Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 20 2013, 11:55 AM   #31
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

teacake wrote: View Post
There's no way I'm buying all of Trek on blu-ray having just finished buying it all on dvd's 5 years ago.
I'm having a hard time justifying that as well.
Old September 20 2013, 06:05 PM   #32
JariM
Lieutenant

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I actually think that the lack of red-shirt deaths in the first 2 seasons was one of the best things ENT did, It made season 3 so much better and actually brought a sense of real loss to Star Trek which never really existed before due to how casual death was treated in the other shows.
Since this is early days for earth I bet a bunch of red shirt deaths would have jeopardized the program. They are supposed to be explorers and every death would be a shocking failure.

How many Enterprise personnel die during TOS?
Ex Astris Scientia has a page about that. It seems they had quite a number of casualties.

Redshirt Deaths in TOS
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/da...irt_deaths.htm
Old September 20 2013, 09:51 PM   #33
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Is it legal to send garbage through the US mail? I'd think so anyways that's a pretty assholish thing to do.
Old September 20 2013, 10:27 PM   #34
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I bet it was James Dixon.
Old September 21 2013, 12:57 AM   #35
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

JariM wrote: View Post
BruntFCA wrote: View Post
I actually think that the lack of red-shirt deaths in the first 2 seasons was one of the best things ENT did, It made season 3 so much better and actually brought a sense of real loss to Star Trek which never really existed before due to how casual death was treated in the other shows.
Since this is early days for earth I bet a bunch of red shirt deaths would have jeopardized the program. They are supposed to be explorers and every death would be a shocking failure.

How many Enterprise personnel die during TOS?
Ex Astris Scientia has a page about that. It seems they had quite a number of casualties.

Redshirt Deaths in TOS
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/da...irt_deaths.htm
56!!!

That's a lot of death for 3 years. I would say that's a failed mission. If the NX-01 had that many deaths the mission would have been cancelled I bet. And the ENT crew is supposed to be the newbies in space!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 08:50 AM   #36
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

You just had to mention the Devil...
Old September 21 2013, 10:59 AM   #37
Tiberius
Commodore

bullethead wrote: View Post
Isolinear wrote: View Post
Berman says he would always veto a storyline in which a crewman’s legs were blown off because that would not be true to Gene Roddenberry’s vision.
So, how did "The Siege of AR-558" slip through?
I heard it was because they reduced it to one leg being blown off instead of two.
And I guess the Federation at war WAS true to Roddenberry's vision?

I don't have a problem with changing standards, but I do have a problem with double standards.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 04:39 PM   #38
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Is it legal to send garbage through the US mail? I'd think so anyways that's a pretty assholish thing to do.
I totally agree. You may not like the direction a show is going in, but that is seriously overreacting!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 05:06 PM   #39
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Tiberius wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
Isolinear wrote: View Post
So, how did "The Siege of AR-558" slip through?
I heard it was because they reduced it to one leg being blown off instead of two.
And I guess the Federation at war WAS true to Roddenberry's vision?

I don't have a problem with changing standards, but I do have a problem with double standards.
DS9 at war with Roddenberry? I think that is an exaggeration. Consider that RDM would have Nog receive counseling from a sauve 1960s crooner, eventually returning to duty, his psychological problems repaired, and able to pilot the Defiant to victory in the final episode. On the other hand, RDM took one Felix Gaeta, who lost his leg after Anders shot him and because the crew refused to jump so he could get treatment, became embittered at the collaboration emerging between the fleet and the rebel Cylons. With his itchy, painful stump, he leads a rebellion against the Galactica's leadership, but loses the direction of the rebellion's goals. In spite of his late surrender, he is executed along with his co-conspirator.

Nog finds help that allows him to return to full duty. Gaeta gets a bullet: only his itchy stump is cured before he slumps over. I believe DS9 was still very much moderated by the Roddenberry vision, even if it pushed its boundaries or, at times, stepped over them.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 06:53 AM   #40
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
I totally agree. You may not like the direction a show is going in, but that is seriously overreacting!
I remember that when the news hit that the Borg were going to appear on ENT that once of the posters in this forum claimed that he broke his tv in anger over it. Some people just need to get a grip.
Old September 22 2013, 07:09 AM   #41
R. Star
Rear Admiral

If a tv show angers me to the point I feel like breaking things, I can make it go away with the click of a button.
Old September 22 2013, 09:38 AM   #42
Takeru
Fleet Captain

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Remember this is TNG-era Gene Roddenberry, not TOS Gene. TNG Gene's outlook changed quite a lot. Berman was always trying to stop and think about WWGD (What Would Gene Do) in the way he ran the franchise. He says so on one of the TNG Blu-ray documentaries and on Rod Rodenberry's doc TrekNation.

He had a bust of Gene in his office and he'd blindfold it as a symbol when he would give in and approve something he didn't think Gene would like.

http://weminoredinfilm.files.wordpre...-blindfold.jpg

I bet that blindfold was on a lot for Ira Steven Behr's meetings
He should have just thrown the bust into the trash, problem solved! Didn't Berman notice a trend when the show got better every time the blindfold was on? That should have been a hint.
Roddenberry's vision was crap and detrimental to the franchise.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 10:14 AM   #43
oddsigve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
This is what happens when instead of one man with vision you have a room full of people all shouting their own agendas.
Sounds like the world we live in today. Too many agendas and perhaps the downside with the extreme form of individuality we profess today?
Old October 2 2013, 10:19 AM   #44
oddsigve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
This is what happens when instead of one man with vision you have a room full of people all shouting their own agendas.
Sounds like the world we live in today. Too many agendas and perhaps the downside with the extreme form of individuality we profess today?
Old October 7 2013, 09:48 PM   #45
Mr_Closet
Lieutenant

Hello. You won't remember me. Last time I was here I didn't stay long, but I thought I'd stick my oar in and mutter something about the show.

I've been watching season 4 recently and have been both pleasantly reminded of just how much I enjoyed it (season 4) the first time, and just how tragic it was that the show should be cut off in its late-blooming prime, and in such a disappointing way (TNG homage).

I think the whole show was a political football from day one, with the first two seasons governed strictly by the Big Hollywood Tick Box Book of Tropes That Sell in which you will find, among other things, that a slinky sewn-up catsuit on a curvy female cast member resting somewhere between items 1 and 5 on the first page.

I also think matters weren't helped by the age of the franchise. Too many vested interests. Compare to the BSG reboot which took place so long after the original show that it was, for all intents and purposes, a completely new project with all new staff, cast, crew and producers, and the freedom to do what they needed to be successful. Had a similar break been possible between the TNG era shows and Enterprise, perhaps a similar outcome would have resulted. (Season 4 as season 1, etc.)

But is the passage of time the only way to achieve such a thing? Could not a sufficient 'break' be achieved by other means? Perhaps by outsourcing Enterprise to another company and creative staff? One in which B&B, and whoever else might be considered to blame for Enterprise's failures, had nothing but an advisory role, at most, with some power of veto to permit them to act as guardians of the overall franchise and, if considered appropriate, Roddenberry's creative legacy.

Essentially, write and produce Enterprise behind a firewall to keep the sticky fingers of the existing vested interests and other 'stakeholders' off it. Could this have worked?

Well, whether or not, it's all 20:20 hindsight. But I do wonder if it might have applicability for the future...

Ugh... I just reminded myself what the future holds, and it's name is Abrams.

Anyone think there's any credibility to the suggestion, which is apparently accredited to Jolene Blalock, that part of the reason for Enterprise's cancellation was to facilitate the creation of the Abramsverse?

Okay, time to climb back into my closet.
Mr_Closet is offline   Reply With Quote