Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 28 2013, 12:17 AM   #16
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Ferangi threat

As bad as the early Ferengi were, they could have been worse. I've read that during their conception, Gene Roddenberry was obsessed with how well hung they'd be, and had to be talked out of giving them huge cod pieces....
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
As bad as the early Ferengi were, they could have been worse. I've read that during their conception, Gene Roddenberry was obsessed with how well hung they'd be, and had to be talked out of giving them huge cod pieces....
With all of the things I've read and heard about over these many years, I'm happy that Gene Roddenberry had (in those later years once he had gone wacky) very little control over Star Trek outside of those first few seasons of TNG.
Old October 2 2013, 09:01 AM   #18
MikeS
Fleet Captain

If the Feds weren't materialistic, why were they chasing a Ferengi vessel that had "STOLEN" a T-9 energy convertor?! Let them have the free energy!
Old October 2 2013, 11:25 AM   #19
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

MikeS wrote: View Post
If the Feds weren't materialistic, why were they chasing a Ferengi vessel that had "STOLEN" a T-9 energy convertor?! Let them have the free energy!
Maybe it was a Federation weapon/device they needed or was dangerous? We've also seen plenty of times where the Federation doesn't want their technology in others hands.
Old October 2 2013, 07:30 PM   #20
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

They couldn't let the Ferengi get away with it, it would set a very bad precedent. Theft is still theft.
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 07:54 PM   #21
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Indeed. I don't really buy the whole "Zek started rumours" thing. IMO it doesn't match with the still menacing and devious Ferengi we saw through the middle seasons of TNG before DS9 ensured they'd be dumbed down (while admittedly being nicely developed as a species, just not like they were at the start).

I like to think that the nice big ships we saw were the Galaxy-class explorers of the Ferengi, big, powerful and out to make contact with new worlds and civilizations - to sell and buy stuff. Their crews and Captains would be tougher, more militarized, and more aligned with a central Ferengi government (no doubt because they were paid more). They'd even wear uniforms to distinguish themselves as a unified force, some even wearing fur at the discretion of their Captains (you'll note that underneath the furry bits there were elements of the "standard" Ferengi uniform we'd come to know later).

We were catching those ships and their less merciful commanders in those early years as they expanded into contact with the Federation and company. Then, inasmuch as new worlds and new civilizations were supposed to contact a grand and awesome Galaxy-class Starship first, after everyone knew about them, those ships and their crews moved on to new territories, and we are left to deal with the smaller ships and the civilian merchant fleet.

Mark

PS - The LAZER WHIP was sorta also seen in ENT "Acquisition" where the Neelix-Ferengi guy had one. THAT one however looked more like a regular whip and not some big blue sex toy.

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 08:02 PM   #22
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
The Marauder Mo action figures Quark had were carrying those whips.

Did they take Predator figures and add Ferengi heads?

-

It's pretty funny watching early TNG whenever they mention Ferengi as if they're the Dominion or something, and then how they were revealed.

Two early TNG directors did their best to screw over the show. The director for Code of Honor pushed the racist thing with bad casting and was fired, and the director of The Last Outpost directed the Ferengi actors to jump around like monkeys. Where were the producers to keep them in check?
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 08:57 PM   #23
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

The Federation is charitable, they're not Apple Corps.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 07:25 AM   #24
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

Boy thank goodness for Christopher L. Bennett! I had always wondered about the differences in the Ferengis from TNG and Ds9 as well. That explanation makes about as much sense as possible given the silliness of that episode.
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 01:22 AM   #25
WarpFactorZ
Captain

The first mention of the Ferengi in "Encounter At Farpoint" also makes them out to be rather voracious. Picard says something about them finding their "business associates" rather tasty.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 03:15 AM   #26
Elvira
Vice Admiral

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
As bad as the early Ferengi were, they could have been worse. I've read that during their conception, Gene Roddenberry was obsessed with how well hung they'd be ...
This idea eventually evolved into the Ferengi lightning whips.

In fact, at one point the Ferengi were supposedly going to be walking around carrying their coiled up phallus.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 03:17 AM   #27
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

The early concept sketches of the Ferengi do make them look pretty vicious, but apparently the designs didn't look as threatening when converted to makeup appliances on human actors.
Old October 6 2013, 05:51 AM   #28
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
As bad as the early Ferengi were, they could have been worse. I've read that during their conception, Gene Roddenberry was obsessed with how well hung they'd be ...
This idea eventually evolved into the Ferengi lightning whips.

In fact, at one point the Ferengi were supposedly going to be walking around carrying their coiled up phallus.

That would've been... something. I don't know what I should do... groan at how horrible that might've been or laugh at the concept of Riker getting slapped in the face or spunked on by a Ferengi penis.
Old October 6 2013, 04:21 PM   #29
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

As I recall, there was a moment in "The Last Outpost" when the whips stiffened up and looked conspicuously like erect phalluses....

As for the general topic, my impression is that the early TNG Ferengi were the pirates and the DS9 Ferengi were the merchants.
Old October 7 2013, 12:51 AM   #30
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Even with the same make up and costumes, the Ferengi could have been written as maniacal and menacing. An early decision by TPTB could have been made to have the Ferengi win on occasion, this would have made them a more credible enemy. The Borg were diminished by their constant defeats at the hands of the Voyager crew.

Basically have them be the Orion Syndicate, the Orions have become puppets within their own organization..

Largely remove all aspects of humor and goofiness.

Make them less "Yankee Trader" (who there was nothing wrong with) and more the British East Indian Trading Company.

Get rid of "The Grand Naggus."

None of these suggestions would have precluded Ferengi like Quark and Nog being part of the mix.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote