TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 4 2013, 10:22 PM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: USA and UK surviving into the Trek era

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
The implication is pretty clear, that nearly all of the countries today still exist, with their current names intact and a certain individuality.

The borders exist out of nostalgia and probably aren't remotely enforced or given much thought.
I think it's pretty much this.

Nations have been pretty much reduced to local townships, IMO.
Old October 4 2013, 10:44 PM   #17
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

I think some of you are overthinking this and missing the point.

Picard is from 'France' as is stated in the show....however that does not mean 'France' in the modern sense. It is simply a region, a geographical area. NOT an independent, autonomous body.

As David.Blue rightly says, many areas still exist and are referred to....but they are no longer part of the old body. For example, Bavaria was once a Kingdom....now it is merely a province.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 12:07 AM   #18
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post
. . .Picard is from 'France' as is stated in the show....however that does not mean 'France' in the modern sense. It is simply a region, a geographical area. NOT an independent, autonomous body. . .
This is how I've always interpreted it, since the TOS days. The names are just easy to use descriptive references for the characters (and us) regarding former political boundaries within the one-world government.
Old October 5 2013, 12:12 AM   #19
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Not much can be read from toponyms: they get recycled and reused. Consider the following:

The Roman town of Londonum collapsed entirely, but was refounded in the 9th century. There is no continuity between Londonum and modern London

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is not a nation dominated by the Massachusett Indians. Nor is Iowa dominaed by the Ioway.

Some names describe dominant geological features that would likely remain regardless of the political situation: Mississippi and Missouri, Rhineland.

Some names will fall into disuse, even if a continuity can be drawn between regimes, like Zaire.

ETA: many European cities have a "street of the Jews" where, in fact, no Jews live. It merely memorializes the location of the ghetto.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 03:07 AM   #20
oddsigve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
oddsigve wrote: View Post
Sorry for nitpicking, but the continent is not called Australia. It`s called Oceania.
Sorry for counter-nitpicking, but the continent on which the country of Australia lies is called... Australia.

Oceania is a REGION that contains the continent of Australia and many surrounding island.
You`re right, thanks for clearing that up for me and I apologize to T`girl for false nitpicking
Old October 5 2013, 03:17 AM   #21
oddsigve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
oddsigve wrote: View Post
Sorry for nitpicking, but the continent is not called Australia. It`s called Oceania.
Sorry for counter-nitpicking, but the continent on which the country of Australia lies is called... Australia.

Oceania is a REGION that contains the continent of Australia and many surrounding island.
You`re right, thanks for clearing that up for me and I apologize to T`girl for false nitpicking
Old October 5 2013, 11:23 AM   #22
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I tend to think that old countries retain some trappings of their old cultural identities even though there is a unified government.

Also I get the impression that the government is more a providing and protective entity than a constant restrictive force in people's lives.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I tend to think that old countries retain some trappings of their old cultural identities even though there is a unified government.
If you grew up in an old French village, with medieval French churches, Baroque French houses and town hall, where bakers still make the traditional bread, brewers the traditional beer, and vinters the traditional wine, you might have some notion of what being French means. Certainly, not all aspects of cultural identity are created by and enforced from up top, but are drawn from local culture.

However, that doesn't mean the being French in the 24th century is the same thing as it does today, or that it did in the 17th century. There is a greater degree of homogeneity today than their used to be, and I suspect there will be less in the future.
Old October 5 2013, 01:27 PM   #24
TheSubCommander
Captain

My take is countries do exist, but all of them gave up a certain amount of sovereignty for a world-wide government. In essence, you have the "United States of Earth," of sorts, and each nation is a state within the central world government.

So, it makes sense to me that two nations that so shaped world history still exist, just as Russia, France, Japan, and Brazil, other mentioned nations, do. It's just that by the 22nd century, those nations have learned to work together and formed a world government all nations are partnered in, rather than working alone and against each other. Basically, a utopia, where the UN actually works.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 07:33 PM   #25
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
My take is countries do exist, but all of them gave up a certain amount of sovereignty for a world-wide government. In essence, you have the "United States of Earth," of sorts, and each nation is a state within the central world government.

So, it makes sense to me that two nations that so shaped world history still exist, just as Russia, France, Japan, and Brazil, other mentioned nations, do. It's just that by the 22nd century, those nations have learned to work together and formed a world government all nations are partnered in, rather than working alone and against each other. Basically, a utopia, where the UN actually works.
Agree. United States of Earth/United Countries of Earth
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 11:17 PM   #26
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Picard is from 'France' as is stated in the show....however that does not mean 'France' in the modern sense. It is simply a region, a geographical area. NOT an independent, autonomous body.
Problem with that is, once France ceased being a political unit/country, how much longer would little Le Barre continue to be "French?" We seen in the past few decades where a country has ceased to exist, broken up, that the people fairly quickly stop identifying with the former large unit.

Just because a governing body is established at the world wide level, doesn't mean the countries that assembled it discontinue to be sovereign countries.

It all has to do with how much (and how little) United Earth is allowed to do. If UE's main duty is to speak for Earth on interstellar matters, and has few other abilities and responsibilities, it could be a fairly restricted administrative body.

Nothing says that UE actually can govern the entire surface of the Earth.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 12:55 AM   #27
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
Problem with that is, once France ceased being a political unit/country, how much longer would little Le Barre continue to be "French?" We seen in the past few decades where a country has ceased to exist, broken up, that the people fairly quickly stop identifying with the former large unit.
Most of those entities--Yugoslavia, Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia--were created late in the process of modernization when various allegiances to smaller nationalities had already been made. On the other hand, four decades of separation between eastern and western Germans created cultural divergences, but it did not undo the sense that they belonged to what should be a single entity. Would La Barre remain French? Franche-Comté is, in many respects, very Swiss, so I doubt that the disappearance of France as a political entity would make move any further in that direction. If their sense of Frenchness is drawn from their local circumstances and culture, then they will likely continue to identify their local culture as being French.
Old October 7 2013, 10:46 AM   #28
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
Although the "United Earth" insignia we saw in the TOS pilot episodes was not a reproduction of the United Nations but exclusively the United Americas.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 06:13 PM   #29
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

^ ¡ Viva el Imperio de las Américas !

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 10:08 PM   #30
TheSubCommander
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Galileo7 wrote: View Post
Although the "United Earth" insignia we saw in the TOS pilot episodes was not a reproduction of the United Nations but exclusively the United Americas.

Bob
I don't recall that logo. Do you have a link to it? I only recall the Mirror Universe logo, with the Western Hemisphere, but that was sort of retconned with Enterprise's In A Mirror Darkly.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote