Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 20 2013, 01:53 AM   #31
JD
Admiral

Re: Dragons: Riders of Berk discussion thread

I totally forgot about this. I only saw a handful of season 1 episodes, but I enjoyed them, so I'll be watching the new season.
Old September 20 2013, 08:56 PM   #32
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

The episode was pretty good and had a funny homage to Fight Club.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 03:19 AM   #33
Mr Light
Admiral

I believe I read that this year is going to be more action-heavy, which is a good thing for me as I found the first season a little on the boring side...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 02:44 PM   #34
dansigal
Commander

I'm a little disappointed there hasn't been any time jump/aging of the characters in between the first two seasons. From the art that they have revealed, there appears to be a significant aging for the next movie, so unless there's a jump sometime during this season, it appears there will still be a big gap between the show and the movie, if they follow the show continuity at all.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 02:50 AM   #35
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I was surprised by that as well. I believe and this is just speculation that the show will be cancelled or it will live in this little pocket of HTTYD universe.

Old October 7 2013, 04:06 AM   #36
Christopher
Writer

^No reason the show would be cancelled for continuity reasons. Animated shows based on movies sometimes continue beyond the sequels and either ignore the inconsistencies or fold them into the show continuity without explanation. For instance, Ghostbusters 2 was pretty hard to reconcile with The Real Ghostbusters, but later seasons of that show drew on characters and elements from GB2 (notably making Louis Tully a regular and having him involved with Janine, even though previous seasons had played up Janine's romantic interest in Egon).

Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness is kind of hard to reconcile with KFP2. In KFP2, Master Shifu has a limp from his injuries in the first movie, but in the show, which is evidently meant to come between the movies, he walks normally. And the show tends to revert Po to a less mature and competent level than he'd achieved by the end of the first film, at least some of the time. In any case, he's certainly less advanced in the show than at the start of the sequel, which could be explained if there's a large span of time between them, but there's a line in KFP2 where Po is told that the villain's invention could end kung fu and he says "But I just got kung fu," implying it hasn't been that long. And some of the episodes that focus on members of the Furious Five are sometimes tough to reconcile with what's been hinted about them in the movies. It's like most TV adaptations of movies in that it's only approximately consistent with them.

So far Dragons seems to have been more compatible with the movie, and even with the DVD specials (it uses some dragon species they introduced), but there's no guarantee that will continue. It could end up being an alternate take like most TV adaptations.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 07:33 PM   #37
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I didn't mean to infer that it would be cancelled because of continuity. I think more because it has done its job, be a placeholder until HTTYD 2 comes out next year. As I said, that was just a wild speculation. I also believe that it will continue, in this same 'alternative' verse. With Hiccup and the gang staying this age. HTTYD 3 will be out in 2016, so they can have few more years of this.

Old October 7 2013, 08:54 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

Well, if it's set a few years before the sequel, it doesn't necessarily have to be an alternate timeline, just an earlier point in the story. As long as it doesn't alter the status quo in any major way, and as long as the sequels don't overtly contradict what it's already established, then it could be reconciled.

Old October 9 2013, 02:53 AM   #39
JD
Admiral

I think I remember reading somewhere that this season was supposed to lead into HTTYD2, but I guess that just a promotional thing, rather than a story or in-universe thing.
Old May 29 2014, 04:11 PM   #40
dansigal
Commander

Looks like there will be two more seasons starting in 2015 on Netflix.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/29/news...html?hpt=hp_t2
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 01:53 AM   #41
Tiberius
Commodore

I thoroughly enjoyed the first season of Dragons, and I loved the twist in the last two episodes! Honestly did not see it coming!
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 02:39 AM   #42
Christopher
Writer

^There have been two seasons so far, one called Riders of Berk and one called Defenders of Berk. If you mean the twist in the episodes that debuted just three months ago, that was the second-season finale.

Old May 31 2014, 03:09 AM   #43
Tiberius
Commodore

No, the one at the end of the first season.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 04:00 AM   #44
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

Netfix will be showing next season of Dragons.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/29/news...ons/index.html

Netflix is furthering its relationship with DreamWorks Animation, picking up two new seasons of the children's television show based on the "How to Train Your Dragon" film franchise.

Old June 1 2014, 06:56 AM   #45
JD
Admiral

That was already being discussed.
This makes me happy because it means I'll finally be able to catch up. I saw a handful of season 1 episodes and enjoyed them, but ended up losing track of it.