Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 3 2013, 01:45 AM   #61
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Shinzon's motives

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Proof positive that you can make a genre film that has nothing to do with Earth and take the box office by storm? Star Wars.
And yet I recall discussion at the time that Alderaan was deliberately made a blue planet to remind us that it could have just as easily been Earth.
We still associate ourselves with the 'humans' in Star Wars.

We only really cared about the Ewok planet because our heroes were there.

I care about Romulus and Vulcan being destroyed because I'm involved in the mythos but my non-Star Trek husband couldn't care less about them.
I also didn't care about the people on Veridian 3.

When we hear about an overseas disaster it sometimes only makes the news here if our fellow countrymen were involved.
I hate to be mean but the massacre in Kenya recently only became of 'real interest' on the news because citizens from our country were killed.
My point was about the general fallacious reasoning of thinking that Earth had to be in danger for Joe Sixpack to care about the film.

Star Wars: Joe Sixpacks came out in droves to see a movie that took place "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"...no mention of Earth, and nobody cared.

Nemesis: Earth was in danger, and Joe Sixpacks stayed away in droves.

I don't see where there's much room for dispute here.
50 years ago on the week of April 4: With a little help from their latest #1 single, the Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart--a feat yet to be matched.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 05:01 AM   #62
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

And yet I recall discussion at the time that Alderaan was deliberately made a blue planet to remind us that it could have just as easily been Earth.
We still associate ourselves with the 'humans' in Star Wars.

We only really cared about the Ewok planet because our heroes were there.

I care about Romulus and Vulcan being destroyed because I'm involved in the mythos but my non-Star Trek husband couldn't care less about them.
I also didn't care about the people on Veridian 3.

When we hear about an overseas disaster it sometimes only makes the news here if our fellow countrymen were involved.
I hate to be mean but the massacre in Kenya recently only became of 'real interest' on the news because citizens from our country were killed.
My point was about the general fallacious reasoning of thinking that Earth had to be in danger for Joe Sixpack to care about the film.

Star Wars: Joe Sixpacks came out in droves to see a movie that took place "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"...no mention of Earth, and nobody cared.

Nemesis: Earth was in danger, and Joe Sixpacks stayed away in droves.

I don't see where there's much room for dispute here.
I think there were other reasons Joe Sixpack stayed away from Nemesis. Earth being in danger wasn't enough

In Firefly, Star Wars, Farscape there was little or no mention of Earth yet the leads were as American as Apple pie. They were our Earth correlation.

Even in Avatar where Earth was the bad guy I still didn't want to see Earth destroyed. In Avatar most of the movie was set up for us to be sympathetic for the natives and if they spend hours setting that up in a movie you don't have to have Earth in danger.

Actually I don't think that you need to have Earth in danger for a science fiction movie to be successful but you have to have something big like our way of life, our sovereignty, our freedom or or care enough about our heroes that we are invested in their freedom, their safety, their way of life.

If they had spent an hour of GEN making us sympathetic for the natives of Veridian 3 then I'd probably have been happy for Kirk to die. But you have to do it right the spent time in INS getting us to know the Baku and I still didn't like them LOL
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 03:06 AM   #63
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

So what it comes down to is that you have to give the audience something to invest in, something that they care about it. Shoehorning in "threat to Earth" doesn't necessarily cut it.

And before you can give the audience something to care about, first you have to get their butts in the seats. NEM failed miserably on that level.
50 years ago on the week of April 4: With a little help from their latest #1 single, the Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart--a feat yet to be matched.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 10:23 AM   #64
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

A plot where Picard had to defend Romulus, the UFP's long-time enemy, from a clone of himself created by the Romulans, would be a far more interesting plot rather than yet another threat to Earth--really if everyone is gunning for it why do people still live there?!?!?!

The Federation/Romulan backstory could be summed up in a voice over before the credits (a job for the wonderful speaking voice of Sir Patrick), which could be over a CGI snippet of the Romulan Wars (where they could've slipped in the NX-01 if they must).