IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 6 2013, 10:22 PM   #46
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: My name is.....SORAN!

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Khan would never consider himself a savage. Just like Hitler wouldn't consider himself a monster.
Irrelevant. They still are those things, whether or not they THINK they are.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 10:29 PM   #47
The Wormhole
Admiral

MrJ wrote: View Post
Many critics have mentioned having Khan as the villain was a mistake. [SNIP] And part of that could have been Khan, as well as many other things.
Using Khan wasn't necessarily a mistake, the way they went about it was. So they went with Khan because they feel he's Star Trek's ultimate villain. That's all fine and good, but then they kept it a secret, refusing to identify the villain for ten months after he was cast and then they told us his name was John Harrison.

If the reason they chose to use Khan was because he's the Ultimate Villain and the one fans wanted to see brought into the rebooted universe the most, shouldn't they have advertised that fact? Made it well known that? Not make it the plot twist of the movie and go to the most ridiculous lengths to keep it a secret.

Hell, I suspect someone must realize this in hindsight since the blurb on the back of the Blu-ray box says the villain is Khan in the second sentence.
Old October 6 2013, 10:39 PM   #48
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Hollywood nowadays is all about the first weekend box office. And they figured that a mystery brings them more bucks in the first three days than the truth.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 10:51 PM   #49
The Wormhole
Admiral

A stupid approach, but then I should expect no better from the people who kept Lost going for six years by being mysterious.

But really, one would think you want to provide reasons in advance for people to see your movie, and then draw more in through word of mouth. Not make the main attraction a secret which no one will know until after someone's seen the movie.
Old October 8 2013, 12:39 AM   #50
austen_pierce
Captain

Opus wrote: View Post
Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
soran could have made kind of sense as:

-more intelligent/stronger than a human

-obsessed with family

-part of an escaped race in exile (due to the borg - El Aurians attacked by borg in 2265 in PT but Neros interference may have brought it forward pre STID 2259 - esp since his vessel was borgified thus maybe alerting the borg sooner)

-would possibly be around the age Cumberbatch is in 2259 (Generation Ent B opening takes place in 2293)

-BC is british and kind of looks/talks like a young Malcolm MacDowell

-responsible for killing Kirk (again)

-dresses in black jumpsuit

-ability to detect alternate realities/things arent be as they should could’ve been a fun thing for the story (see Guinan in Yesterdays Ent)
Yup. They're both Brits.

Well, I don't think it would work. No one outside Trek fans gives two shits about Star Trek: Generations.
And even those of us inside only give one and a half
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 12:45 AM   #51
austen_pierce
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
It would have worked. No one expects Soran to be revisited, hell I don't even think the novels have done anything with him
There's a reason for that. First, he's dead. Second, his backstory prior to encountering the Nexus is irrelevant. There's really nothing to explore.

Unless you wanna go alternate reality.... he DID enter the Nexus after all. Anything could have happened after that, but it's kinda also a dead end since at that point, he got what he wanted.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 01:56 AM   #52
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

It's almost like they were trying to duplicate the suspense behind rumors of Spock's death before Wrath of Khan was released 30 years ago.

And the OP somehow got me thinking of an old Irving Berlin song.

Khan: Anything you can do, I can do better. I can do anything better than you.
Kirk: No, you can't.
Khan: Yes, I can.
Khan: Yes, I can, yes, I can!
Old October 8 2013, 01:59 AM   #53
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
It's almost like they were trying to duplicate the suspense behind rumors of Spock's death before Wrath of Khan was released 30 years ago.

And the OP somehow got me thinking of an old Irving Berlin song.

Khan: Anything you can do, I can do better. I can do anything better than you.
Khan: Yes, I can, yes, I can!
Heh. Speaking of songs, every time I read the thread title, I have Copa Cabana running through my head (Her name was Lola... His Name was Rico... My Name is Soran...)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:06 AM   #54
The Wormhole
Admiral

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
It would have worked. No one expects Soran to be revisited, hell I don't even think the novels have done anything with him
There's a reason for that. First, he's dead.
So is Khan.

Second, his backstory prior to encountering the Nexus is irrelevant. There's really nothing to explore.
His backstory prior to encountering the Nexus involves the Borg. Are you really going to be surprised when they show up in the Abramsverse?
Old October 8 2013, 05:41 AM   #55
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Using Khan wasn't necessarily a mistake, the way they went about it was. So they went with Khan because they feel he's Star Trek's ultimate villain. That's all fine and good, but then they kept it a secret, refusing to identify the villain for ten months after he was cast and then they told us his name was John Harrison.

If the reason they chose to use Khan was because he's the Ultimate Villain and the one fans wanted to see brought into the rebooted universe the most, shouldn't they have advertised that fact? Made it well known that? Not make it the plot twist of the movie and go to the most ridiculous lengths to keep it a secret.
Keeping Khan a mystery and out of the marketing was the worst thing that they could have done. Every Star Trek fan -- the people already planning to see this movie -- knew that the villain was Khan long before release, but the general public -- the people who need to be convinced to see it -- knew nothing more than some random guy named John was blowing shit up. Yeah, I wouldn't have seen it either.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 08:52 AM   #56
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

If they'd really wanted to surprise us all, John Harrison could have been revealed as Harcourt Fenton Mudd. But then instead of Cumberbatch, he probably would have been Jack Black.
Old October 8 2013, 07:35 PM   #57
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

zZzZzZzZz
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 09:19 PM   #58
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
If they'd really wanted to surprise us all, John Harrison could have been revealed as Harcourt Fenton Mudd. But then instead of Cumberbatch, he probably would have been Jack Black.
"Melakon [Fenton Mudd the third]....have you been drinking again..."

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; October 9 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote