Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 19 2013, 11:18 PM   #16
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Seasons 1 & 2.

I've never seen so much support for the S1 episodes where Wesley is smarter than everybody and everybody who isn't a Starfleet officer has cultural beliefs that lead to arbitrarily killing people.

It's true, We'll Always Have Paris doesn't belong on that list. Not like...Angel One, When The Bough Breaks, Too Short A Season.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 11:59 PM   #17
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

The one that sticks out to me as a least favorite episode in these seasons is "The Icarus Factor"...pure soap opera, not just the story content, but the execution as well. Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Stardates of Our Lives....

"Too Short a Season" would also be on my list of 5 least favorite TNG episodes from all seasons.

OTOH, if I were making a list of top 10 TNG episodes, "The Measure of a Man" might be the earliest one on the list chronologically.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 01:44 PM   #18
Chensams
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I know this is such a minor thing, but I wonder if the crew had the Season 3 and beyond uniforms in Seasons 1 and 2, if those seasons would have been better. There are some classic episodes in both those seasons, worthy to be called some of the best that TNG had to offer.
I really think that is somewhat part of it, or at least for me. I was 17 when TNG premiered and watched half of the premiere and turned it off (captain is too old, no vulcans, WTF is up with the skirts on dudes). Later in college, I started watching season 3 and fell in love. I watched all of S1 and S2 on reruns and found the outfits and production a little jarring.

I've recently rewatched the entire series and was pleasantly surprised how the first 2 seasons really weren't as bad as I remembered.
Old September 20 2013, 02:20 PM   #19
Trek Survivor
Captain

I have long been a huge supporter of season 2 here on the forums. I feel it is often bundled in with the not-as-good season 1 (but even in that season I find a lot to like).

Season 2 had many gems and not just "Q Who" and "Measure of a Man".
I love "A Matter of Honour", "Peak Performance", "Time Squared", "Contagion", "Elementary Dear Data"...

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I prefer the feel of the early seasons to the later ones, if not the individual stories.
Yes, I agree. Though season 3 onward are clearly very well produced, there was some feeling of "not trying as hard" when I watch them. Hard to describe. Almost as if they knew the show was a hit so took the foot off the pedal a bit. Maybe not. Maybe they just hit a stride.

But I like the feel in season 1 and 2 where it's still a show trying REALLY hard.

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
OTOH, if I were making a list of top 10 TNG episodes, "The Measure of a Man" might be the earliest one on the list chronologically.
I think I agree, though "A Matter of Honour" comes very close to me. Remember when I first saw this one - absolutely loved it!
Old September 20 2013, 06:30 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I prefer the feel of the early seasons to the later ones, if not the individual stories.
There is something about the way they lit the later seasons that gave the sets a very cheap feel even though everyone knows they spent a ton of money on them.
Old September 20 2013, 07:39 PM   #21
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Yeah. I think the amber gels in the first/second seasons somehow gave it more warmth. TOS's work with varying light colors kind of did the same thing.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 12:09 AM   #22
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
I think I agree, though "A Matter of Honour" comes very close to me. Remember when I first saw this one - absolutely loved it!
I'd thought of adding that "A Matter of Honor" (Made in America, dammit! ) would have been under consideration for that list, but figured that I'd be able to find 9 other episodes that were better. Definitely one of the better Season 2 episodes.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 05:43 AM   #23
MickStrange
Cadet

Here's the thing, the actors became more secure in their roles and the writers better understood their style and direction after season 2, but, I saw TNG before TOS, it was those first two seasons that got me hooked on the entire universe. I felt that writers especially were really willing to take some risks, making even the crappy ones at least interesting. It was a beautiful blend between the two views of space from TOS to TNG. Space was still a magical place where philosophy is explored through universal settings but the hard science of Data and Geordie were quick to follow.
MickStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 01:55 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

MickStrange wrote: View Post
...the hard science of Data and Geordie were quick to follow.
There is very little hard science in any version of Star Trek.
Old September 23 2013, 03:34 PM   #25
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I think he meant "technobabble."
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:38 AM   #26
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

I didn't like how happy everyone is and how fast the crew bonded in the first season. The music is next to terrible. It is grand and optimistic and every scene feels like a trumpet before a king enters his court.

The second season ditched the bad music and the happy faces all the time. There was actual exploring going on. REAL strange, new worlds. Pulaski is my favorite doctor outside of Bones, and I really enjoyed her scenes (especially with Data). It built his character. There weren't cheesy story lines with Wesley as there was in the first season. "The Measure of a Man" and "Q Who?" remain greatly written episodes. The only season finale I hate, Shades of Gray doesn't do justice to the performances they had throughout that year. Season 2 is my 4th favorite season and it's a big distance between 4 and 5.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 10:13 AM   #27
IPTC
Cadet

Gojira wrote: View Post
I am working my way through all of TNG on DVD (after watching TOS) and I know some complain that the first two seasons are not the best. But I have found that they really are not that bad and do not deserve the bad rap they often get. I have found many episodes that I really enjoy.
I agree. Season 1 did get a bit cheesy sometimes but they still were trying to gather what TNG will be.

Season 2 is where they started to go off the charts.
IPTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 05:54 AM   #28
CrazyMatt
Commander

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
I don't think they're terrible...it's just that in Season 3, the show really hits its stride. Season 2 in particular has a lot of good stuff. Season 1 can be pretty spotty.
Exactly... Season 2 is where TNG became interesting. Season 1 suffers too much from the influence of GR's idealism, which drown out a lot of the drama (and could be overly preachy).

Season 2 kept TNG on the air... then Season 3 made it "Can't miss TV."
Old October 5 2013, 06:33 AM   #29
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
The music is next to terrible. It is grand and optimistic and every scene feels like a trumpet before a king enters his court.
That is hilarious. I never thought of it that way before.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 03:11 PM   #30
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
The music is next to terrible. It is grand and optimistic and every scene feels like a trumpet before a king enters his court.
That is hilarious. I never thought of it that way before.
Well, that's because it isn't true. In the first couple seasons the music was good. It was only later when Rick Berman's "sonic wallpaper" took hold that it became bland and boring with only occasional moments of good stuff.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote