RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,683
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 774
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
A+ 35 42.68%
A 28 34.15%
A- 10 12.20%
B+ 6 7.32%
B 2 2.44%
B- 0 0%
C+ 1 1.22%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 6 2013, 03:40 AM   #31
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: Gravity - Review and Discussion Thread

I thought this was a really good film. An amazing visual treat, one I wish I could have seen on an IMAX screen. Cuaron really knows how to film a movie and space comes alive her. I also appreciate the 90-minute run time and that Cuaron didn't feel the need to inflate the run time.

Sandra Bullock was very good and definitely carried the movie. I don't know about Oscar good though. It takes a while for her character to get going, pretty much grunting and breathing her way through the beginning of the movie. And I agree that she spoke too much after Clooney was gone. Clooney was good as always but he was basically playing George Clooney as an astronaut.

I have to say that the audience I saw it with was packed and have a young and old and diverse group of people. This film definitely has broad appeal.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 07:10 AM   #32
Harvey
Admiral

I had a great time -- even though Bullock's acting chops (and the script, honestly) weren't up to those two monologues she gives in the final 30 minutes.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 01:48 PM   #33
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Went and saw it again tonight Still awesome. The cinema wasn't full, but the NRL grand final, I knew it wouldn't be. Anyways, seemed to be a quarter full. I love the scenes around the ISS. This is one blu-ray I'm gonna get in the 3D version, as I want to see how everything was done with. And I have no idea how it was done.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 08:43 PM   #34
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The long-term consequences of what is implied by this movie are pretty staggering. The Russians are, at a minimum, responsible for the deaths of four astronauts; the destruction of a space shuttle, the ISS, and Tiangong; and, from the looks of it, the gutting of a massive chunk of the global satellite network, with unknown and potentially massive consequences for the future of communications and other satellite technology; and, from the final images, possibly massive amounts of debris falling to the surface of the planet causing unknown destruction. The US, China, and the European Union must be pissed off.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 09:10 PM   #35
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Leave it to the Russians to cause a catastrophe.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 10:48 PM   #36
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

I loved the film. I saw it in 2-D with my lady.
I think I will try to see it in 3-D sometime in the next 2 weeks. Very impressed with this film. No laser guns sci-fi in space. Great performances. Decent story. Really intense plot scenarios and direction. great cinematography (very realistic).
I think we will see more space-set video games (Mass Effect universe?) using this type of physics simulation.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 12:24 AM   #37
Romulan_spy
Commodore

I absolutely loved this movie from start to finish! The visuals were truly stunning and really made you feel like you were there hanging in the vacuum of space with the astronauts. The movie gives you a definite appreciation for how awe inspiring it must be to be floating in space 600 km above the Earth. The threat felt real! When the debris thrashed the shuttle and Sandra's character is spinning out of control alone, I breathed "she is so screwed!" under my breath in the theater because the realism was so gripping.

Now, I know that astronauts can have fun in space, but did anyone feel like the beginning of the movie where Clooney's character is essentially joy riding on his jet pack around the shuttle and telling stories, a bit jarring? My first thought when I saw that scene was that Clooney's character was acting a bit unprofessional and unbecoming for an astronaut that is supposed to be experienced.
Romulan_spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 12:26 AM   #38
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ I was afraid that he'd float away and wouldn't be able to get back to the shuttle.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 01:33 AM   #39
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
I absolutely loved this movie from start to finish! The visuals were truly stunning and really made you feel like you were there hanging in the vacuum of space with the astronauts. The movie gives you a definite appreciation for how awe inspiring it must be to be floating in space 600 km above the Earth. The threat felt real! When the debris thrashed the shuttle and Sandra's character is spinning out of control alone, I breathed "she is so screwed!" under my breath in the theater because the realism was so gripping.

Now, I know that astronauts can have fun in space, but did anyone feel like the beginning of the movie where Clooney's character is essentially joy riding on his jet pack around the shuttle and telling stories, a bit jarring? My first thought when I saw that scene was that Clooney's character was acting a bit unprofessional and unbecoming for an astronaut that is supposed to be experienced.
This was his last mission. He wasn't afraid of the consequences. I mean, what are they gonna do -- ban him from outer space? And who's gonna go get him while he's goofing off.

ALso, I think someone form mission control encouraged him to enjoy his ride.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 02:18 AM   #40
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

The voice of mission control encouraged the stories. Remember when he started talkin' about Mardi Gras & Houston verified that he hadn't heard that story?

Also, did anyone else notice it was Apollo 13's Ed Harris as the voice of Mission Control? I thought that was a nice touch.
Old October 7 2013, 02:21 AM   #41
Shanndee
Commodore

I really liked this movie. The visuals were stunning and the actors sold the total isolation and danger of working in space incredibly well. I preferred "Moon" as a character study on the effects of working in isolation in space, but this is a close second. (although visually "Gravity" kicks "Moon"s butt).

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 02:30 AM   #42
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The movie made $55.6 million this weekend.

F0under wrote: View Post
Also, did anyone else notice it was Apollo 13's Ed Harris as the voice of Mission Control? I thought that was a nice touch.
Saw his name in the closing credits.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 03:13 AM   #43
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
The long-term consequences of what is implied by this movie are pretty staggering. The Russians are, at a minimum, responsible for the deaths of four astronauts; the destruction of a space shuttle, the ISS, and Tiangong; and, from the looks of it, the gutting of a massive chunk of the global satellite network, with unknown and potentially massive consequences for the future of communications and other satellite technology; and, from the final images, possibly massive amounts of debris falling to the surface of the planet causing unknown destruction. The US, China, and the European Union must be pissed off.
Not to mention the destruction of the Hubble. And the debris field will likely orbit the Earth for a long time which puts a big wrench in any hope for future launches into space. (We'll accept for the moment that communication satellites, space telescopes, space stations and shuttle missions all happen in the same orbit.)

As I said in my review such an incident (though it is impossible to occur in real life) would decimate man's ventures into space and the loss of the satellites would have a lot of consequences in all sorts of areas on Earth. And the debris field would be a constant hazard to us on Earth as it came crashing down over the period of the next few decades or however long it'd take.

Yeah, Russia would not be looking good to anyone at all and would have a big "Oops, our bad!" statement coming. Trillions of dollars in damage and we're assuming there were no more lives lost beyond the shuttle crew. (The escapees from the ISS and Tiangong could've died/crashed into debris during their escape.)

This whole thing would be "quite* the incident. My buddy and I talked about this after the movie how there'd be *massive* consequences following these events.

And I was so taken by Sandra Bullock in her tank-top and spandex shorts it didn't dawn on me until much later she wasn't wearing the under-garment/apparatus to the EVA suit. Also, didn't NASA stop using the MMU a long time ago (during the shuttle era, that is.)

It's also funny to note that if Clooney wasn't dicking around so much in the MMU it would have had enough fuel in it to not make the trip to the ISS so "on the line", risky, and not mention saved his life. (Though, that was inaccurately portrayed. In real life once Bullock had a hold of him and both were stopped he'd have no momentum "pulling" her away causing the strain.)
Old October 7 2013, 04:32 AM   #44
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

It would take less than a few decades for that debris to fall into the atmosphere and burn up, but yes, the short term consequences on our daily lives would be insane.

I still say that being spoiled about the ending of Gravity is like being spoiled about the ending of Titanic. Gravity is more about the visceral emotional experience of the characters than the ending. It's obvious how it's going to end very early on.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:01 AM   #45
chrisspringob
Commodore

The debris field wouldn't effect future launches, because you can just launch things into a different orbit. Space is big. Despite how it's portrayed in the movie, the debris field wouldn't chase you around wherever you go. Aren't most communication satellites in geostationary orbits anyway, and thus much higher up than Hubble or the ISS?
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote