New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 6 2013, 08:27 PM   #901
Christopher
Writer

Re: Power Rangers

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
As far as 'ancient Rangers' are concerned, there was never any indication that the warriors who fought battles against evil in ages past, such as the Morphin Masters or Merrick's ancient compatriots, were in fact Rangers.
I thought we'd seen footage of them battling in Ranger costumes. It's been a long time, though.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 04:54 AM   #902
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

How long did Bulk & Skull stick around?

I think the last episode I watched was when Kat joined. I thought it was weird the first time when Jason, Zack and Trini got replaced (Because they got jobs in the UN! Pfft, were all the departures like that?). My 11 year old self had no idea the show would go on replacing the entire cast for a new crop of nine year olds every year.
\
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:44 AM   #903
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
How long did Bulk & Skull stick around?
Both of them were part of the main cast for the first 6 seasons, all the way through PR In Space. Bulk stuck around as part of the main cast for one more season, PR Lost Galaxy (though only in 4 episodes), with Skull only appearing briefly in the first episode as a guest star.

They both returned to the show for a cameo in the 10th Anniversary episode "Forever Red".

Bulk returned as a member of the main cast in 2011 in PR Samurai, and its second year PR Super Samurai. Skull made an appearance in the last episode of Super Samurai.

(Because they got jobs in the UN! Pfft, were all the departures like that?).
As far as mid-show departures go, no, none that I can recall were as dumb and contrived as that World Peace Conference nonsense.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:49 AM   #904
cylkoth
Commodore

Bulk and Skull lasted as a duo until the end of In Space. Then, in the first episode of Lost Galaxy, had Bulk and the Professor at the airport to fly to Terra Venture, realizing they were forgetting something-Skull, whose alarm clock never when off. Bulk however, wasn't in LG much...he wound up managing a Ten Forward type lounge on the TV, and I don't recall the Prof showing up again until the end of the season.
The duo were reunited for the anniversary episode ''Forever Red'' during the Wild Force season, and once more again during Samurai.

Edit-missed it by that much! Christopher posted while I was writing...
Old October 7 2013, 06:29 PM   #905
Christopher
Writer

^That wasn't me.

I always wondered how Bulk got home from Mirinoi.

Old October 9 2013, 03:08 AM   #906
JD
Admiral

So do all of the PR series all take place in the same universe? I've never watched it since the first series back when I was a kid, and I had assumed each time the title changed it was a totally different story and universe.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 04:06 AM   #907
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
So do all of the PR series all take place in the same universe? I've never watched it since the first series back when I was a kid, and I had assumed each time the title changed it was a totally different story and universe.
There is some disagreement about whether RPM took place in the same universe as the other shows, but otherwise all the rest of the seasons undeniably take place in the same universe. (Though Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie does not, for a number of reasons).

In the RPM/Samurai teamup episode of the previous incarnation of PR (Samurai), the Red RPM ranger came from "another dimension". This would seem to confirm the already existing belief some had that RPM was in its own separate continuity, though some still think that RPM does take place in the same universe as the rest, and that the Red RPM ranger we saw in that teamup episode was an alternate version from a different universe (The fact that RPM Red was acting out of character certainly supports the latter).

And to add more fuel to the fire, RPM rangers can be seen in behind the scenes shots of the filming of next year's Legend War battle.

As for me personally, I had believed that RPM was in an alternate universe, but the RPM rangers being present in the mega teamup next year is giving me doubts.
Old October 15 2013, 11:21 AM   #908
Stephen!
Captain

Saban obviously didn't approve of this, having cut it from this weeks episode

Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 06:51 PM   #909
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
As for me personally, I had believed that RPM was in an alternate universe, but the RPM rangers being present in the mega teamup next year is giving me doubts.
That seems like it would be easy to explain. The Red RPM Ranger already traveled dimensions in PR Samurai (I only saw it once, but I'm 99% certain that they did say he was from another dimension, and not just the future). I'm assuming some ranger or ranger ally in the normal universe has the tech to send a message to the RPM dimension. So when the rangers in the normal universe get to the War, someone calls the RPM dimension for help. The RPM rangers grab their morphers and get to the normal universe either the same way RPM Red did (I don't really remember how they explained his way of dimension hopping), or some other way thought up by Dr. K or a smart person in the normal PR universe.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 10:56 PM   #910
Christopher
Writer

What struck me about this episode was that the Aurora Box ended up on top of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, which is a major landmark often representing Tokyo in movies and TV. So it's amusing to see it featured so prominently in a Power Rangers episode that's supposedly set in some American city (I forget what generic-sounding name they're using this year).

The interesting thing about the "Bigs" character design is that it worked as well -- or even better, really -- upside down as it did right side up. He looked far more menacing when dangling inverted inside the Aurora Box.

The five Ultrazords merging to form a star-shaped "face" is an interesting bit of design. The new Megazord is one of the least stupid-looking ones they've had in recent years; I almost like it.

Old October 16 2013, 12:57 AM   #911
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
(I only saw it once, but I'm 99% certain that they did say he was from another dimension, and not just the future).
Yep. "Another dimension" were Scott's exact words.

I'm assuming some ranger or ranger ally in the normal universe has the tech to send a message to the RPM dimension. So when the rangers in the normal universe get to the War, someone calls the RPM dimension for help. The RPM rangers grab their morphers and get to the normal universe either the same way RPM Red did ... or some other way thought up by Dr. K or a smart person in the normal PR universe.
I suppose that makes some sense, if they are really desperate for all the help they can get.

(I don't really remember how they explained his way of dimension hopping)
Scott (and the monster) apparently used dimension-hopping subway trains.
Old October 16 2013, 01:09 AM   #912
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I forgot about the subway trains

As for being desperate, if things are bad enough to call in all the retired rangers, I think they'd probably try to get everyone possible, which is why they'd go to the trouble of getting the RPM rangers to help. Now, I don't think we'll see the Phantom Ranger or even US only guys like the Titanium Ranger and Spirit Rangers (or the Phantom Ranger, who was really only around in Power Rangers), but thats probably because of using japanese footage, not having the costumes/not wanting to recreate costumes, and/or just forgetting that they exist.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 03:12 PM   #913
Praetor
Vice Admiral

The Titanium Ranger has been spotted in newly filmed combined team footage, so we'll be seeing him. I don't think the Spirit Rangers or Phantom Ranger have been spotted though.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 05:20 PM   #914
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Will he get a ranger key?
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 06:39 PM   #915
Christopher
Writer

I tuned out of today's episode once it became clear it would be a clip show. Also, Gia was totally out of character, this strong and fearless young woman suddenly turning into Shaggy when confronted with anything slightly eerie. She did look awfully nice in that witch costume, though.