks, and very brief cameos of older daleks. Plus this random planet that we never knew about. Then a few other underwhelming episodes later (accept Angels Take Manhattan), a half year gap! Or maybe even longer, I can't remember.

Then we got series 7 part 2 which lasted five seconds and had mainly bad episodes also with a very few exceptions.

Then we get two specials and then we have to wait about 8 fucking months to see the new doctor. Then there's talk of another year gap? They might as well just go and fucking cancel it as it feels a bit like it already has been. I want a series to feel full again. None of these "you'll have to wait until next year" shit, give us a series which starts it's own story and ends it. Fucks sake.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 10:35 PM   #77
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

Geez that's the most F bombs I've seen in one place since series 1 of Torchwood...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Oculus review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 10:49 PM   #78
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

12th Doctor tribute.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 11:25 PM   #79
Wereghost
Commodore
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

I don't think Capaldi will leave after just one season; it wouldn't be very fannish, and nor would it really be fair to existing viewers. No real idea what his Doctor will be like, but I think he'll want to give younger viewers fond memories of a "Capaldi era" rather than just being an interim Doctor who essentially lasts just three months. I'm thinking three, maybe four seasons.
__________________
"Two things have always been true about human beings. One, the world is always getting better. Two, the people living at that time think it`s getting worse."
Penn Jillette.
Wereghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 11:32 PM   #80
StarMan
Vice Admiral
 
StarMan's Avatar
 
Location: ... in another place.
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
Please, God, no gap year. It's been hard enough doing this half-season crap.
Indeed, I haven't felt we've had a proper doctor who season since 2008 with series 4. First that other year gap in 2009. In fact, there were only three episodes in 2009, with the Next Doctor in 2008 and the second End of Time on 2010.

Then there was series 5 in 2010. While that was a complete series, it never really concluded, and we had to wait until 2011 until we get and episode which feels more like a finale.

Oh yes, then there's series 6. A series which had two amazing first episodes, then we had a bunch of shit episodes and a great big fucking wait until the second half of the series, so we never got our fix. And that didn't particularly conclude well either. Plus only one classic villain in an underwhelming episode.

Series 7 part 1. Asylum of the Daleks was probably my biggest disappointment in my doctor who life as I thought it was definitely going to be of Smiths best. Classic Daleks returning, and they're all batshit bonkers in an asylum. Sounds great right? WRONG! Instead, we just got a very short episode which should have been two or even three parts, instead of every dalek ever, we just got a bunch of RTD daleks with a bit of rust, a few Moffat Daleks, and very brief cameos of older daleks. Plus this random planet that we never knew about. Then a few other underwhelming episodes later (accept Angels Take Manhattan), a half year gap! Or maybe even longer, I can't remember.

Then we got series 7 part 2 which lasted five seconds and had mainly bad episodes also with a very few exceptions.

Then we get two specials and then we have to wait about 8 fucking months to see the new doctor. Then there's talk of another year gap? They might as well just go and fucking cancel it as it feels a bit like it already has been. I want a series to feel full again. None of these "you'll have to wait until next year" shit, give us a series which starts it's own story and ends it. Fucks sake.
Fuckin' oath!

All this time between season murders the momentum of the series. Worse is that the majority of episodes we end up waiting for are dreck!
__________________
Let's rock!
StarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 10:15 AM   #81
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I tell you who would have made a great new doctor. Nigel Havers.
Nigel Havers, the man who could have been Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager!

Actually, yes, Havers probably would have been a good choice at one time.
Whhhhhat??????

Yep, he's a rare breed. Older, but handsome. Would play a Jon Pertwee like doctor I imagine. Maybe a bit feistier and flirty though.
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

Nigel Havers, the man who could have been Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager!

Actually, yes, Havers probably would have been a good choice at one time.
And of course he almost married Sarah Jane in SJA.
And Capaldi killed his children in Torchwood, was a main character in Pompeii and even held the tenth doctors hand, oh and Colin Baker played Maxil who even shot the fifth doctor.
I wasn't implying that this disqualifies him from playing The Doctor, if that's what you're thinking. Merely pointing out his DW connection.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 10:18 PM   #82
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

StarMan wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
Please, God, no gap year. It's been hard enough doing this half-season crap.
Indeed, I haven't felt we've had a proper doctor who season since 2008 with series 4. First that other year gap in 2009. In fact, there were only three episodes in 2009, with the Next Doctor in 2008 and the second End of Time on 2010.

Then there was series 5 in 2010. While that was a complete series, it never really concluded, and we had to wait until 2011 until we get and episode which feels more like a finale.

