CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

View Poll Results: What's your first impression of iOS 7? (public poll)
Big improvement 7 25.93%
Small improvement 5 18.52%
Six of one... 9 33.33%
Step in the wrong direction 4 14.81%
Disaster 1 3.70%
Haven't used, or need more time to decide 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 26 2013, 07:01 AM   #16
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Re: iOS 7

I think iOS 7 is a huge improvement. But I don't like the cover art when scrolling the artist and songs pages or the fact that when you go to an artist it shows all their albums as well as songs on that page forcing you to scroll a lot to find the right song. Some gestures in the app would be a nice step also. The calendar is a mess as well but I've long since moved onto superior third party agenda apps.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 05:21 PM   #17
RoJoHen
Awesome

ialfan wrote: View Post
I think iOS 7 is a huge improvement. But I don't like the cover art when scrolling the artist and songs pages or the fact that when you go to an artist it shows all their albums as well as songs on that page forcing you to scroll a lot to find the right song.
Yes, this is driving me nuts. There needs to be a separate album menu for each artist.
Old September 27 2013, 06:07 PM   #18
Warped9
Admiral

I installed it on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. I have mixed feelings so far. On the positive side I find my devices seem to work a bit better and are more responsive. On the downside I don't care much for the new look of the apps and menus and the rest---they look overly simplistic in a cartoony way. I think I'm beginning to miss Steve Jobs.
Old September 27 2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

One thing about it is, my iphone 4S and ipod 5G are running it equally as well, the phone is slightly faster, ipod no slow down at all. No greater battery drain and some of the more awkward transitions of apps are smoother.

It's appearance is still hard to get used to and could be better, but more importantly, it functions great.
Old September 27 2013, 09:38 PM   #20
IronWaffle
Ensign

ialfan wrote: View Post
I think iOS 7 is a huge improvement. But I don't like the cover art when scrolling the artist and songs pages or the fact that when you go to an artist it shows all their albums as well as songs on that page forcing you to scroll a lot to find the right song. Some gestures in the app would be a nice step also. The calendar is a mess as well but I've long since moved onto superior third party agenda apps.
This and some other issues with how iOS 7 handles music and podcasts are the only reason I haven't upgraded my devices yet. I like the new features and could adjust to the new design, but for me these are primarily devices for consuming audio.
IronWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 12:42 AM   #21
StolenThunder
Poster

The podcast thing is annoying. Forces you to use the app which while slightly improved is still very poor.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 09:14 AM   #22
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

I find it a lot better for my uses. Things that were a pain to get to before on my iPhone (like brightness control) are now easily accessible. I like the cleaner look and don't miss the skeuomorphic look one bit.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 10:09 PM   #23
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I've been largely happy with iOS7. My iPad2 and iPhone4 (my default iPod now) now run much, much faster than they had been running and my iPhone5 (my phone) is even better than it was before. Too, as Maurice pointed out, all three now work nearly perfectly for the things I use them for, which is just about all I can ask.

FYI: Late last night, Apple put out the first update on iOS7 too, to fix various bugs -inluding the lock screen hiccup issue.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 03:29 AM   #24
Warped9
Admiral

Okay, first serious complaint. I fucking hate how iOs7 has dicked around with iTunes. I had music on my iPad2 I could play with just a tap of my finger, but now I've got to wait for each individual song to download again.

This is serious douche baggery.
Old September 30 2013, 06:38 AM   #25
RoJoHen
Awesome

iPhoto refuses to recognize my iPhone anymore. iTunes is working just fine for me, but iPhoto won't even acknowledge its presence, which is really annoying because I have picture on my phone that I want to transfer over.
Old October 7 2013, 03:33 PM   #26
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I voted "Step in the Wrong Direction". Not quite a disaster, but definitely not an improvement, IMO. I despise the minimalist interface look and feel. It strikes me as trying to take a page from the insipid Windows 8 playbook (also a very minimalist interface compared to its earlier incarnations), which I think is a BIG mistake. Apple has always been a leader in interface design - not a follower. This, to me, is a step backwards. Don't like what they did with Safari - then again, I think Safari as a browser on any platform, in general, is shit. And the new OS seems to be a severe battery drain, even after trying all the myriad energy saving tricks, more than ever before.

I am now convinced that Apple has hired all the hack developers that have been fired or laid of from Microsoft. They have brought the "worst of breed" practices with them and infiltrated Apple to bring it down from within, with the hopes of one day currying favor with Microsoft and being invited back into their fold. This, of course, is hyperbole, but I really do feel that the Apple of today has really taken some serious missteps since Dear Leader passed a few years back. Their complacency and indifference to the quality of their products will be their undoing. As a long-time Mac user for almost 20 years (and the NeXT back in the 80's and early 90's) It makes me sad...
Old October 7 2013, 03:37 PM   #27
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

I think the minimalism is a great idea. You've got to ask yourself, is all of that frilly frou-frou crap actually making the OS easier to USE? Does it have a function? Is it efficient to have your contact list look like a leather book, for your Notes app to look like a yellow pad of paper, etc.? No? Then why have it?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 03:49 PM   #28
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

While I'm not an old man, I am getting older (43) and my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Many of the icons and buttons not only made the buttons over-saturated primary colors, sometimes complementary colors set next together (not a good idea in interface design, generally), but the icons inside the buttons are often small, very thin lines that are difficult to make out. The metaphors they're trying to represent also seem a bit unintuitive. The art of making intuitive icons - something that Apple pioneered with the first Macs back in the 80's - seems to have been completely lost in recent years. Instead of imagery that clearly defines the function of something it's supposed to represent, iOS7 has reduced itself to a Rorschach Test of hyper-minimalism, relying on the users' ability to play constant guessing games at the potential purpose of a button, rather than to difinitively acknowledge it and allow the user to continue on his/her way unencumbered.

When something has a function, yes, I want to know what it is. Guessing at functionality based on vague and seemingly ambiguous imagery is NOT efficient. Having slightly more detail and a less obtuse color palette does, in fact, make things easier to use.

Having been a web developer for 19 years, and striving to create intuitive interfaces, it seems to me that Apple has broken many of the interface design conventions that they, themselves, established and used for almost 3 decades and have had copied and stolen over and over again by countless other companies and organizations. When it ain't broke, leave it the hell alone! Change for change's sake is NEVER a good thing. It almost feels like when Microsoft changed their entire Office suite interface around in favor of this ridiculous new "ribbon" layout. Even though it's been around now for a couple years, I still need to occasionally hunt for functionality that I used to be able to find in seconds under the old menu bar. Same mentality. That's why I'm convinced Apple has been infiltrated by lesser minions of Microsoft.

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; October 7 2013 at 04:12 PM.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 04:21 PM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

I, too, am not fond of the overly minimilast interface. I can understand simplifying some things for greater efficiency---and my iPhone and iPad do seem to work better and faster---but the interface bugs me whenever I look at it because I find it unattractive and amateurish looking. The rearranging of some things has also bugged me. A simple example is the bookmark button on Safari---I was so used to it being on the left (where it still is on my iMac (running Mountain Lion) that I keep missing it now that it's on the right in iOs7.

Yeah, I also wonder if something has gone missing with the passing of Steve Jobs.
Old October 7 2013, 04:24 PM   #30
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ It's almost like it's an interface that was designed and built by Fisher Price. Sadly, this was the description I gave of Windows 8 when its screen shots started gracing our presence in online reviews.

I, too, think it's amateurish looking, but apparently it's all the rage now. One of my favorite online web mags (Smashing) just recently did an article on this, sadly, in favor of the practice, rationalizing all the things I mentioned above and then-some: Flat and Thin Are In - blaming (or crediting) most of this "trend" on information over-saturation allegedly inherent within previous-generation interface designs. Something I disagree with. Many have confused "feature-rich" with "busy" over the years. I agree that some have blurred the lines and delivered bloated products to justify higher price tags, but if an interface designer knows what he/she is doing, an interface can effectively deliver a large amount of information without bogging the design down with perfunctory widget-mongering. Again, it seems to be a lost art.

Ugh. Well, since things like this seem to come and go in a pendulous manner, I guess I'll just have to wait for another 10 years for it to swing back.

Sigh...