Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 1 2013, 11:46 PM   #61
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: USS Vengeance & Mass Destruction.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The Enterprise should have attempted everything to stop the Vengeance from crashing on Earth for one simple reason: antimatter. They just got lucky that it didn't ignite.
I've always wondered why Voyager also didn't immediately blow up upon crashing in "Timeless" either, since six of her lowermost decks were said to have been compacted into one upon said crash landing, meaning the warpcore would have been completely destroyed.
Well Voyager was built to land on planets. Might be that those decks have been constructed with extra reinforcements.
Even so, crushing those decks would've busted the containment systems in the anti-matter storage pods and the warp core.

I think the writers just forget that the ship uses anti-matter and would turn into a bomb if it crashed.
Old October 2 2013, 12:03 AM   #62
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Maybe someone in Engineering was able to eject the core before the ship hit the planet. Granted that's the kind of thing that it would be nice to have seen, but...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:06 AM   #63
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
Maybe someone in Engineering was able to eject the core before the ship hit the planet. Granted that's the kind of thing that it would be nice to have seen, but...
Why would Khanone eject the core when he wants to destroy Starfleet Headquarters?

Funny is that also nobody aboard the Enterprise tried to eject the core/antimatter. Instead they were only concerned with restarting the core. If Kirk had failed, and the antimatter ignited, potentially millions of deaths.

Yeah, the writers indeed completely forget what kind of fuel the ships use, in all incarnations of Trek.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 07:55 AM   #64
Saul
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
Khan444 wrote: View Post
Superman saved the human race from annihilation and was ready to come out in the open (hence Lois saying "welcome to the planet"). The Enterprise defeated Khan, Admiral Marcus was dead, and there is renewed optimism for the future. How did the heroes lose exactly?
So thousands of people die and this is our heroes winning?
If the alternative is millions dying in a war? Then I'd say yes.
Anything could be an 'if' though. If Khan escaped and continued his Eugenic War. If War with the Klingons started etc. Where do we draw the line? A whole planet was destroyed in the first movie. Just because Earth wasn't destroyed does it make it better? Khan's final goal in STID was to crash the ship and he was pretty successful at doing that. He won that round. Khan's final goal in TWOK was to destroy the Enterprise and her crew. He failed.
Old October 5 2013, 09:42 PM   #65
publiusr
Commodore

This could all be touched on in the next movie. I might make the crash the basis of a new "Back to Earth Movement," the rise of the pacifist block, and Kirk has to ignore them to deal with another threat.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote