RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 665
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 8 2013, 04:23 PM   #721
StCoop
Commodore

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Atticus wrote: View Post
I can't see any serious episode hunter - which is what, given the amount apparently found, is what it seems likely they are dealing with - asking for something so absurd.
I dunno. If Ian found some more you can bet he'd be asking for all sorts of non-monetary rewards. The unofficial continuity advisor position has been vacant for a long time...
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:26 PM   #722
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

In a way, given the influence of fandom types on the proceedings, it's lucky that so many recoveries over the past thirty-odd years have gone down without any unpleasantness, or without the unpleasantness becoming public. But our luck has thoroughly run out.
Old October 8 2013, 04:28 PM   #723
VDCNI
Captain

GB now have a thread to celebrate the return of the episodes however it can not involve any speculation as to how they were returned, who returned them, how they will be released and not even which episodes they are!
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:29 PM   #724
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

VDCNI wrote: View Post
GB now have a thread to celebrate the return of the episodes however it can not involve any speculation as to how they were returned, who returned them, how they will be released and not even which episodes they are!
So...a thread basically of "OMG EPISODES" and nothing else? Sounds about as productive as GB usually is.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:31 PM   #725
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

StCoop wrote: View Post
I can't see any serious episode hunter - which is what, given the amount apparently found, is what it seems likely they are dealing with - asking for something so absurd.
I dunno. If Ian found some more you can bet he'd be asking for all sorts of non-monetary rewards. The unofficial continuity advisor position has been vacant for a long time...
Plus Shada being re-released on DVD

But it is a slightly different situation. These were found in Africa (we have to assume) by professionals who went out, spent money and - if Steve Roberts' comment about "mates risking their lives" is to be believed - hazarded their own safety to return this material. It suggests a professional approach, something Mr L could never be accused of in regards to DW. It's hard to imagine that the negotiations for episodes as yet unreturned concern anything but pecuniary matters...
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:38 PM   #726
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

StCoop wrote: View Post
Wasn't one of the crazy rumours that the person with the episodes wanted Moffat fired, amongst other things?
I'll be honest. I'm now entertaining some of the more absurd parts of the original Bleeding Cool reports back in June.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:43 PM   #727
VDCNI
Captain

Turbo wrote: View Post
So...a thread basically of "OMG EPISODES" and nothing else? Sounds about as productive as GB usually is.
Pretty much, someone even thanked the owner for 'allowing' them to celebrate!
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 05:11 PM   #728
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
"A number" have been found. That's a bit vague, but to me that implies more than 2 episodes. But it's down to semantics. Can't wait to find out!
I hoped that the rumoured '2' was stories and not episodes.
I'm guessing episodes because if they were complete stories I'm sure they'd do a DVD release first rather than iTunes.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 05:12 PM   #729
Lonemagpie
Writer

Fucking mental. I don't miss it.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 05:16 PM   #730
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

One version of the rumor is immediate iTunes (or other download service), then a DVD release to follow at some point. Which would certainly make more money than just the DVD.
Old October 8 2013, 05:20 PM   #731
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
One version of the rumor is immediate iTunes (or other download service), then a DVD release to follow at some point. Which would certainly make more money than just the DVD.
Yea, put them out there for immediate download, with no extras, and then release them on DVD with extras, is likely to get quite a bit of repeat buying. Few people are like me, and prefer to just have the episodes without the extras and "official case" (I like the space savings of putting them in a DVD wallet, and although the extras always look attractive, I find I rarely get around to watching extras, and if I do, it's almost always just once)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 05:35 PM   #732
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Hahaha, the sad thing is that it isn't surprising.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 05:58 PM   #733
diankra
Commodore

FWIW, one of the rumours about the 'problems' in recovering the episodes was that the person who was holding them wanted money for them, and BBC Worldwide didn't have enough on its own, so they were having to work out how to find the funds within the BBC as a whole (the BBC having decide to bite the bullet and ignore the legal technicalities about buying back their own property).
That version of the rumours said it was Enemy of the World (which would be put out on DVD first), Marco Polo (to be run on BBC4, hence they could put in money for it) and Web of Fear (no plans rumoured, which might make sense if it was still one episode short of the complete story).
No idea if that is what's happened, but it now seems more likely that it might be.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 06:14 PM   #734
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

Fucking mental. I don't miss it.
"Thank you, sir, may I have another?"
Yeah, I would be one of those suckers who double dipped.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 06:27 PM   #735
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Hmmm, interesting question which I'm sure marketing folks have looked into. I would've assumed you'd want to soak consumers for the more expensive format first (DVD) then the cheaper alternative down the road.

I'm thinking that once most people get it on iTunes, they won't want the DVD even with the extras. But, marketing is not my field.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote