Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 5 2013, 03:05 AM   #76
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile
Re: NuTrek references in the novels

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post

At least I guess we should be thankful that there were no pointless sex changes of the characters like they did with nuBSG.
With all due respect to Dirk Benedict, I'll take Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck anyday!
A-MEN!

Except with a TINY bit less respect to Dirk Benedict than you're giving him.
Old October 5 2013, 03:27 AM   #77
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

At least I guess we should be thankful that there were no pointless sex changes of the characters like they did with nuBSG.
With all due respect to Dirk Benedict, I'll take Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck anyday!
Considering that I was in high school when Battlestar Galactica was on TV and had a poster of Dirk Benedict on my bedroom wall, I think it's understandable that we disagree on the actors. But my point is that there was no point to the sex changes between original BSG and nuBSG.

At least nuTrek didn't make Uhura male and McCoy female, for example.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 04:06 AM   #78
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Considering that I was in high school when Battlestar Galactica was on TV and had a poster of Dirk Benedict on my bedroom wall, I think it's understandable that we disagree on the actors. But my point is that there was no point to the sex changes between original BSG and nuBSG..
But as long as it works, what difference does it make? NuStarbuck was a great character in her own right. Who cares if the old version was a man? That was then; this is now. Ditto for turning Boomer into a woman. Didn't hurt the show at all.

None of this stuff is sacred or untouchable. I mean, look at ELEMENTARY. They made Dr. Watson an Asian-American woman and it works just fine. Fidelity to the original source is hardly mandatory, as long as you can reinvent the stories and characters in an engaging way.

(Oh, just to date myself, I was in college when the first BSG debuted and I had a poster of Boris Karloff in my dorm room. Not quite the same thing as Dirk Benedict, I admit!)
Old October 5 2013, 04:21 AM   #79
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Since we're sharing.

I was in my freshman year of college and my walls had posters of the Beatles, Star Wars (the cool one by Hildebrandt) and Linda Ronstadt. The door had one of James T. Kirk. (door sized). BSG? Perish the thought.
Old October 5 2013, 04:32 AM   #80
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Masiral wrote: View Post
Yeah, I could live with a warning like that. As for "trace amounts" of crossover or "reimagined" stuff... I feel the same way when I see nuDune nonsense inserted into a story that claims to be Dune.

Write all the nuTrek books you want. Just don't try to pass them off as real Trek, and keep cross-contamination out of it. The nuTrek fans will be happy with the book and the people who loathe nuTrek can safely ignore it. After all, it doesn't help when a reader sees some mention of a nuTrek detail of a character's life in a TOS book and mutters, "WTF!!! This author doesn't know what he/she's talking about!" when it doesn't match real Trek details.
How would you know that something is a nuTrek detail if you loathe nuTrek, and therefore, presumably, have not seen nuTrek?
You think I would love it if only I'd watch it?

I saw the 2009 movie when it came on TV. Yes, I loathed it. Most of the actors come across like plastic models. Wesley - I mean Chekov - is ridiculous. McCoy (the actor looks like a dead ringer for the actor who played Gary Mitchell, btw), running around, jamming hypos into Kirk every chance he gets? It was probably supposed to be funny, but it just seemed stupid. The list of what I hate about it goes on and on.

Yeah, I'll watch STID - when I can see it for free, since I don't think it's worth spending money on. After all, if I'm going to complain about it, I should know what there is to complain about. From what I've seen here, it's full of pointless explosions, and they've ripped off a lot of TWoK (thereby showing that they don't seem able to come up with any original plots). Oh, and nuCarol really needs to eat a sandwich or a dozen. From the photos posted here, she looks anorexic.

I knew that.

If you mix the two indiscriminately, you confuse the readers who are unfamiliar with what they haven't seen.

Yeah, I've read that book several times. I never saw "Here Come the Brides" and had actually never heard of it before reading the book. So that part wasn't what annoyed me. It was the Doctor Who reference (the race who live in the "constellation of Kasterborus", aka the Gallifreyans) that annoyed me, since the in-universe physics and Earth history of Doctor Who and Star Trek are completely incompatible.

I enjoyed this novel. But remember that at the end of the story, everything was reset to the proper timeline.

Okay, Best Destiny...

In the past, some forty-five years earlier, the reader is introduced to a young Jimmy Kirk. At 16 years old, he embodies every parent's worst fears: he is brash, rebellious, impulsive, cocky, and reckless. He is first seen leading a group of similarly rebellious (and criminal) youths on a barely-considered scheme to "escape" from Iowa, sign onto an ocean-going freight vessel as underage deckhands (itself illegal), and make their fortune somewhere in South America. Even at this young age, it is clear that Jimmy is a leader, but he is completely directionless. His father's long absences on Starfleet assignments and his own experiences on Tarsus IV have made him angry and violent, as well as impatient for the right to make his own decisions and live his own life.

....Although Jimmy displays his usual rudeness and lack of respect for authority on the trip up from the Earth's surface,... even Jimmy is impressed by his first view of Enterprise.
Damn it!

Anyone have a list of books they used? Cause I'm seeing a lot of old Trek contaminating Nu-Trek.
I've gone on record on this forum as stating that (in my opinion, of course) basically everything Diane Carey has written is written badly, and I really don't like it.
Point is, like the sources of not, they put in the effort to build the reboots on the foundations of Trek's past and didn't just limit themselves to the movies and TV shows. You can argue with the presentation, but the heart was there in the effort.

As for STID being a TWOK rip off: Anyone that has seen the movie and says that with a straight face is just bitching to bitch. Khan, and his backstory, and one scene aside, the movie is its own story not a remake of TWOK or Space Seed.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 04:39 AM   #81
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

It's story elements owe a lot more to "Space Seed" than TWOK. (But it's still not a remake of either)
Old October 5 2013, 05:11 AM   #82
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Additionally it would hardly be the first movie to pay homage to a predecessor.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 06:12 AM   #83
Harvey
Admiral

Does that mean I don't get to complain about Star Trek III: The Search for Spock ripping of a whole scene of dialogue from "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" in this thread?

Nuts.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 06:45 AM   #84
Masiral
Commander

Yeah, I could live with a warning like that. As for "trace amounts" of crossover or "reimagined" stuff... I feel the same way when I see nuDune nonsense inserted into a story that claims to be Dune.

Write all the nuTrek books you want. Just don't try to pass them off as real Trek, and keep cross-contamination out of it. The nuTrek fans will be happy with the book and the people who loathe nuTrek can safely ignore it. After all, it doesn't help when a reader sees some mention of a nuTrek detail of a character's life in a TOS book and mutters, "WTF!!! This author doesn't know what he/she's talking about!" when it doesn't match real Trek details.
How would you know that something is a nuTrek detail if you loathe nuTrek, and therefore, presumably, have not seen nuTrek?
That is not what I meant (or said) at all. You mentioned that you loathed nuTrek, so I wondering why you would know details and be able to recognize them if they showed up in other novels?
Masiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 07:27 AM   #85
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

Wow I realize I'm new to the Trek books but I had no idea this was an event yet to come. I guess I just assumed it as something that had already happened and I haven't gotten far enough in my reading to see it referenced. So in two (story) years the following will be true:

-The Federation is still reeling from the Borg
-Martok seems to be hanging onto the Empire by a thread
-Cardassia is still in ruins
-Romulus will be destroyed
-The Andorians are marching towards extinction

Goodness by 2387 is there any group left doing OK?

Last edited by Slyvon; October 5 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 10:24 AM   #86
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Timewalker wrote:
Yeah, I've read that book several times. I never saw "Here Come the Brides" and had actually never heard of it before reading the book. So that part wasn't what annoyed me. It was the Doctor Who reference (the race who live in the "constellation of Kasterborus", aka the Gallifreyans) that annoyed me, since the in-universe physics and Earth history of Doctor Who and Star Trek are completely incompatible.
It annoyed you, but was it enough to ruin the novel for you and wish you'd never bought it? It was an extremely minor part of the book. And what about the Star Wars and (original) BSG references in that novel? I suspect that, like me, you never even noticed them. Here is the full list:
Several other television characters appear throughout the book. In San Francisco, Spock plays chess with a gunfighter dressed in black who matches the description of Richard Boone's character Paladin in the TV series Have Gun Will Travel (pages 180-182). Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry is credited for writing 24 episodes of this series.

The British TV series Doctor Who is referenced at least four times: the Fourth Doctor is described on page 13,Metebelis crystals from the serials The Green Death and Planet of the Spiders are mentioned on page 57, the Second Doctor is described on page 154, and Kirk recalls legends of a planet of stagnant time-travellers in the Kasteroborous galaxy on page 200.

