RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,232
Posts: 5,347,649
Members: 24,607
Currently online: 573
Newest member: lueth2048

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

 
 
Thread Tools
Old September 27 2013, 08:23 PM   #1
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

I've just completed my second complete re-watch of Ron Moore's re-imagined Battlestar Galactica - mainlined the entire series in just over three weeks. I included all the extended episodes, webisodes and the specials - Razor and The Plan.

I'm sad to say my initial appreciation and enthusiam for the show has been greatly reduced from my first viewing, which was over an extended period.

There is still much I liked, the quality of the acting being foremost - truly excellent throughout. Also, the CG FX and production design are still quite convincing, and have largely held up pretty well for the most part. Bear McCreary's scoring is EXCEPTIONAL.

However, there are a number of issues I now have with the show, which didn't seem to register or wrankle so much first time round.

Firstly, to me, the entire run often comes across as an extended advertisement for religion/Christianity - and is about as subtle as the proverbial sledgehammer on many occasions. Personally, I just don't find this sort of thing particularly appealing in Science Fiction.

My other major peeve is the thoroughly dislikable nature of nearly all the main characters. To me, most of them come across as bi-polar psychopaths - regularly flipping between lofty morals and, well, pretty ugly and reprehensible immorality - at the flick of a switch.

The show is relentlessly depressing, disheartening and dismal - rarely did I end an episode with anything approaching an uplifting/upbeat feeling. I believe Ron Moore's basic premise for nuBSG was "dark and gritty" with no "forehead aliens" or space anomalies etc.

But, you know what, I love my aliens and anomalies, I love my optimism and yes, I love my idealised "enlightened" Federation or whatever. Going back to Trek after this mini marathon felt absolutely fantastic, like coming up for air from all the perpetual gloom!

Finally, the show's big culmination, I may have gotten this completely wrong, but essentially, "god did it" is my understanding - oh, and post crash Kara was a guiding angel? A massively disappointing conclusion to the show for me.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline  
Old September 28 2013, 04:57 PM   #2
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

Yet another person sees the light.

New Galactica wasn't "dark and gritty". It desperately tried to be that while at the same time just as desperately tried NOT to be sci-fi, and SPECTACUARLY failed at both.

What it is, is the longest commercial in creation for why the human race belongs on prozac.

Also, Kara Thrace is the WORST character EVER created for ANY show. They should have killed her in a different way at the end of every episode.

To the tune of The Benny Hill show.

We must challenge assumptions, after all.....
RandyS is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 07:58 PM   #3
The Stig
Rear Admiral
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Location: Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I've just completed my second complete re-watch of Ron Moore's re-imagined Battlestar Galactica - mainlined the entire series in just over three weeks. I included all the extended episodes, webisodes and the specials - Razor and The Plan.

I'm sad to say my initial appreciation and enthusiam for the show has been greatly reduced from my first viewing, which was over an extended period.

There is still much I liked, the quality of the acting being foremost - truly excellent throughout. Also, the CG FX and production design are still quite convincing, and have largely held up pretty well for the most part. Bear McCreary's scoring is EXCEPTIONAL.

However, there are a number of issues I now have with the show, which didn't seem to register or wrankle so much first time round.

Firstly, to me, the entire run often comes across as an extended advertisement for religion/Christianity - and is about as subtle as the proverbial sledgehammer on many occasions. Personally, I just don't find this sort of thing particularly appealing in Science Fiction.
It takes an extremely shallow viewing to make that assumption. By the end of the series, the 'God' was shown to be more akin to an advanced form of life, performing a millennia-long experiment on human/Cylon life.

My other major peeve is the thoroughly dislikable nature of nearly all the main characters. To me, most of them come across as bi-polar psychopaths - regularly flipping between lofty morals and, well, pretty ugly and reprehensible immorality - at the flick of a switch.
So, they behaved as people. The characters on BSG were the strongest element of the series.

The show is relentlessly depressing, disheartening and dismal - rarely did I end an episode with anything approaching an uplifting/upbeat feeling. I believe Ron Moore's basic premise for nuBSG was "dark and gritty" with no "forehead aliens" or space anomalies etc.
The show was inherently optimistic. It showed a group of people who were tested and found the strength not to break. BSG was about maintaining optimism in the face of unspeakable and unrelenting horror.

But, you know what, I love my aliens and anomalies, I love my optimism and yes, I love my idealised "enlightened" Federation or whatever. Going back to Trek after this mini marathon felt absolutely fantastic, like coming up for air from all the perpetual gloom!
Then BSG was, most assuredly, not for you.

Finally, the show's big culmination, I may have gotten this completely wrong, but essentially, "god did it" is my understanding - oh, and post crash Kara was a guiding angel? A massively disappointing conclusion to the show for me.
The ending was foreshadowed as early as the miniseries and was completely in keeping with the mythology of the show. From the start, there was a third party manipulating characters and events and the finale lifted the curtain to show us who that third party was.

As for Starbuck, she may have been the most compelling person on the show. Of all the changes that RDM made to the BSG formula when he remade the series, she was the best decision he ever made.
__________________
Some say that he was the first choice to play the new Doctor but turned it down when he couldn't put racing stripes on the TARDIS.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline  
Old September 30 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

The Stig wrote: View Post
It takes an extremely shallow viewing to make that assumption. By the end of the series, the 'God' was shown to be more akin to an advanced form of life, performing a millennia-long experiment on human/Cylon life.
Well, IMO, the overtly religious "vibe" and undertone of the series is fairly undeniable - and can easily be viewed as a rather obvious and blatant Christian parallel. Just because there's a throwaway line right at the end reference "it" not liking the god nomenclature doesn't change anything. Those of a religious bent watching may well find it "validating" in some way. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing - it's just not for me.

So, they behaved as people. The characters on BSG were the strongest element of the series.

The show was inherently optimistic. It showed a group of people who were tested and found the strength not to break. BSG was about maintaining optimism in the face of unspeakable and unrelenting horror.
See, I've heard this line of defence before. Personally, I just don't buy it. I don't currently know, nor have I met, anybody who flip-flops between compassion and "PUT THEM OUT THE AIRLOCK" extremes from out of nowhere. Yes yes, I'm sure you could come up with "in show" justifications for each and every action, but again, I just don't buy it. The characters are often just plain hateful.

Then BSG was, most assuredly, not for you.
That's purely an assumption on your part, and an incorrect one. I like many so called "dark and gritty" works - I just like them a little less forced and contrived - and not "dark" and sensational for the sake of it.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline  
Old October 7 2013, 01:07 AM   #5
Alex1939
Captain
 
Alex1939's Avatar
 
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

http://youtu.be/orLMbzb3D30
Alex1939 is offline  
Old October 7 2013, 06:56 PM   #6
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Riiiight... umm... so... Joss Whedon likes NuBSG... and...
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline  
Old October 7 2013, 07:12 PM   #7
The Stig
Rear Admiral
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Location: Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Riiiight... umm... so... Joss Whedon likes NuBSG... and...
Well, it's more about what's said than who said it. He really articulates how good BSG is.

Also, he does know a thing or two about great character-based storytelling.
__________________
Some say that he was the first choice to play the new Doctor but turned it down when he couldn't put racing stripes on the TARDIS.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline  
Old October 7 2013, 07:22 PM   #8
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

I'm an atheist and did not feel like the show was pandering to Christians. Ron Moore himself has said he's not a believer so the idea that the show was trying to put out a Christian point of view doesn't really hold up, especially when you consider the "God" of the show isn't particularly moral.

As for the likeability of the characters, I don't know what to tell you. I've never understood why people have to like the characters to enjoy a show. It's about whether they're engaging, not whether or not you'd want to hang out with them.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline  
Old October 7 2013, 07:58 PM   #9
The Stig
Rear Admiral
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Location: Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I'm an atheist and did not feel like the show was pandering to Christians. Ron Moore himself has said he's not a believer so the idea that the show was trying to put out a Christian point of view doesn't really hold up, especially when you consider the "God" of the show isn't particularly moral.

As for the likeability of the characters, I don't know what to tell you. I've never understood why people have to like the characters to enjoy a show. It's about whether they're engaging, not whether or not you'd want to hang out with them.
This show made me care about Tigh.

Tigh!

He's a weakling, a drunk and an out-and-out murderer. And I cried for him.

If this show can't make you feel something, then you're broken inside.
__________________
Some say that he was the first choice to play the new Doctor but turned it down when he couldn't put racing stripes on the TARDIS.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline  
Old October 8 2013, 03:11 PM   #10
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

The Stig wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Riiiight... umm... so... Joss Whedon likes NuBSG... and...
Well, it's more about what's said than who said it. He really articulates how good BSG is.

Also, he does know a thing or two about great character-based storytelling.
[LOL] Oh boy, I'm really not going to being making any new friends in this thread! But that video and JW's comments are still a whopping great "SO" for me? Honestly, I'm not trying to be deliberately contrary here, but Whedon is one of the most overrated writers/directors working in SF for me.

sidious618 wrote: View Post
As for the likeability of the characters, I don't know what to tell you. I've never understood why people have to like the characters to enjoy a show. It's about whether they're engaging, not whether or not you'd want to hang out with them.
To clarify my position, I did not state "you have to like characters to enjoy a show", merely that the NuBSG characters were particularly dislikeable, psychopathic and often heinous.

I regularly found their behaviours and actions to be totally implausible, with completely unrealistic motivations. The ridiculous and continuous "flip-flopping" between extremes was particularly grating for me.

All this served to "disengage" me from the both the characters and the show.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline  
Old October 8 2013, 03:42 PM   #11
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Riiiight... umm... so... Joss Whedon likes NuBSG... and...
Well, it's more about what's said than who said it. He really articulates how good BSG is.

Also, he does know a thing or two about great character-based storytelling.
[LOL] Oh boy, I'm really not going to being making any new friends in this thread! But that video and JW's comments are still a whopping great "SO" for me? Honestly, I'm not trying to be deliberately contrary here, but Whedon is one of the most overrated writers/directors working in SF for me.

sidious618 wrote: View Post
As for the likeability of the characters, I don't know what to tell you. I've never understood why people have to like the characters to enjoy a show. It's about whether they're engaging, not whether or not you'd want to hang out with them.
To clarify my position, I did not state "you have to like characters to enjoy a show", merely that the NuBSG characters were particularly dislikeable, psychopathic and often heinous.

I regularly found their behaviours and actions to be totally implausible, with completely unrealistic motivations. The ridiculous and continuous "flip-flopping" between extremes was particularly grating for me.

All this served to "disengage" me from the both the characters and the show.
If it makes you feel better, you just made a friend. My opinion on this more or less matches yours.
RandyS is offline  
Old October 8 2013, 06:33 PM   #12
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

The first 2 seasons are genuinely excellent, as is the New Caprica arc in Season 3.

After that? Rambling monkey jibberish leading up to a deus ex machina "God did it!" ending that has killed the show's reputation. I'll always treasure the first 2 seasons though. I just don't think that the show ending with a message that supports blind faith in an almighty plan, and hatred of technology, is particularly appropriate. Bit mental, really.
DalekJim is offline  
Old October 8 2013, 07:35 PM   #13
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

RandyS wrote: View Post
If it makes you feel better, you just made a friend. My opinion on this more or less matches yours.
THANX!
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Rambling monkey jibberish leading up to a deus ex machina "God did it!" ending that has killed the show's reputation.
Yep, that was the proverbial final straw for me. I don't want to get too over critical, but an accurate single word summation of my reaction to the ending would simply be: PATHETIC.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline  
Old October 8 2013, 07:56 PM   #14
stj
Rear Admiral
 
stj's Avatar
 
Location: the real world
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

In the original miniseries, Tricia Helfer exercises supernatural powers to murder a baby, for some unknown reason, an a dense crowd, yet get away with it. I suppose you could thus argue that showing us a Satanic monotheist slaying innocent religous pluralists (like US,) was foreshadowing the hand of God annihilating the anti-polytheists (which if we care to think about it very much means anti-Trinitarians.) In that sense I suppose that we could agree that a heavy-handed and bigoted religous theme was there from the very beginning.

But why then did the series go out of its way to also foreshadow an ostensisbly "rational" science-fictional alternative? In particular, the series absolutely insisted on the denial of a soul to the Cylons. Their immortality was based on the transmission of memories. Of course, the series also insisted that Cylons were indistinguishable from human beings (Baltar's detector was left ambiguous by the end.) This means that the show insisted that Cylons sent data without a transmitter! Such nonsense is perfectly acceptable to incompetents who have no sense of style in fictional science. The important point is that the show relied to the end on simultaneously foreshadowing a totally "rational", i.e., nonsupernatural universe.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that anything, not even the finale, with bring down the internet shibboleths about the 9/11 BattleStar Galactica.
__________________
The people of this country need regime change here, not abroad.
stj is offline  
Old October 8 2013, 08:21 PM   #15
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Yep, that was the proverbial final straw for me. I don't want to get too over critical, but an accurate single word summation of my reaction to the ending would simply be: PATHETIC.
I don't mind works of art being pro-Christian, pro-monotheism or pro-religion. I'm a fan of the Narnia stories.

I just thought the execution was incredibly lazy and a cop-out. They play up this mystery of how Starbuck has come back to life for ages, then she just vanishes in to thin air with no explanation. Mysterious, huh?

Nah. Just a loada bollocks. Nice to see a couple of people trying to defend it though.
DalekJim is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.