Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 8 2013, 06:28 PM   #736
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Well, one would assume that the eventual DVD release would see the involvement of the Restoration Team, while a quickie iTunes release would not.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 06:33 PM   #737
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ That's assuming that timeliness is a concern for the BBC. Evidence would suggest the BBC doesn't care about getting stuff, whether it's information or episodes, out to the fans quickly. They'll pretty much do it on their own schedule without paying attention to fan concerns.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 06:39 PM   #738
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

There's disagreement among different rumor sources about whether the episodes have been restored already, and if they have, by whom.

We're not really at a point yet where people perceive downloads, cloud storage, etc. as a permanent form of ownership, so for many the iTunes versions will be an immediate viewing opportunity rather than a part of the collection. And Doctor Who fans in particular like their extras; that's why the show has more bonus material per episode than virtually any other series, which wouldn't be the case if it weren't demonstrably profitable in the long run.
Old October 8 2013, 07:20 PM   #739
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Turbo wrote: View Post
Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
One version of the rumor is immediate iTunes (or other download service), then a DVD release to follow at some point. Which would certainly make more money than just the DVD.
Yeah, I would be one of those suckers who double dipped.
As would I, especially if it's true that Marco Polo is one of the completed stories.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 08:25 PM   #740
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

If Marco Polo were discovered in its entirety, I would probably cry with happiness.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 08:49 PM   #741
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Wow, we've got both ends of the spectrum represented here in terms of excitement over potential finds!
Old October 8 2013, 09:06 PM   #742
Candlelight
Admiral

After the other "news" sites had reported this, all I could think of was Captain Smith at 2am, the Titanic on a harsh lean and all the lifeboats gone, saying “Ok, well I can confirm we have actually hit something…”

Makes me wonder now how The Underwater Menace 2 was leaked so the BBC could track it's downloads and see how much they would get from iPlayer vs DVD.

Of course, once it hits a torrent site...
Old October 8 2013, 09:29 PM   #743
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
Also, wikipedia has a page from Ralph Watson (Captain Knight) which says he's still around.
Yes he's occasionally on the convention circuit.

And Twitter for that matter.
https://twitter.com/TheRalphWatson
Old October 8 2013, 09:41 PM   #744
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Today's entertainment: https://twitter.com/PaulVanezis/stat...19881246244864. (The recent conversation, not the original tweet.) Or, if you don't feel like clicking: fans convince themselves via Google searches that Sierra Leone's archive, which once held some missing Hartnell episodes from season three, was not destroyed despite archive researchers reporting it was; archive researcher is snidely dismissive; fans get hurt feelings, look for loopholes. Another day in crazy rumor land...
Well, if it's a known fact that those Sierra Leone Episodes were floating around as burnt cinders, surely that proves they've recovered those cinders and are working on restoring them When will the lies end and they'll finally release the damned epi sodes <Sorry, I tried to keep a straight face through the whole rant>
What a difference a month makes. Perhaps.
Old October 8 2013, 09:48 PM   #745
The Four Doctor
Ensign

The prints are most likely "bicycled" prints ex-ABC or NZBC which means they will have been cut to ribbons by the ultra-conservative censors of 1960s Australasia.
Remember that as late as The Sun Makers, the Australian censors cut the line "stuff the Company!" as they wanted to remind children to respect any authority.
The Four Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 09:49 PM   #746
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Today's entertainment: https://twitter.com/PaulVanezis/stat...19881246244864. (The recent conversation, not the original tweet.) Or, if you don't feel like clicking: fans convince themselves via Google searches that Sierra Leone's archive, which once held some missing Hartnell episodes from season three, was not destroyed despite archive researchers reporting it was; archive researcher is snidely dismissive; fans get hurt feelings, look for loopholes. Another day in crazy rumor land...
Well, if it's a known fact that those Sierra Leone Episodes were floating around as burnt cinders, surely that proves they've recovered those cinders and are working on restoring them When will the lies end and they'll finally release the damned epi sodes <Sorry, I tried to keep a straight face through the whole rant>
What a difference a month makes. Perhaps.
Yup, I was trying to maintain my skepticism (and just joking above), but, apparently there really are episodes afterall.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 10:00 PM   #747
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

The Four Doctor wrote: View Post
The prints are most likely "bicycled" prints ex-ABC or NZBC which means they will have been cut to ribbons by the ultra-conservative censors of 1960s Australasia.
Remember that as late as The Sun Makers, the Australian censors cut the line "stuff the Company!" as they wanted to remind children to respect any authority.
Strangely enough, many of those censored clips were actually preserved, even though the prints were junked. Many of them are on Lost in Time.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 10:05 PM   #748
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ I always found that extremely ironic. The very content they wanted to snip out was often the only content that survived!
Old October 8 2013, 10:21 PM   #749
Candlelight
Admiral

The Four Doctor wrote: View Post
Australia and New Zealand are two of the countries the fate of whose prints are mostly known. It's only really the NZ prints from season five which have no fate known (although likely junked in 1974 when Harriett St closed down).
Old October 8 2013, 10:29 PM   #750
diankra
Commodore

IF it is Web and Enemy then the 1974 Nigeria sale might be the source. If, might, etc.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote