RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,197
Posts: 5,436,758
Members: 24,950
Currently online: 475
Newest member: TedCarchidi

TrekToday headlines

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 8 2013, 09:23 PM   #61
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

The BBC doesn't stick all its money in one general fund and let people make withdrawals as the urge strikes them; it has to be apportioned and justified very carefully, especially in the current environment. The only way BBC One will have spent money on the found episodes is if it's broadcasting something related to them (which I doubt), and even then it won't have been at the expense of the anniversary special, which is a much bigger deal from an institutional perspective.

The Moffat quote is interesting. If he can deliver on that, it'll be a great special. But then RTD talked about doing a story that would Change The Character Forever, and it turned out to be "The Doctor's Daughter."
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 09:25 PM   #62
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain
 
Emperor-Tiberius's Avatar
 
Location: Kavala, Greece
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Well, it DID! It gave him a DAUGHTER.

Oh, wait...
__________________
"Spock...?" Kirk said, whispering.
"I am... most pleased to see again, Captain" Spock formally replied.
McCoy shook his head in disgust. "Oh, for crying out loud, Spock. Its been eighty years!"
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 09:27 PM   #63
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

It did change The Doctor forever. It made loads of fans view him as a cock for demanding a society build their entire values around his "I never would kill anybody!" philosophy.

Even though he has killed a bunch of times in the past.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 10:12 PM   #64
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Judge Death wrote: View Post
Evil Headhunter wrote: View Post
If so, who is Olivia Coleman? Or is that suppose to be Olivia Colman (who doesn't really have much of a connection to Doctor Who)?
To be honest she's probably got as much on screen Who time as McGann (runs and hides!)
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 04:41 PM   #65
Noddy
Captain
 
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

I have an unpleasant feeling the anniversary special is gonna turn out to be kind of a bummer....
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 08:40 PM   #66
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

It'll probably be alright, though my expectations aren't too high from what I know.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 09:08 PM   #67
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

I'll probably end up enjoying the Christmas special more than the actual anniversary special. Always happens, I always prefer something else to something that I've been constantly thinking about. For example, I was really looking forward to Nightmare in Silver and only moderately looking forward to Cold War, and I ended up loving Cold War while only being a tiny bit impressed by Nightmare in Silver.

Before that I was dead looking forward to Asylum of the Daleks and near hated it, then I was only looking forward to Angels Take Manhattan because the bastard Ponds were leaving, and I ended up loving Angels in its own right. I wasn't looking forward particularly that much for Ghost Rider 2 but I ended up loving it, then I was a bit excited about Avengers and ended up almost fucking hating it.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 09:17 PM   #68
Leonardo T. Dragon
Commander
 
Leonardo T. Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: Peoria, IL
View Leonardo T. Dragon's Twitter Profile
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Noddy wrote: View Post
I have an unpleasant feeling the anniversary special is gonna turn out to be kind of a bummer....
Agreed. Nothing could live up to the hype and, let's be honest, we're never going to get anything like either the Three Doctors or Five Doctors ever again.

Plus, Moffat's run has been dodgy at best.
__________________
GIJoe Daily News, Reviews, and more-- all under one roof!
www.joebattlelines.com
Leonardo T. Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 09:23 PM   #69
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Maybe the 60th will be better.......
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 01:08 AM   #70
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Leonardo T. Dragon wrote: View Post
Noddy wrote: View Post
I have an unpleasant feeling the anniversary special is gonna turn out to be kind of a bummer....
Agreed. Nothing could live up to the hype and, let's be honest, we're never going to get anything like either the Three Doctors or Five Doctors ever again.

Plus, Moffat's run has been dodgy at best.
I'm American

I don't generally watch live TV (sometimes it's on in the background, but, I'm not focused on it. Generally I watch DVDs [including current shows I watch, I burn from On Demand to DVD and watch at my leisure])

Most of what I've seen online of hype, is the Forum posters (like us and other boards), scrounging for every morsel of information and complaining about the lack of advertizing/hype with trailers and demanding details Moffat won't give up (And of course, The Nerd Media placating us Forum Posters with rumors or complaining about the lack of hype)

So, I only have anecdotal information, all the Doctor Who General Audience folks at work (About 5) and SciFi in General or BBCA in General fans (another 2 or 3) come to me for info, and they're not bringing me any hype to confirm

So, for us US folks, where is this hype that has been put forth by The Show, from my limited exposure, it seems to be a lack of hype by The Show, causing the "We" to create our own hype, that The "Not We" are oblivious to?
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 01:27 AM   #71
StCoop
Commodore
 
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Sindatur wrote: View Post
So, for us US folks, where is this hype that has been put forth by The Show, from my limited exposure, it seems to be a lack of hype by The Show, causing the "We" to create our own hype, that The "Not We" are oblivious to?
Well last year the BBC claimed that the 50th Anniversary celebrations would be on a par with their Olympics Coverage, which has actually translated into a 75 minute special in a format that the BBC have abandoned before it's even transmitted, a docudrama that Mark Gatiss had been trying to get made for a decade and a couple of cheap talking heads shows.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 01:33 AM   #72
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

StCoop wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
So, for us US folks, where is this hype that has been put forth by The Show, from my limited exposure, it seems to be a lack of hype by The Show, causing the "We" to create our own hype, that The "Not We" are oblivious to?
Well last year the BBC claimed that the 50th Anniversary celebrations would be on a par with their Olympics Coverage, which has actually translated into a 75 minute special in a format that the BBC have abandoned before it's even transmitted, a docudrama that Mark Gatiss had been trying to get made for a decade and a couple of cheap talking heads shows.
But let's be honest. Does a TV show REALLY deserve to have celebrations on par with an event like the Olympics? Take off the fanboy glasses for a second. The Olympics, an event were thousands of athletes from around the world, with thousands of fans, and millions at home, competing for two weeks, versus a TV that's been around for 50 years, 26 seasons in a row, off for almost two decades and then has been pretty popular....

Come on... don't you think the BBC might have been exaggerating just a little? That maybe it's not a fair thing to hold them to that?

I love Doctor Who.... but really, that level of celebrations for a TV show? Silly.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 02:04 AM   #73
StCoop
Commodore
 
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Come on... don't you think the BBC might have been exaggerating just a little? That maybe it's not a fair thing to hold them to that?
I was just answering the question that was asked about examples of hype from the BBC.

That said... Nobody held a gun to their heads and forced them to make those levels of claims. Just like nobody made Moffat say that there would be no reduction in episodes right before splitting one series over two years.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 03:25 AM   #74
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

StCoop wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Come on... don't you think the BBC might have been exaggerating just a little? That maybe it's not a fair thing to hold them to that?
I was just answering the question that was asked about examples of hype from the BBC.

That said... Nobody held a gun to their heads and forced them to make those levels of claims.
Nobody held a gun to your head to take it this seriously. It's PR. Half of it is BS. PT Barnum was right...
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 12:42 PM   #75
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

StCoop wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Come on... don't you think the BBC might have been exaggerating just a little? That maybe it's not a fair thing to hold them to that?
I was just answering the question that was asked about examples of hype from the BBC.

That said... Nobody held a gun to their heads and forced them to make those levels of claims. Just like nobody made Moffat say that there would be no reduction in episodes right before splitting one series over two years.
Except my question was directed to a poster who's location is the US and my question specifically stated "US Folks". So, what the BBC said months ago doesn't really count as US hype, and really "All this hype" would imply non-stop thundering announcements, IMHO.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.