Numerous other Western and science fiction characters make cameo appearances throughout the book. Page 13 features Han Solo ("a scruffy-looking spice smuggler") from Star Wars as well as Apollo and Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica ("a pair of brown-uniformed pilots from some down-at-the-heels migrant fleet"). Pages 153-154 feature Little Joe Cartwright and his brother Hoss Cartwright from Bonanza ("a good-looking boy in the dusty clothes of a trailhand just in from Virginia City, and his oxlike older brother") and Bret or Bart Maverick from Maverick. Emperor Norton and his dogs also appear. Matt Dillon (Gunsmoke), Lucas McCain (The Rifleman), The Rawhide Kid (Rawhide), and the Man With No Name also make appearances.
http://fanlore.org/wiki/Ishmael

And by that same token, how do you feel when places or people from Deep Space Nine or Enterprise are referenced in TOS novels?
Old October 5 2013, 11:14 AM   #87
Timewalker

That is not what I meant (or said) at all. You mentioned that you loathed nuTrek, so I wondering why you would know details and be able to recognize them if they showed up in other novels?
Why would you assume I wouldn't recognize it even if I loathed it? It's like saying that because I loathe nuDune, I wouldn't be able to recognize elements of it if it showed up in other novels (yes, I've read every one of those abominable books).

Besides... this forum is full of spoilers all over the place. Since I mainly post in the Trek areas, it's impossible to avoid seeing details of nuTrek. I knew quite a few details of the 2009 movie long before ever seeing it, and it lived down to my expectations and beyond. Why should I assume (from the spoilers and discussion I've seen here) that the second movie would be any better? Have the actors actually learned how to act in the meantime? Is Wesley/Chekov any less annoying? Have they fixed the rest of what was crap about the first movie?

Didn't think so.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote:
It annoyed you, but was it enough to ruin the novel for you and wish you'd never bought it? It was an extremely minor part of the book. And what about the Star Wars and (original) BSG references in that novel? I suspect that, like me, you never even noticed them. Here is the full list:
Several other television characters appear throughout the book. In San Francisco, Spock plays chess with a gunfighter dressed in black who matches the description of Richard Boone's character Paladin in the TV series Have Gun Will Travel (pages 180-182). Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry is credited for writing 24 episodes of this series.

The British TV series Doctor Who is referenced at least four times: the Fourth Doctor is described on page 13,Metebelis crystals from the serials The Green Death and Planet of the Spiders are mentioned on page 57, the Second Doctor is described on page 154, and Kirk recalls legends of a planet of stagnant time-travellers in the Kasteroborous galaxy on page 200.

Numerous other Western and science fiction characters make cameo appearances throughout the book. Page 13 features Han Solo ("a scruffy-looking spice smuggler") from Star Wars as well as Apollo and Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica ("a pair of brown-uniformed pilots from some down-at-the-heels migrant fleet"). Pages 153-154 feature Little Joe Cartwright and his brother Hoss Cartwright from Bonanza ("a good-looking boy in the dusty clothes of a trailhand just in from Virginia City, and his oxlike older brother") and Bret or Bart Maverick from Maverick. Emperor Norton and his dogs also appear. Matt Dillon (Gunsmoke), Lucas McCain (The Rifleman), The Rawhide Kid (Rawhide), and the Man With No Name also make appearances.

And by that same token, how do you feel when places or people from Deep Space Nine or Enterprise are referenced in TOS novels?
The Doctor Who references jumped out at me because I know Classic Whovian history and Star Trek history (in-universe) are 100% incompatible with each other. They don't belong in a pro novel unless it's upfront that the work is a crossover.

As for the various westerns... I've seen a lot of Bonanza episodes, the SW and BSG references slipped my mind (I'll have to re-read this novel, obviously), and other than a few Gunsmoke episodes, I never saw those other shows. We had a grand total of 1 or 2 channels when I was growing up and those shows were new, so I never did have the chance to see them.

It seems like you're describing the novel version of a Mel Brooks movie, when you don't recognize most of the in-jokes.

It would be bizarre to see DS9 references in a TOS novel (unless the novel were taking place late in Spock's life) since none of those episodes happened throughout most of the TOS time.

References to Enterprise annoy me, since I don't acknowledge that series' validity as real Star Trek, either. It's just too out of step to have been what leads up to TOS.

Old October 5 2013, 08:27 PM   #88
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Why would you assume I wouldn't recognize it even if I loathed it? It's like saying that because I loathe nuDune, I wouldn't be able to recognize elements of it if it showed up in other novels (yes, I've read every one of those abominable books).

Besides... this forum is full of spoilers all over the place. Since I mainly post in the Trek areas, it's impossible to avoid seeing details of nuTrek. I knew quite a few details of the 2009 movie long before ever seeing it, and it lived down to my expectations and beyond. Why should I assume (from the spoilers and discussion I've seen here) that the second movie would be any better? Have the actors actually learned how to act in the meantime? Is Wesley/Chekov any less annoying? Have they fixed the rest of what was crap about the first movie?

Didn't think so.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

The Doctor Who references jumped out at me because I know Classic Whovian history and Star Trek history (in-universe) are 100% incompatible with each other. They don't belong in a pro novel unless it's upfront that the work is a crossover.

As for the various westerns... I've seen a lot of Bonanza episodes, the SW and BSG references slipped my mind (I'll have to re-read this novel, obviously), and other than a few Gunsmoke episodes, I never saw those other shows. We had a grand total of 1 or 2 channels when I was growing up and those shows were new, so I never did have the chance to see them.

It seems like you're describing the novel version of a Mel Brooks movie, when you don't recognize most of the in-jokes.

It would be bizarre to see DS9 references in a TOS novel (unless the novel were taking place late in Spock's life) since none of those episodes happened throughout most of the TOS time.

References to Enterprise annoy me, since I don't acknowledge that series' validity as real Star Trek, either. It's just too out of step to have been what leads up to TOS.
So your list of "true Trek" must be incredibly short, then. At that point, one might ask, why bother with Trek at all (particularly since the overwhelming majority of Trek, in its various iterations, seems to leave you in anguish rather than amusement)?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 08:38 PM   #89
Christopher
Writer

Heck, much of TOS was "out of step" with other parts of TOS, since they were making it up as they went. Are they 200 years in the future or 700? Are they Vulcanians or Vulcans? Do they answer to UESPA, Space Central, or Star Fleet? Is Benecia pronounced "Be-nee-see-ya" or "Ben-uh-see-ya?" And the earliest movies were "out of step" with TOS as well -- the Klingons looked different, no recognizable technology or uniforms remained, Khan's people were no longer multiethnic, etc.

Fictional series reinvent their details as they go. It's just part of the process of refinement. You can find many contradictions within any single Trek series, so to treat the contradictions between different series as dealbreakers is a double standard.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 10:23 PM   #90
Timewalker

Ovation wrote: View Post
So your list of "true Trek" must be incredibly short, then. At that point, one might ask, why bother with Trek at all (particularly since the overwhelming majority of Trek, in its various iterations, seems to leave you in anguish rather than amusement)?
TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, plus the TOS movies 1-4, and 6. Add in the assorted novels, short stories, and fanfic based on these. I don't accept Star Trek V as "real" due to the nonsense of Sybok being the offspring of Sarek and a Vulcan "princess." I've already stated my reasons for not accepting Enterprise. I have a love/hate of First Contact - love, because the music is great, and I really like the character of Lily. Hate, because they butchered the character of Zefram Cochrane. I can't stand the rest of the TNG movies (yes, I've seen all of them).

So that actually gives me a lot of Trek to enjoy, and I am free to ignore the rest.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Heck, much of TOS was "out of step" with other parts of TOS, since they were making it up as they went. Are they 200 years in the future or 700? Are they Vulcanians or Vulcans? Do they answer to UESPA, Space Central, or Star Fleet? Is Benecia pronounced "Be-nee-see-ya" or "Ben-uh-see-ya?" And the earliest movies were "out of step" with TOS as well -- the Klingons looked different, no recognizable technology or uniforms remained, Khan's people were no longer multiethnic, etc.

Fictional series reinvent their details as they go. It's just part of the process of refinement. You can find many contradictions within any single Trek series, so to treat the contradictions between different series as dealbreakers is a double standard.
Your sarcasm is noted. I'm still not in agreement with you on the issues that led to my preference not to read your posts, but to say I have a double standard just because of inconsistencies within TOS itself is nonsense. I don't have to agree with you, and you will never convince me to like the nuTrek crap. Only Abrams et. al could convince me to like it if they would actually make a good movie. So far they haven't (in my opinion, of course).