Oh yes, then there's series 6. A series which had two amazing first episodes, then we had a bunch of shit episodes and a great big fucking wait until the second half of the series, so we never got our fix. And that didn't particularly conclude well either. Plus only one classic villain in an underwhelming episode.

Series 7 part 1. Asylum of the Daleks was probably my biggest disappointment in my doctor who life as I thought it was definitely going to be of Smiths best. Classic Daleks returning, and they're all batshit bonkers in an asylum. Sounds great right? WRONG! Instead, we just got a very short episode which should have been two or even three parts, instead of every dalek ever, we just got a bunch of RTD daleks with a bit of rust, a few Moffat Daleks, and very brief cameos of older daleks. Plus this random planet that we never knew about. Then a few other underwhelming episodes later (accept Angels Take Manhattan), a half year gap! Or maybe even longer, I can't remember.

Then we got series 7 part 2 which lasted five seconds and had mainly bad episodes also with a very few exceptions.

Then we get two specials and then we have to wait about 8 fucking months to see the new doctor. Then there's talk of another year gap? They might as well just go and fucking cancel it as it feels a bit like it already has been. I want a series to feel full again. None of these "you'll have to wait until next year" shit, give us a series which starts it's own story and ends it. Fucks sake.
Fuckin' oath!

All this time between season murders the momentum of the series. Worse is that the majority of episodes we end up waiting for are dreck!
Exactly!

Long wait, then we get mainly shit. There are only a few decent episodes and then mainly shit. We get a good episode, then we have to repay by having three or four sit episodes. Some 50th anniversary this.
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

Nigel Havers, the man who could have been Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager!

Actually, yes, Havers probably would have been a good choice at one time.
Whhhhhat??????

Yep, he's a rare breed. Older, but handsome. Would play a Jon Pertwee like doctor I imagine. Maybe a bit feistier and flirty though.
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

And of course he almost married Sarah Jane in SJA.
And Capaldi killed his children in Torchwood, was a main character in Pompeii and even held the tenth doctors hand, oh and Colin Baker played Maxil who even shot the fifth doctor.
I wasn't implying that this disqualifies him from playing The Doctor, if that's what you're thinking. Merely pointing out his DW connection.
Oh, okay.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 08:32 AM   #83
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Long wait, then we get mainly shit.
I enjoyed most of them.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:14 PM   #84
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

^ Me too!
Mr Awe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:21 PM   #85
MickJo1701
Commander
 
MickJo1701's Avatar
 
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Long wait, then we get mainly shit.
I enjoyed most of them.
Aye, none of them have been remotely near as bad as say Fear Her, Love & Monsters or 42. Hell even Rings of Akhaten has grown on me.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:23 PM   #86
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Me too!
Me Three.

The Pirate one didn't do much for me, and the one with the little boy and the freaky dolls (The male version of Fear Her). But, I like just about every other Smith episode. Victory of the Daleks and Rings of Ahkaten I didn't think much of first time around, but, I've come to dislike them a little less since my first viewing.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 04:33 PM   #87
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

For me, the pirate one was a real dud, although not as bad as Fear Her or Love and Monsters. I really liked Rings of Ahkaten even on the first view. Alright, I pretty much loathe Victory of the Daleks though. Rewatching it didn't help either.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 09:02 PM   #88
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Long wait, then we get mainly shit.
I enjoyed most of them.
Aye, none of them have been remotely near as bad as say Fear Her, Love & Monsters or 42. Hell even Rings of Akhaten has grown on me.
Those were exceptionally bad RTD episodes though. But Moffat has done more bad episodes than RTD. And 42 wasn't that bad. I remember quite liking it on first viewing. And Rungs of Akhaten? You're joking right? That was just pure shit.
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Me too!
Me Three.

The Pirate one didn't do much for me, and the one with the little boy and the freaky dolls (The male version of Fear Her). But, I like just about every other Smith episode. Victory of the Daleks and Rings of Ahkaten I didn't think much of first time around, but, I've come to dislike them a little less since my first viewing.
I was the opposite with Victory. On first viewing I thought it was okay. But in later years I've grown to hate it. And Akhaten is just bad all round.

I really should review all the episodes at some point.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 06:55 PM   #89
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

Gee. Guess who's one of the monster/villains of series 7


http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006...tures/monsters


Well I suppose its customary to have the master be apart of the doctor regeneration somehow.
__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 07:22 PM   #90
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain
 
Emperor-Tiberius's Avatar
 
Location: Kavala, Greece
Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

How is that indicative of the Master being part of the 2013 Christmas special?
__________________
"Spock...?" Kirk said, whispering.
"I am... most pleased to see again, Captain" Spock formally replied.
McCoy shook his head in disgust. "Oh, for crying out loud, Spock. Its been eighty years!"
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.