Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 4 2013, 01:11 AM   #196
Deano2099
Commander

Re: Spoilers in Books: A Discussion.

DonIago wrote: View Post
I don't see what that's supposed to illustrate...
You wanted a citation. This forum is where I got the data from. The archives go back that far. All the evidence is here.

If you're asking me to provide the statistical analysis and select pieces of evidence for you, then you probably need to go and read some more about what "Citation needed" means.

Or y'know, actually say that's what you want instead of using some smug Wikipedia reference that you don't actually understand.
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 01:23 AM   #197
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I see.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 05:49 AM   #198
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Kind of like posting a picture of Congress when asked for information regarding how congressmen voted last year and why. Not really the needed, or relevant, information.
Old October 4 2013, 05:58 AM   #199
Elias Vaughn
Captain

This thread is so long that soon we're going to have people in other threads insisting we put any references to this thread under a spoiler tag.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 02:40 PM   #200
trampledamage
Clone

Deano2099 wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
I don't see what that's supposed to illustrate...
You wanted a citation. This forum is where I got the data from. The archives go back that far. All the evidence is here.

If you're asking me to provide the statistical analysis and select pieces of evidence for you, then you probably need to go and read some more about what "Citation needed" means.

Or y'know, actually say that's what you want instead of using some smug Wikipedia reference that you don't actually understand.
As others have pointed out, there's nothing wrong with expecting a requested citation to be slightly more specific and there's never any reason to be insulting in your reply.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 10:50 PM   #201
JWolf
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
But to then have a different book or books spoiled isn't right. People go into that thread knowing what to expect. They don't go in expecting a different book or books to be openly spoiled.
And there are guidelines in place for that. Which most people follow very well.

The only other way to improve things would be for every entry made by members to be approved by a Mod before it is published in public. And that would require a rostered staff of paid employees, 24 hours a day, would it not?

Am I correct in remembering that you devour each book, in eBook form, the moment they are published, and the chance of you, personally, getting spoiled is practically zero?
I do keep up. But there are a number of older books that I have not yet read. I've read most Star Trek books for sure though and chances are, a spoiler won't be about what I've not read.

But I'm not really worried about myself. I'm more concerned about others who have not yet read much or have a lot unread. It is unfair to divulge spoilers (out in the open) for books not part of the threads topic. That would be like a thread about A Stitch in Time and someone posting open spoilers for The Crimson Shadow.
Old October 8 2013, 12:23 AM   #202
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

But to then have a different book or books spoiled isn't right. People go into that thread knowing what to expect. They don't go in expecting a different book or books to be openly spoiled.

The only other way to improve things would be for every entry made by members to be approved by a Mod before it is published in public. And that would require a rostered staff of paid employees, 24 hours a day, would it not?

Am I correct in remembering that you devour each book, in eBook form, the moment they are published, and the chance of you, personally, getting spoiled is practically zero?
I do keep up. But there are a number of older books that I have not yet read. I've read most Star Trek books for sure though and chances are, a spoiler won't be about what I've not read.

But I'm not really worried about myself. I'm more concerned about others who have not yet read much or have a lot unread. It is unfair to divulge spoilers (out in the open) for books not part of the threads topic. That would be like a thread about A Stitch in Time and someone posting open spoilers for The Crimson Shadow.
How selfless and utterly unneeded of you.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:00 AM   #203
JWolf
Commodore

Dimesdan wrote: View Post

How selfless and utterly unneeded of you.
So would spoil books for others or would you use spoiler codes?
Old October 8 2013, 03:19 AM   #204
trampledamage
Clone

Not a mod post

But the problem is it's not just that black and white issue - it's not just people taking the time to put in spoiler code. We're talking about the whole history of Trek Lit. Say there's a thread about Scotty's lovelife and I want to make an off-hand reference to Mira Romaine, do I also have to stop and figure out if that's a spoiler for Memory Prime, a novel I haven't read in years?

I just don't think it's just feasible to ask people to make that sort of a judgement while in the middle of a discussion.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:41 AM   #205
Sran
Fleet Captain

So would spoil books for others or would you use spoiler codes?
I think most people have enough common sense and discretion to understand when and how the spoiler codes should be used. Newer books need the spoiler code because not everyone has had the chance to buy or read the novels in question. But older novels that have been out for years don't need the spoiler tags. Why? Because it's generally assumed that one could find a copy of the book to read it and that anyone sharing information about said book isn't revealing anything Earth-shattering.

--Sran
Old October 8 2013, 04:30 AM   #206
Darth Duck
Commodore

As one of those people who has a lot unread, I'm fine with it the way it is. It's on me that I'm so far behind. I don't need conversations stifled on my behalf.
Darth Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 08:38 AM   #207
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

But I'm not really worried about myself. I'm more concerned about others who have not yet read much or have a lot unread. It is unfair to divulge spoilers (out in the open) for books not part of the threads topic.
But posters are unlikely to do that if they're following the current guidelines. New people might be ignorant of the rules, or on how to use spoiler tags but, if they goof it up, that's what the notify button is for.

That would be like a thread about A Stitch in Time and someone posting open spoilers for The Crimson Shadow.
But "The Crimson Shadow" is a current book, so such a spoiler without warning is already against the guidelines.

I thought the argument was more about about if people dropped spoilers about "A Stitch in Time" into the current discussion of "The Crimson Shadow"?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 12:04 PM   #208
Scout101
Admiral

It SHOULD have been, if he was looking for any reasonable leg to stand on. And in that instance, ASIT came out 13 years ago, so who are we protecting from what? Seems like if it was a priority, they may have gotten to it by now. There's behind, and there's behind... After a point, need to be able to discuss SOMETHING in a discussion forum, after all
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:11 PM   #209
Elias Vaughn
Captain

Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:06 PM   #210
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^Thanks for ruining that one for me.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote