TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 5 2013, 06:44 PM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Seasons 1 & 2.

RandyS wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
The music is next to terrible. It is grand and optimistic and every scene feels like a trumpet before a king enters his court.
That is hilarious. I never thought of it that way before.
Well, that's because it isn't true. In the first couple seasons the music was good. It was only later when Rick Berman's "sonic wallpaper" took hold that it became bland and boring with only occasional moments of good stuff.
I think the bland lighting and terrible music that took hold once Berman was solidly in control really hurt Modern Trek.
Old October 5 2013, 06:49 PM   #32
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

To be honest, there is not a season of the franchise that I do not enjoy. Seasons 1 & 2 for me, are too simplistic like TOS, I feel come season 3 TNG realised it could be deeper and began to benefit from that. Once it branched off on its own it thrived.

Seasons 1 & 2 have a bunch of interesting, fun episodes and EVERY show has its 'finding its legs' period.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 07:30 PM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think the bland lighting and terrible music that took hold once Berman was solidly in control really hurt Modern Trek.
Berman also dictated a shooting and editing style that was pretty conservative, too.

Rene Auberjonois wrote:
With Star Trek there was a specific style of shooting. Rick's approach to directing Star Trek was much more classical. You never cut on a moving shot. You had to have the right amount of close ups, medium shots and reverses. You had to tell the story, and directing Star Trek really taught me a lot about the basics of film making.

(Star Trek Magazine, No. 35, July/Aug 2011)
Compare the franchise to the shooting and editing styles being tried on Miami Vice ('84), Homicide: Life on the Street ('93) or The West Wing ('99) and you'll see what I mean.

Heck, compare the series to the look of Star Trek ('66) and you'll see what I mean.

By the time Berman was willing to take any aesthetic chances (on Enterprise) the franchise was way behind the curve.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 08:30 PM   #34
Makarov
Captain

I like how the early seasons are different, just so that I can look and say, oh that's an early season episode. It's a bit harder to do that with the later seasons. Also, Time Squared and Elementary Dear Data are awesome.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 09:05 PM   #35
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Makarov wrote: View Post
Well, that's because it isn't true. In the first couple seasons the music was good. It was only later when Rick Berman's "sonic wallpaper" took hold that it became bland and boring with only occasional moments of good stuff.
You're right, of course. I was thinking in more of a "stereotypical" way, because it is easy to envision those "trumpet" moments, such as a few highlights of the Farpoint chase with the Q grid.

I particularly remember the music in Datalore, when they searched the planet and the underground lab complex. Really good stuff, which I still remember even not having seen the episode in about 20 years!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 11:20 PM   #36
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Berman also dictated a shooting and editing style that was pretty conservative, too.

Rene Auberjonois wrote:
With Star Trek there was a specific style of shooting. Rick's approach to directing Star Trek was much more classical. You never cut on a moving shot. You had to have the right amount of close ups, medium shots and reverses. You had to tell the story, and directing Star Trek really taught me a lot about the basics of film making.

(Star Trek Magazine, No. 35, July/Aug 2011)
Compare the franchise to the shooting and editing styles being tried on Miami Vice ('84), Homicide: Life on the Street ('93) or The West Wing ('99) and you'll see what I mean.

Heck, compare the series to the look of Star Trek ('66) and you'll see what I mean.

By the time Berman was willing to take any aesthetic chances (on Enterprise) the franchise was way behind the curve.
You're absolutely right. Trek definitely wasn't a trend setter the second time around.
Old October 5 2013, 11:59 PM   #37
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Firing Ron Jones was one of the worst mistakes Rick Berman made. Many of the later episodes in all the series had some of the blandest crap music I've ever heard on television.
Old October 6 2013, 01:20 AM   #38
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Somebody above mentioned "Time Squared", and while I don't consider it that great an episode, it did remind me of something about Season 2. It seemed to me that Season 2 had more episodes that captured that elusive feeling of the ship being out there alone on the frontier that most of TNG was lacking.
Old October 6 2013, 05:47 PM   #39
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
Firing Ron Jones was one of the worst mistakes Rick Berman made. Many of the later episodes in all the series had some of the blandest crap music I've ever heard on television.
Yeah... just imagine Best of Both Worlds with the bland Berman danger music instead of that epic score Jones did.