RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 558
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 6 2013, 12:05 PM   #16
Boris Skrbic
Commander

Re: Nostalgia of old tv sets

Old TV sets are the one true way to watch 576p or less.
Boris Skrbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 02:34 PM   #17
Metryq
Captain

SPACEBALLS: THE MOVIE

"Prepare to fast-forward!"

"Preparing to fast-forward, sir!"
Old October 6 2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Dukhat
Commodore

I can't believe that it's already two pages and nobody has commented that the OP has the most awesomest username in all of the TrekBBS.
Old October 6 2013, 05:00 PM   #19
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester

We had cable back in the mid 70s, and the cable company tried to pull in 100-mile-distant stations with just limited success. I could watch TOS on WAAY in Huntsville during the week fine, but faraway WBMG in Birmingham (now WIAT), which showed Trek on Saturdays, was only visible when it rained. I "watched" anyway. (lol)
Old October 7 2013, 12:48 AM   #20
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

When I was growing up my grandparents had a TV that had a button that switched between black/white and color mode. When I was watching things in black and white I would stop noticing the fact that it was in black and white. Your brain has a way of adjusting.

The big jump for me was when DVDs first came out. I was so used to static lines, tracking issues, snow, fast forwarding through commercials, and general fuzziness. DVDs came out, holy crap the picture was sharp.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 01:46 AM   #21
Metryq
Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
When I was growing up my grandparents had a TV that had a button that switched between black/white and color mode.
Color mode button? What country, Brazil?
Old October 7 2013, 02:28 AM   #22
drt
Commander

I was lucky as a kid, we had cable from about 1970 onward, so I never had to play the rabbit ears game - although, oddly enough, I do remember when the station that showed Star Trek got better copies of the show and the picture quality and color improved noticably.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 02:38 AM   #23
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Metryq wrote: View Post
When I was growing up my grandparents had a TV that had a button that switched between black/white and color mode.
Yeah, I never heard of that. And it seems like an unnecessary function, since b&w broadcasts will show up just fine on a color set.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 02:52 AM   #24
Melakon
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Metryq wrote: View Post
Yeah, I never heard of that. And it seems like an unnecessary function, since b&w broadcasts will show up just fine on a color set.
It's possible some of those early color TV's in the 50s or 60s had remotes that did that, as not all shows were color then. I didn't buy a color tv with remote until the 70s though (a Magnavox), and I think it did have something like that. In poor reception areas, a black and white show could have multi-colored "snow" specks, which was more distracting than black and white snow. A poorly received color show could have color snow, making the intended image harder to see, but easier to see in black and white.
Old October 7 2013, 03:33 AM   #25
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
It's possible some of those early color TV's in the 50s or 60s had remotes that did that, as not all shows were color then. I didn't buy a color tv with remote until the 70s though (a Magnavox), and I think it did have something like that. In poor reception areas, a black and white show could have multi-colored "snow" specks, which was more distracting than black and white snow. A poorly received color show could have color snow, making the intended image harder to see, but easier to see in black and white.
I feel pretty silly now, but this is almost starting to ring the faintest imaginable bell. I can't quite remember it, but I think we had that on our first color set, too. When there was not enough signal for a color picture, you'd pop that button and stop trying to pull in color at all. I think there was a button for that!
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 04:17 AM   #26
Melakon
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I feel pretty silly now, but this is almost starting to ring the faintest imaginable bell. I can't quite remember it, but I think we had that on our first color set, too. When there was not enough signal for a color picture, you'd pop that button and stop trying to pull in color at all. I think there was a button for that!
No worries. I was in my 20s in the 70s, but there's a lot of details I'm hazy about when trying to remember some things. Though I still remember two different street addresses we had before I was in kindergarten.
Old October 7 2013, 05:50 PM   #27
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

We were the last people on the block to get a color tv. Back then those puppies were made to last!
btw, I'm going backwards. I've been exploring marvelous radio shows (like Suspense) that no one seems to talk about anymore.
Old October 7 2013, 06:59 PM   #28
Melakon
Vice Admiral

^ You might want to check the Internet Archive at http://archive.org/index.php

They have some old radio shows there, but I'm not sure which ones. I've downloaded old movies, cartoons, and tv shows from there.
Old October 7 2013, 07:07 PM   #29
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

And for you really younger folk (IE under 20 years old) - now you'll understand why the producers of Star trek were concerned about using a 17XX number for the Constellation in "The Doomsday Machine" as with TV sets and rabbit ear antennas of the day, the audience could very well think (at some point) they were looking at the Enterprise in the opening titles shot of the damaged Constellation.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 07:11 PM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
btw, I'm going backwards. I've been exploring marvelous radio shows (like Suspense) that no one seems to talk about anymore.
Video killed the radio star.