Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Did you like the Spock Prime scene?
Liked it 35 51.47%
Didn't like it 33 48.53%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 7 2013, 04:38 PM   #46
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Do you like the Spock Prime "Phone a friend" scene?

She also made a painting of him in a turban and he didn't object to it. And he ruled over Asia and the Middle East. And his name is Khan Noonien Singh. So Khan was pretty much from India for all intents and purposes.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:04 PM   #47
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Khan was trying to seduce her, nitpicking her painting probably wouldn't have helped. Plus, that he didn't immediately put on a turban once revived is another big hit against him being Sikh.

He may have been Indian, or engineered in India or perhaps just ruled there, but he still can't be Sikh or recognized as one because he breaks too many fundamental rules. IMO the best way to deal with it is to simply say Marla was he worst historian in the Federation.

Plus, I can't imagine Khan (either version) believing in any higher power above himself.
Old October 7 2013, 05:20 PM   #48
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

I always love seeing Nimoy on screen.
The more the better.
And I think Spock Prime should be helping them more eg giant amoeba thingy, Deneva, Romulus, the whales, the 3 Earth probes. He could save billions. Sort of make up for Vulcan.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:37 PM   #49
Franklin
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
She also made a painting of him in a turban and he didn't object to it. And he ruled over Asia and the Middle East. And his name is Khan Noonien Singh. So Khan was pretty much from India for all intents and purposes.
As a surname, Khan is not used by Sikhs, but Singh is a very common male surname. Khan would also be a very odd first name for a Sikh because there is no cultural attachment to it. As a title, the origin of Khan is Mongolian, and later it was used in Persia and it's used now among the Pashtuns. It is also a very common non-Sikh surname in Indo-Asia.

Since I can't imagine the writers of "Space Seed" being so deliberately ignorant or lazy of cultural differences in their choice of essentially a mixed name for the character, I think the choice of his name was meant to leave Khan's ethnicity open to question.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Khan was trying to seduce her, nitpicking her painting probably wouldn't have helped. Plus, that he didn't immediately put on a turban once revived is another big hit against him being Sikh.

He may have been Indian, or engineered in India or perhaps just ruled there, but he still can't be Sikh or recognized as one because he breaks too many fundamental rules. IMO the best way to deal with it is to simply say Marla was he worst historian in the Federation.

Plus, I can't imagine Khan (either version) believing in any higher power above himself.
Agreed on all accounts.
Old October 8 2013, 12:17 AM   #50
austen_pierce
Captain

The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
The more the better.
And I think Spock Prime should be helping them more eg giant amoeba thingy, Deneva, Romulus, the whales, the 3 Earth probes. He could save billions. Sort of make up for Vulcan.
Yes, when the name of the game is giving the audience what it wants, yes. Nimoy's surprise cameo in STID was a bonus, a feel good moment for fans old and new. As for what we did and didn't see on screen in terms of what was said, I believe much more was said AFTER the scene ended. There's no way any officer would leave a conversation of that importance that vague.

Not sure I'm with you on the help on other missions and crises. Remember Nimoy's line from 09, something to the effect, of "I could not deprive you of all you would discover together, of a friendship which will define you both". He won't help them through every crisis any more than he didn't beam onto Enterprise and tell nuSpock to give nuKirk command. Plot short circuits aside, Spock Prime just can't be the crutch through every problem the nuCrew faces. There's no growth there.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 08:26 PM   #51
davidant32
Commodore

Agenda wrote: View Post
Did you think it was clever or did you think it was cheesy? Did it add to the film or did it completely take you out of it? Just a basic survey.
Did I enjoy the scene? Yes
Was I surprised to see it? Yes
Do I think the movie would've been fine without it? Yes
Did it take me out of the movie? No
Did I think Spock had a good send-off in the last movie (esp. with the narration of the original opening words)? Yes
Do I expect to see Nimoy in the next one? No
Do I think Nimoy and most everyone else involved liked the scene? Yes, esp. since I remember an interview where Nimoy said he didn't think he gave his best performance in his final scene with Quinto in the '09 film.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Pure fan service. Would the writers have written a scene in which he contacts Prime-Spock about a bad guy called Nebulon or somthing?
Quinto's Spock may very well have contacted Nimoy's Spock about Nebulon in-universe, but since Prime Spock would have no info we (the audience) would not see that interaction as it would not be relevant.
Old October 8 2013, 09:35 PM   #52
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^Well-said.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 10:26 PM   #53
Franklin
Rear Admiral

davidant32 wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
Pure fan service. Would the writers have written a scene in which he contacts Prime-Spock about a bad guy called Nebulon or somthing?
Quinto's Spock may very well have contacted Nimoy's Spock about Nebulon in-universe, but since Prime Spock would have no info we (the audience) would not see that interaction as it would not be relevant.
Well, he probably wouldn't bother Spock Prime about every little thing, because as large as the galaxy is, the chances they shared exactly the same experiences and met all the same people is very small.
Yet, Spock must have in mind the theory alluded to in ST09 that life events in both universes are as similar as each will allow given their differences. (The same paths keep crossing -- certain people are destined to be thrown together.) Therefore, Spock may have believed that in a case involving a threat as big as Khan, there would be a fair probability that Spock Prime and Kirk Prime came across him somehow, and were equally if not similarly imperiled. So, why not take a chance and pick Spock Prime's brain about what they did?
Old October 8 2013, 11:38 PM   #54
Balrog
Commodore

Khan was trying to seduce her, nitpicking her painting probably wouldn't have helped.
Ha! I can just imagine him saying, "The coloring is all wrong. Did you study painting through a correspondence course? Was your teacher a blind person? Did you paint this and then let your pet guinea pig pee all over it?

"Now, pleasure me..."

Leonard Nimoy scene? LOVED IT!
Old October 9 2013, 01:32 AM   #55
dub
Fleet Captain

Spock Prime in Trek'09
Spock Prime in STID
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 12:27 AM   #56
austen_pierce
Captain

Balrog wrote: View Post
Khan was trying to seduce her, nitpicking her painting probably wouldn't have helped.
Ha! I can just imagine him saying, "The coloring is all wrong. Did you study painting through a correspondence course? Was your teacher a blind person? Did you paint this and then let your pet guinea pig pee all over it?

"Now, pleasure me..."

Leonard Nimoy scene? LOVED IT!
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 12:58 AM   #57
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

It made me smile.
Old October 10 2013, 01:50 AM   #58
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

Loved the scene. As far as I am concerned old Spock can be in the next movie too.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 02:21 AM   #59
Use of Time
Commodore

Nice harmless scene that was kind of just...there. Seeing Nimoy at this age still contributing to the Star Trek universe was a nice gesture which I appreciate.
Old October 10 2013, 02:49 PM   #60
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
The more the better.
Yes, when the name of the game is giving the audience what it wants, yes. Nimoy's surprise cameo in STID was a bonus, a feel good moment for fans old and new. As for what we did and didn't see on screen in terms of what was said, I believe much more was said AFTER the scene ended. There's no way any officer would leave a conversation of that importance that vague.

Not sure I'm with you on the help on other missions and crises. Remember Nimoy's line from 09, something to the effect, of "I could not deprive you of all you would discover together, of a friendship which will define you both". He won't help them through every crisis any more than he didn't beam onto Enterprise and tell nuSpock to give nuKirk command. Plot short circuits aside, Spock Prime just can't be the crutch through every problem the nuCrew faces. There's no growth there.
In the movie universe you wouldn't want the nucrew just going around fixing problems following instructions from PrimeSpock everytime. It wouldn't be very interesting.

The nuCrew would look like amazing superheroes though.

If I were PrimeSpock I would consider saving those civilisations destroyed by the Denevian parasites before they got to Deneva or those the giant amoeba thingy destroyed. Maybe PrimeSpock could send an anonymous letter to Starfleet Command outlining the major genocides. nuEnterprise doesn't need to be involved and probably won't because they headed out years earlier than in the PrimeUniverse
Really not saving billions because you want to have the nuUniverse guys to have fun seems sort of selfish.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote