USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 8 2013, 03:14 PM   #706
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Even if someone could possibly make a case here, the Broadcast Act 1956 states that all television broadcasts are under copyright for 50 years from the date of broadcast, so the only story that would "benefit" is Marco Polo, and not until the middle of next year.
As StCoop said above, the copyright on the episodes (as opposed to the broadcasts-- they're different categories because the law was written when unrecorded live TV and radio were still factors) lasts for 70 years from the death of the last of several key participants in their making. For "Marco Polo," for example, that will be Waris Hussein, who's still living.
Old October 8 2013, 03:21 PM   #707
N-121973
Commander

I was going to speculate before the BBC finally announced the announcment what the excuse would be for any further postponements and I came to the conclusion it would be that a Dalek exterminated the Blue Peter dog before it could regurgitate the reels and reels of missing Dr Who episodes it had just eaten.
On a more serious note, do you think any of these recovered episodes will find their way onto DVD? If they do I bet there'll be one of those stickers on the cover which'll read 'Not seen for 40 years!" or "Believed lost for ever, until now!". Not to mention a DVD extra detailing the story of their discovery.
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:22 PM   #708
diankra
Commodore

Kevin Davies is saying 19 on Facebook, but it may just be a joke.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:28 PM   #709
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Ian Levine is back on Twitter, telling fandom that "THE FATE OF THE OTHER MISSING EPISODES IS IN YOUR HANDS." Apparently if we don't all buy the new episodes from iTunes on Friday, if we wait for a DVD or pirate them, we'll never get the rest, which some sinister person or entity is hoarding.
There's more than a bit of hyperbole in his statement but perhaps a grain of truth. It's possible they're testing the iTunes waters to see how well they do and if it's viable for future newly found episodes. The alternative would be to package them either together on their own DVDs in compilations or with other stories, maybe new special editions.

It could be a case of the BBC seeing which approach is more profitable. If we don't buy them on iTunes, I'm sure they'd be made available in other ways, but perhaps not as quickly.

Of course, that's assuming there are more lost episodes that were found, which I'm not assuming at this point. Right now I'm thinking there are 2, at most.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:36 PM   #710
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Two episodes or two serials?
Old October 8 2013, 03:36 PM   #711
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
"A number" have been found. That's a bit vague, but to me that implies more than 2 episodes. But it's down to semantics. Can't wait to find out!

Mr Awe
Old October 8 2013, 03:38 PM   #712
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

OK, so how many, and which? Wake me up when they announce that.
Yeah, an announcement about an announcement. Snooze. Although, I am very happy about any finds!

Mr Awe
Old October 8 2013, 03:48 PM   #713
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
"A number" have been found. That's a bit vague, but to me that implies more than 2 episodes. But it's down to semantics. Can't wait to find out!
I hoped that the rumoured '2' was stories and not episodes.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:51 PM   #714
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

So, if it really is 19 episodes, and Enemy of the World and Web of Fear are indeed complete, that would leave either 7 (or 9, since we have 1 episode of each) episodes left. If this really is the way it falls, what's everyone's wishlist for the other 7 episodes, complete another serial(s) or scattered sampling of episodes? At this point, I'd prefer for the left over episodes not to be episodes that are already animated, 'cause I want as many stories as possible available

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:55 PM   #715
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Apart from the 90-episode strand of the rumor, the most common claim was that the find was all of "Web" and "Enemy" plus all of "Marco Polo." That would be 17 missing episodes, or 19 total. Part of the "blackmail" claim going around now is that "Marco Polo" and "Web" 3, the first appearance of the Brigadier, are being held back until whatever demands are met.
Old October 8 2013, 04:13 PM   #716
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Even if there had been a trace of doubt remaining, the reporting of it by the Beeb itself removes it. The fact they have confirmed it is technically the most significant development since the People article. Happy days
Atticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:13 PM   #717
StCoop
Commodore

Wasn't one of the crazy rumours that the person with the episodes wanted Moffat fired, amongst other things?
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:16 PM   #718
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

StCoop wrote: View Post
Wasn't one of the crazy rumours that the person with the episodes wanted Moffat fired, amongst other things?
It was.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:19 PM   #719
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

I can't see any serious episode hunter - which is what, given the amount apparently found, is what it seems likely they are dealing with - asking for something so absurd.
Atticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:21 PM   #720
StCoop
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
It was.
If he's a traditionalist maybe he's the one we should be thanking for casting Capaldi instead of one of those children whose names were being tossed around?
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote