Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 1 2013, 12:18 AM   #16
dg1379
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Downton Abbey ITV1 22nd September 9pm

I agree about the possibility of Edith taking another train. Robert definitely needs to back down and let the next generation run Downton. He'll just go back to his old ways and end up like Shrimpy did if he doesn't. Also, im glad we finally got to hear something about Gwen, I always liked her.
dg1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 09:22 AM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Yoda wrote: View Post
Now now, those two will do splendid together in the Third Reich. This will set up the Christmas Special where Hitler visits Downton quite nicely indeed.
My thoughts exactly.

Other than that thrilling possibility boring as all crap.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 03:03 PM   #18
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I can't believe they showed us pics of Edith meeting Virgin Wolf then cut it out of the ITV airing.
I take it the scene will be put back in for PBS like they did last year with certain scenes.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:54 AM   #19
Count Zero
Guess who's back

cultcross wrote: View Post
Some really big contrivances this week. The letter was ridiculous, and the bit about Alice loving Carson and sending him a message to that end was cringeworthy.
I'm pretty sure that was a lie the other Charlie told Carson to make him feel better.
It seems we've already found a replacement for Mrs. O'Brien and her evil ways. I wonder what Bates' response will be. Thomas should know better than to get on his bad side (again).

I loved Anna's slight WTF look when Bates told her that prison was an education. It was cute seeing him so pleased with himself after forging Moseley's signature, though. I think his prison past should play more of a role on the show so I appreciated all that.

Last edited by Count Zero; October 2 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 06:31 AM   #20
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I still think he killed his wife.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 02:04 AM   #21
dg1379
Lieutenant Commander

Ok, tonight's episode was ridiculous. Is Anna really afraid of that guy or that Bates would really go to prison for killing him?!
Old October 7 2013, 07:45 PM   #22
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Wow, I didn't think they'd go there and have Anna actually be raped. I thought that someone would stop that guy before then. Poor Anna. She's right, though, that if Bates found out who it was he'd kill the guy.
Old October 7 2013, 08:27 PM   #23
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Damn, that was a terrible turn of events, and yet, it doesn't surprise me. I understand how Anna is reacting the way she is, but I really hope she doesn't completely spurn Mr. Bates.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 09:44 PM   #24
cultcross
Say my name...

dg1379 wrote: View Post
Ok, tonight's episode was ridiculous. Is Anna really afraid of that guy or that Bates would really go to prison for killing him?!
Ridiculous? I was going to come on here and praise the show for one of the most realistic reactions to trauma we've seen yet. "Tell nobody and then it didn't happen" is a very common initial response to that sort of brutal crime as is a fear of healthy intimacy. They've started down a difficult road on that plot, I hope they have the guts to follow it through.
Old October 7 2013, 10:14 PM   #25
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

The Downton Abbey fandom on Tumblr did not like the episode one bit.
What I don't get is why has the family not had Gregson check out yet?
You think Violet would know his bank details, marriage status and shoe size by now?
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 12:25 AM   #26
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Gutsy move there with the rape. But I fear for the storyline going forward. I understand Anna's reaction and I guess that's in keeping with the times, but I do wonder how many episodes of "Anna keeping away from Bates and Bates wondering if their marriage is falling apart" we'll have before she admits that she was raped.

Why doesn't she just tell Mary or Cora and have the police arrest the guy? Bates can't go apeshit and kill him then.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 01:46 AM   #27
dg1379
Lieutenant Commander

cultcross wrote: View Post
dg1379 wrote: View Post
Ridiculous? I was going to come on here and praise the show for one of the most realistic reactions to trauma we've seen yet. "Tell nobody and then it didn't happen" is a very common initial response to that sort of brutal crime as is a fear of healthy intimacy. They've started down a difficult road on that plot, I hope they have the guts to follow it through.
I guess im just tired of the typical woman in distress but doesnt want anything done about it. There is probably a much better way to phrase what I am trying to say, but im tired and havent eaten yet.

It was a good episode and I also agree that they will hopefully follow through (and quickly, not lets wait two more episodes and deal with it). Ridiculous was not the right word to use, thinking about it now.
Old October 8 2013, 01:57 AM   #28
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I should've known better than to look at this thread again, but I'm actually glad that I did. I've got two questions:

Which episode is this? And is the rape on-screen or something we just know about in the background? The distinction is important for someone with PTSD after being raped.

Thanks.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:00 AM   #29
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

It's the episode that aired Sunday, episode 4.3. The rape is not on screen, but the sounds of it are heard (the ruckus, Anna's crying/screaming), interspersed with other shots of what's going on and why no one else can hear it.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:05 AM   #30
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Uhh, the episode is 4x03. There was some violence and dragging off, followed by sounds while the camera is pointed elsewhere. And some after-the-fact corner cowering. I'd probably tend towards avoiding the last 8 minutes or so of the episode, could easily be upsetting IMO.