Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 5 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Your P'ah is strong!

Do Bajoran religious officials go by anything when they say somebody's p'ah is strong or are they just saying what they know will encourage the person's faith?

I mean, would a Vedek ever go up to somebody and say "ACK! Your P'ah is pathetic! Seriously, I've never seen a weaker P'ah. No wonder your orb vision was just the Prophets pointing at you and laughing. Get away from me with that wretched, awful P'ah!"
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Your P'ah is strong!

Minor nitpick it's spelt pagh.

And I doubt a Vedek would phrase it that way.. No doubt they would come up with something like. "The strength of your pagh serves the path that the prophets have laid out for you."
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

I don't remember anyone being told that someone's pagh was anything but strong. On the other hand, I would expect that one might say that someone has a trouble pagh, or an uncertain pagh. Pagh is often not something specific, but rather a tool that allowed the vedek to draw attention to something about the lay person, some problem or some strength that they had. In the pilot, Opaka use pagh to note something that Sisko must address. At the time, he was uncertain about his role and his desire to stay with Starfleet. To replenish his pagh meant to find conviction and purpose again.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Boris Skrbic
Commander

JirinPanthosa: you should search the published DS9 scripts for all references to that word, then analyze the relevant quotes.
Boris Skrbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 08:07 PM   #5
E-DUB
Captain

So's my M'ah.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 08:48 PM   #6
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

The Pagh are microscopic lifeforms that resides within all living cells and they act as symbiotes. Without the Pagh, life could not exist and they would have no knowledge of the force... wait, that's midi chlorians. Standard religious dogma maybe?
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 02:17 AM   #7
Jono
Rear Admiral

Winn did say some negative comments when she read someone's pagh. She called Sisko a disbeliever in season 1 after she did it and in season 6 when Weyoun compared him to her she read his pagh and said they were nothing alike. Not much to be read into these as picking Sisko was a disbeliever and having a dig at Weyoun doesn't take an soul/spirit reading.

Though maybe the Bajorans are weak touch telepaths and the rigours of religious lifestyle might give some Bajorans heightened abilities and that they can actually read something when they feel up a person's ear.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 02:46 AM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Jon-o'-lantern wrote: View Post
... maybe the Bajorans are weak touch telepaths ...
Possessing touch telepathy might be one of the requirements of entering a Bajorian religious order as a young person.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 05:11 AM   #9
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
It's spelled with Bajoran letters, 'pagh' is just our human latinization of the word.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 05:48 AM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
It's spelled with Bajoran letters, 'pagh' is just our human latinization of the word.
So we go from minor nitpick to moderate nitpick?
Old October 6 2013, 11:24 AM   #11
M
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Do Bajoran religious officials go by anything when they say somebody's p'ah is strong or are they just saying what they know will encourage the person's faith?
I'm quite sure it's the latter. In one episode ("In The Hands of the Prophets") Vedek Bareil even calls the whole pagh detection with fingers an "archaic ritual" and that one of his life's purposes was to break with it. So I really doubt that it was anything more than a mere superstitious practice and I'm pretty sure that there was no real in-universe science behind pagh detection – even with their gods, the prophets, being real alien entities. That's what I took from it, however.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Boris Skrbic
Commander

JirinPanthosa: you write in English, not Bajoran, and English also has an established spelling for this Bajoran term.
Old October 7 2013, 01:03 AM   #13
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

^ Does this also apply to the spelling of Klingon words?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 10:37 AM   #14
Boris Skrbic
Commander

Absolutely.