New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 6 2013, 07:28 PM   #16
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Observer Effect

HopefulRomantic wrote: View Post
Eh, it's not as if we have soooooo many busy threads burning up the forum that we can't make room for any more.

jazzstick, starting your own running commentary thread for all the episodes is a typical way to post your thoughts. That being said, if you see a standout (positive or negative) episode and you would like to start a meatier discussion, I have no problem with you starting a separate thread for it. We have single-episode threads too.

Please have something substantive to say about the episode if you start a new thread -- you know, more than "cool" or "sux" or "Thoughts?" -- something that would launch a decent back-and-forth. Please mind the spamming rules in the FAQ and don't start a bunch of threads back to back. Also, please use the Multiquote function rather than posting several times in a row. Give other folks a chance to chime in.

"Observer Effect" is my favorite episode of Enterprise, btw. Beautifully made, standout performances and direction, lovely music, suspenseful and heartwrenching and wonderful. Bakula was sooo good here - when Archer visits Trip and fights back his emotion, when Archer and Phlox try to save Hoshi and Archer sacrifices himself so Phlox can find a cure and save his crew-- that got me all choked up. And when Archer, grieving and dying and tears in his voice, pleads with the Organians to feel compassion for the human race... omg, I absolutely adore this episode.
Gotya!

Yeah this IS an episode of Star Trek! I wish all the episodes of Enterprise where this good!
Old September 12 2013, 04:15 PM   #17
T'Parm
Captain

jazzstick wrote: View Post
Gotya!

Yeah this IS an episode of Star Trek! I wish all the episodes of Enterprise where this good!
I've always wondered how they were supose to do this, they have to churn out enough episodes each year with a limited amount of time to scripe and film each one and at the same time they are supose to create emmy winning episodes each time. Rather a tall order. I think they did a very good job with what they had.

Last edited by HopefulRomantic; September 13 2013 at 05:53 AM.
T'Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 04:38 PM   #18
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I could cite multiple episodes from the first two seasons of the show (fewer from the later two) where I don't think they did a very good job with what they had.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 05:41 PM   #19
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander

T'Parm wrote: View Post
jazzstick wrote: View Post
Gotya!

I've always wondered how they were supose to do this, they have to churn out enough episodes each year with a limited amount of time to scripe and film each one and at the same time they are supose to create emmy winning episodes each time. Rather a tall order. I think they did a very good job with what they had.

I'm sorry but "because it's hard" is not a valid excuse for putting out shitty episodes, especially when you look at the past shows. Now I know not all of them where super great episodes, but it was consistant, especialy Deep Space 9! Had the writers written the charactors with more depth, I feel it would have been a better show!

Last edited by HopefulRomantic; September 13 2013 at 05:54 AM.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 03:59 PM   #20
Yanks
Captain

This is one of my favorite Enterprise episodes.

I remember the first time I watched it. I knew the series was over at the end of 4 years, so I actually thought Hoshi bit the bullet.

So glad she didn't

This episode has always had a "TOS" feel to it.

Thought everyone did a great job acting, directing etc.

Great STAR TREK episode!
Old September 23 2013, 12:19 PM   #21
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I was going to say I AGREE, very Star Trek Yanks except looking back I see I already said it

This thread makes me want to watch it again!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:38 PM   #22
Reanok
Commodore

I really like this episode and recently saw it again and liked the Tos feel to the episode. Great acting in this show with the entire cast.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 07:15 PM   #23
Yanks
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
I was going to say I AGREE, very Star Trek Yanks except looking back I see I already said it

This thread makes me want to watch it again!
I might pull it out tonight.

I'll probably tear up again when Hoshi doesn't respond to the cardio stimulation.

Old October 2 2013, 03:40 AM   #24
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
The Organians seemed to get real mellowed out by the time Kirk and Kor battled over them in TOS: Errand of Mercy.

They didn't really seem to act like Organians to me. It felt more like the writers just grabbed a name at random without knowing anything about them. We never saw Ayelborne and his old college chums take over anyone's body.

And this was by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, they have sole writing credit, and they should have known better since they're my age.
actually I see a lot of errand of mercy here.
for one thing we have to remember this is a first encounter with humans. we have more then a hundred years before kirk comes along at a start of the war. from errand of mercy we know there had been a previous group on organia. along with some odd findings from their report spock highly disagreed with.

sorta hints that the previous group had their findings hmm changed.. tampered with.

we don't know but something might have happened to make the organians leary of entering other bodies.

ps the organian who spent most of the time in travis reminded me a lot of ayelborne.
Old October 4 2013, 02:00 AM   #25
Melakon
Rear Admiral

While my computer was sick the last few weeks (monitor died), I watched my old vhs "Errand of Mercy" a few times (until it rewound too tight and it won't load anymore). It may be I haven't watched "Observer Effect" enough to pick up on the Organian-ness of the two body hopping entities, I had trouble distinguishing which Organian was in which body the way they kept jumping around into different people. Maybe I'll be more receptive to it by the time I get to writing a review.
Old October 6 2013, 12:36 AM   #26
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

pookha wrote: View Post
from errand of mercy we know there had been a previous group on organia. along with some odd findings from their report spock highly disagreed with.
Eh?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 01:06 AM   #27
Melakon
Rear Admiral

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
pookha wrote: View Post
from errand of mercy we know there had been a previous group on organia. along with some odd findings from their report spock highly disagreed with.
Eh?
Starfleet already had some information about Organia in TOS: Errand of Mercy:

KIRK: Organia's description, Mister Spock.

SPOCK: Inhabited by humanoids. A very peaceful, friendly people living on a primitive level. Little of intrinsic value. Approximately Class D minus on Richter's scale of cultures.
And after they beam down and meet Ayelborne, Spock takes a few tricorder readings:

SPOCK: Captain, our information on these people and their culture was not correct. This is not a primitive society making progress toward mechanisation. They are totally stagnant. There is no evidence of any progress as far back as my tricorder can register.

KIRK: That doesn't seem likely.

SPOCK: Nevertheless, it is true. For tens of thousands of years, there has been absolutely no advancement, no significant change in their physical environment. This is a laboratory specimen of an arrested culture.

KIRK: Thank you, Mister Spock. That might be useful.