Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I wonder how much longer this thing will go on. Will we not hear any Fantastic Four news from FOX for several months, then Marvel just happens to announce in an offhand remark that they got back the Fantastic Four film rights two years from now?

Or will FOX just barely make it and get the movie made and released on time? This behind the scenes production news is becoming more interesting than the movie itself! :lol:

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing with "Daredevil" happened because there was a deadline in place that Fox didn't meet. I do not believe that is the case with FF. They can push back the release date if they get the script to where they and Trank want it.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming all the Marvel character film rights have expiration dates when they revert if a studio doesn't make a movie in time.

Why would the Fantastic Four be exempt from this? It is not much of a deal for Marvel if they sold off the film rights to one of their characters or teams to a studio forever.

As long as we get a good Fantastic Four movie, I don't care if it was made by FOX or Marvel Studios.

4. Admiral_Young

I never said the FF film rights were exempt from that rule...I said I wasn't aware of a deadline being in place similar to the one Fox didn't meet with "Daredevil".

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

What do you mean by "deadline similar"? Do you agree there's a deadline where a movie has to be made by or do you think the rights were given permanently?

6. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would think that the time limit on these Fox licenses are the same for each property. Daredevil was released in 2003, and the rights reverted in 2013. The most recent Fantastic Four movie was 2007, so I would think that Fox has until 2017 to get something done. Just my speculation; and 10 years is a nice round number you would expect in a contract.

7. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

^ I doubt it's as simple as that. Blade, Punisher, and Ghost Rider also reverted back to Marvel within the last year or so, and the last movies in those franchises were in 2004, 2008, and 2011, respectively.

8. Admiral_Young

I mean that "Daredevil" had a deadline set as was reported that Fox had to meet before the rights reverted back to Marvel Studios. Remember the so-called trade talks? All that nonsense? Joe Carnahan's last ditch effort to pitch a film. All of that was before the deadline (which I believe was October last year). I'm saying that I don't believe that "Fantastic Four" has such a deadline imposed right now. Or at least if there is one...no one has reported one like with "Daredevil".

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I would imagine it has one, it's just not close enough to being missed for it to be bandied about. (IE: No reason to mention it, if things are on target for getting a movie out before it hits, or if it's more than 3 years away)

They likely all have it written into their contract that "If X number of years go by without a movie being made, Rights revert back"

10. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Also worth considering: in 1994, the Roger Corman F4 movie was made to keep the rights from reverting back to Marvel. After that, 11 years passed before the next F4 movie, and the rights remained with Fox for all that time.

While I'm sure there's a deadline, I don't think the timespan is the same for all Marvel properties at Fox and other studios, and I think it might depend on whether a new movie is in active development.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Corman movie was not for Fox, but for Bernd Eichinger's Neue Constantin, later renamed Constantin Film. Avi Arad was unsatisfied with it and literally paid them not to release it. But Eichinger continued negotiating for the chance to make the movie, and that's apparently how he held onto the rights, eventually co-producing the 2005-7 films with Fox.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

:guffaw:

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You know, I honestly don't think the 94 movie is *that* bad. I mean, sure, it has a LOT of flaws but there is some merit in what it tried to do.

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The Corman movie captured more of the spirit of the FF than the big-budget one did.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

If he can act in a serious role, I'd have no problem with it. I don't think he'd be LES Jewish, but the socioeconomic background that gave rise to Ben Grimm probably doesn't exist in a modern New York and could use a bit of an update.

18. Christopher

Wouldn't it be wild if the Fantastic Four movie cast ended up with black actors as Ben, Johnny, and Sue -- not by design, but just as a fluke of colorblind casting? Heck, now that I think about it, Phil Morris could make a good Reed Richards... :)

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be pretty cool. I don't see any reason why they couldn't be.

20. Christopher

Technically we've already had a Japanese Reed Richards: Hiro Kanagawa did his voice in the 2006 animated series.