MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 7 2013, 10:32 PM   #76
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Re: 800th Episode - 2014 Christmas Special (Rumour's/Poss. Spoilers)

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
Please, God, no gap year. It's been hard enough doing this half-season crap.
Indeed, I haven't felt we've had a proper doctor who season since 2008 with series 4. First that other year gap in 2009. In fact, there were only three episodes in 2009, with the Next Doctor in 2008 and the second End of Time on 2010.

Then there was series 5 in 2010. While that was a complete series, it never really concluded, and we had to wait until 2011 until we get and episode which feels more like a finale.

Oh yes, then there's series 6. A series which had two amazing first episodes, then we had a bunch of shit episodes and a great big fucking wait until the second half of the series, so we never got our fix. And that didn't particularly conclude well either. Plus only one classic villain in an underwhelming episode.

Series 7 part 1. Asylum of the Daleks was probably my biggest disappointment in my doctor who life as I thought it was definitely going to be of Smiths best. Classic Daleks returning, and they're all batshit bonkers in an asylum. Sounds great right? WRONG! Instead, we just got a very short episode which should have been two or even three parts, instead of every dalek ever, we just got a bunch of RTD daleks with a bit of rust, a few Moffat Daleks, and very brief cameos of older daleks. Plus this random planet that we never knew about. Then a few other underwhelming episodes later (accept Angels Take Manhattan), a half year gap! Or maybe even longer, I can't remember.

Then we got series 7 part 2 which lasted five seconds and had mainly bad episodes also with a very few exceptions.

Then we get two specials and then we have to wait about 8 fucking months to see the new doctor. Then there's talk of another year gap? They might as well just go and fucking cancel it as it feels a bit like it already has been. I want a series to feel full again. None of these "you'll have to wait until next year" shit, give us a series which starts it's own story and ends it. Fucks sake.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 10:35 PM   #77
Starkers
Admiral

Geez that's the most F bombs I've seen in one place since series 1 of Torchwood...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 10:49 PM   #78
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

12th Doctor tribute.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 11:25 PM   #79
Wereghost
Commodore

I don't think Capaldi will leave after just one season; it wouldn't be very fannish, and nor would it really be fair to existing viewers. No real idea what his Doctor will be like, but I think he'll want to give younger viewers fond memories of a "Capaldi era" rather than just being an interim Doctor who essentially lasts just three months. I'm thinking three, maybe four seasons.
Old October 7 2013, 11:32 PM   #80
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Indeed, I haven't felt we've had a proper doctor who season since 2008 with series 4. First that other year gap in 2009. In fact, there were only three episodes in 2009, with the Next Doctor in 2008 and the second End of Time on 2010.

Then there was series 5 in 2010. While that was a complete series, it never really concluded, and we had to wait until 2011 until we get and episode which feels more like a finale.

Oh yes, then there's series 6. A series which had two amazing first episodes, then we had a bunch of shit episodes and a great big fucking wait until the second half of the series, so we never got our fix. And that didn't particularly conclude well either. Plus only one classic villain in an underwhelming episode.

Series 7 part 1. Asylum of the Daleks was probably my biggest disappointment in my doctor who life as I thought it was definitely going to be of Smiths best. Classic Daleks returning, and they're all batshit bonkers in an asylum. Sounds great right? WRONG! Instead, we just got a very short episode which should have been two or even three parts, instead of every dalek ever, we just got a bunch of RTD daleks with a bit of rust, a few Moffat Daleks, and very brief cameos of older daleks. Plus this random planet that we never knew about. Then a few other underwhelming episodes later (accept Angels Take Manhattan), a half year gap! Or maybe even longer, I can't remember.

Then we got series 7 part 2 which lasted five seconds and had mainly bad episodes also with a very few exceptions.

Then we get two specials and then we have to wait about 8 fucking months to see the new doctor. Then there's talk of another year gap? They might as well just go and fucking cancel it as it feels a bit like it already has been. I want a series to feel full again. None of these "you'll have to wait until next year" shit, give us a series which starts it's own story and ends it. Fucks sake.
Fuckin' oath!

All this time between season murders the momentum of the series. Worse is that the majority of episodes we end up waiting for are dreck!
Old October 8 2013, 10:15 AM   #81
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I tell you who would have made a great new doctor. Nigel Havers.
Nigel Havers, the man who could have been Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager!

Actually, yes, Havers probably would have been a good choice at one time.
Whhhhhat??????

Yep, he's a rare breed. Older, but handsome. Would play a Jon Pertwee like doctor I imagine. Maybe a bit feistier and flirty though.
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

And of course he almost married Sarah Jane in SJA.
And Capaldi killed his children in Torchwood, was a main character in Pompeii and even held the tenth doctors hand, oh and Colin Baker played Maxil who even shot the fifth doctor.
I wasn't implying that this disqualifies him from playing The Doctor, if that's what you're thinking. Merely pointing out his DW connection.
Old October 8 2013, 10:18 PM   #82
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

StarMan wrote: View Post

Fuckin' oath!

All this time between season murders the momentum of the series. Worse is that the majority of episodes we end up waiting for are dreck!
Exactly!

Long wait, then we get mainly shit. There are only a few decent episodes and then mainly shit. We get a good episode, then we have to repay by having three or four sit episodes. Some 50th anniversary this.

Whhhhhat??????

Yep, he's a rare breed. Older, but handsome. Would play a Jon Pertwee like doctor I imagine. Maybe a bit feistier and flirty though.

And of course he almost married Sarah Jane in SJA.
And Capaldi killed his children in Torchwood, was a main character in Pompeii and even held the tenth doctors hand, oh and Colin Baker played Maxil who even shot the fifth doctor.
I wasn't implying that this disqualifies him from playing The Doctor, if that's what you're thinking. Merely pointing out his DW connection.
Oh, okay.
Old October 9 2013, 08:32 AM   #83
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Long wait, then we get mainly shit.
I enjoyed most of them.
Old October 9 2013, 02:14 PM   #84
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Me too!
Mr Awe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:21 PM   #85
MickJo1701
Commander

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I enjoyed most of them.
Aye, none of them have been remotely near as bad as say Fear Her, Love & Monsters or 42. Hell even Rings of Akhaten has grown on me.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:23 PM   #86
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Me too!
Me Three.

The Pirate one didn't do much for me, and the one with the little boy and the freaky dolls (The male version of Fear Her). But, I like just about every other Smith episode. Victory of the Daleks and Rings of Ahkaten I didn't think much of first time around, but, I've come to dislike them a little less since my first viewing.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 04:33 PM   #87
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

For me, the pirate one was a real dud, although not as bad as Fear Her or Love and Monsters. I really liked Rings of Ahkaten even on the first view. Alright, I pretty much loathe Victory of the Daleks though. Rewatching it didn't help either.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 09:02 PM   #88
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I enjoyed most of them.
Aye, none of them have been remotely near as bad as say Fear Her, Love & Monsters or 42. Hell even Rings of Akhaten has grown on me.
Those were exceptionally bad RTD episodes though. But Moffat has done more bad episodes than RTD. And 42 wasn't that bad. I remember quite liking it on first viewing. And Rungs of Akhaten? You're joking right? That was just pure shit.
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Me too!
Me Three.

The Pirate one didn't do much for me, and the one with the little boy and the freaky dolls (The male version of Fear Her). But, I like just about every other Smith episode. Victory of the Daleks and Rings of Ahkaten I didn't think much of first time around, but, I've come to dislike them a little less since my first viewing.
I was the opposite with Victory. On first viewing I thought it was okay. But in later years I've grown to hate it. And Akhaten is just bad all round.

I really should review all the episodes at some point.
Old November 5 2013, 06:55 PM   #89
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Gee. Guess who's one of the monster/villains of series 7

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006...tures/monsters

Well I suppose its customary to have the master be apart of the doctor regeneration somehow.
Old November 5 2013, 07:22 PM   #90
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

How is that indicative of the Master being part of the 2013 Christmas special?
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote