Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 211 56.87%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 61 16.44%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 39 10.51%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 53 14.29%
I don't know. 7 1.89%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 5 2013, 11:15 PM   #346
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

The Prime timeline was bogged down by decades of continuity and I'm in complete agreement that it had to go in order for Star Trek to reach a larger audience. However, I'm not a fan of this wishy-washy reboot that we have going on either. This new timeline still needs to operate within the parameters of the Prime timeline by explaining how Nero's trip back in time has altered things and that seriously holds back the potential for original, new ideas. And Prime Spock, as cool as it is to see Leonard Nimoy again, is the dumbest thing that I've seen since Tom Paris broke the Warp 10 barrier.

They should have just ripped the continuity band aid right off and did a complete reboot. Yes, a few purists would have complained even more loudly than they already did, but it would have been for the best.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 11:35 PM   #347
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
And Prime Spock, as cool as it is to see Leonard Nimoy again, is the dumbest thing that I've seen since Tom Paris broke the Warp 10 barrier.
No. Not even close.

They should have just ripped the continuity band aid right off and did a complete reboot.
I agree with you there.
Old October 5 2013, 11:44 PM   #348
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

They should have just ripped the continuity band aid right off and did a complete reboot.
Yeah, I rather agree with this. But now that they've put a new generation in touch with TOS, who knows what can happen...
Old October 6 2013, 12:08 AM   #349
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
And Prime Spock, as cool as it is to see Leonard Nimoy again, is the dumbest thing that I've seen since Tom Paris broke the Warp 10 barrier.
No. Not even close.
The problem I have with Spock Prime is that he's a constant reminder that the continuity band-aid is still on the patient. He's a connection to the original Prime timeline when this new timeline most needs to stand on its own two feet and create it's own identity. Spock Prime can't continue popping up in every movie dispensing advice and influencing events when the entire point of the reboot was to remove all the continuity baggage from the Prime timeline.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 12:40 AM   #350
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

No. Not even close.
The problem I have with Spock Prime is that he's a constant reminder that the continuity band-aid is still on the patient. He's a connection to the original Prime timeline when this new timeline most needs to stand on its own two feet and create it's own identity. Spock Prime can't continue popping up in every movie dispensing advice and influencing events when the entire point of the reboot was to remove all the continuity baggage from the Prime timeline.
Count me as someone who wishes they would take off the training wheels and allow this version of these characters to stand on their own.
Old October 6 2013, 01:56 AM   #351
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'll be more worried about SpockPrime if/when he shows up in the next film. Playing an integral role in the first film and a cameo in the second doesn't strike me as a trend.

Hell, it wouldn't have made any sense for NuSpock not to ask SpockPrime if he knew Khan. Worst-case scenario, he's no worse off than he already was.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 02:15 AM   #352
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

I want the prime back.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 03:00 AM   #353
nightwind1
Commodore

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
Yep, so many of those running around, I guess we'd better just start giving them Starships. Because I would want the morons I see wandering around the neighborhood in charge of one of the most powerful weapons in existance.
Well, you're deliberately ignoring what the film tells us about Jim Kirk. A man who is considered a genius and completed the Academy in three years. Plus, we have no idea of what type of experience he gained from ages 18-22 before joining the Academy.

But none of those facts fit with your gripe...
No, no, he isn't, in fact, a moron. I know. But as long as he considers himself above everyone else, he does not deserve command. As far as i'm concerned, that's pretty much the bottom line. That and the fact that someone at Starfleet should've had enough brains to realize that before he was promoted in the first place.
Did you not read any of the previous posts?

Kirk put himself "above everyone else" many, many times in TOS, TAS and seven movies.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 05:59 PM   #354
grendelsbayne
Commander

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
No, no, he isn't, in fact, a moron. I know. But as long as he considers himself above everyone else, he does not deserve command. As far as i'm concerned, that's pretty much the bottom line. That and the fact that someone at Starfleet should've had enough brains to realize that before he was promoted in the first place.
Did you not read any of the previous posts?

Kirk put himself "above everyone else" many, many times in TOS, TAS and seven movies.
No, he didn't. Did you skip over the multiple posts about the difference between doing whatever you want just because and doing what you think is right, then willingly taking whatever consequences there may be?
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 09:09 PM   #355
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I can't say I agree with much of your post, but this much I do. Half the first movie is inevitably going to be spent introducing the new cast, but having the other half explain some tentative connection to the prime universe was more than a little lame. Especially when they could've been telling their own story. That is the whole point of a reboot, so you can do things fresh and original. I just wish we'd have seen more of it in ID.
Old October 12 2013, 04:22 PM   #356
scifib5st
Commander

Star Trek Aurora is showing what can be done with the interdiction of Prime ST with a Harry Mudd episode. With the 50th Ann. coming up, we need to get younger genn. fans involved. Look what Star Wars has done with the animated version on the cartoon network!!!
scifib5st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 06:22 PM   #357
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I'm all in favor of an animated series. And a new live action series. And more movies.

More, I've all kinds of preferences, but primarily I want to be entertained and moved. Everything else is secondary.
Old October 12 2013, 10:36 PM   #358
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Honestly I don't see the Prime Timeline coming back. I have yet to see a franchise that has a continuity reboot go back to the previous continuity.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 12:14 AM   #359
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

If the recent movies had been a failure I could maybe see it. I'd say the opposite has happened though, and to go back to the original timeline would, I think to many fans, be completely inexplicable.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 12:22 AM   #360
Harvey
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Honestly I don't see the Prime Timeline coming back. I have yet to see a franchise that has a continuity reboot go back to the previous continuity.
It looks like Universal is going to do just that with The Legend of Conan, but it's certainly pretty unusual, and I wouldn't expect it to happen with Star Trek. Conan is only going that way because (a) the studio has lured Schwarzenegger, somehow still an international star, back to the fold and (b) the reboot was a flop.

Some franchises have chosen to ignore certain sequels (the Universal Soldier series did this, apparently) but that's not quite the same thing.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote