RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,716
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 722
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 4 2013, 06:34 AM   #511
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen In 2013

Scaredface wrote: View Post
158. People Like Us (✩✩✩½) - Download - A contrived plot but Chris Pine and Elizabeth Banks were pretty good in their roles.
It was good to see Michelle Pfieffer in a movie again, too.

Totally worth watchin' for Pine & Banks, though.

159. Scarface (✩✩✩) - Download - I wanted to wait until after Breaking Bad was over to see this. It wasn't worth the hype but Al Pacino was pretty good.
Saw it for the first time just a few months ago. I enjoyed it.

Yeah, its hyped up all to hell, but still worth watchin'.

160. What to Expect When You're Expecting (✩✩) - Download - Stupid ensemble movie about pregant characters expecting children. If you want kids, you won't after seeing this. Or maybe you'll just forget about this bad movie and want them anyway. Chris Rock and Anna Kendrick stood out but that's about it.
I thought Chris Rock was just performin' his stand up in the movie. Anna Kendrick was alright, but Elizabeth Banks was better, especially her rant towards the end.

Also, the digital posters we used at the Alamo Drafthouse I worked at when the movie came out showed a pregnant Anna Kendrick, and that's just messed up once ya see the movie.

162. Gravity (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - Visually stunning and Sandra Bullock really delivered. My poin by point review is here.
Hopin' to see it this weekend!
Old October 4 2013, 03:54 PM   #512
Agent Richard07
Admiral

F0under wrote: View Post
Anna Kendrick was alright, but Elizabeth Banks was better, especially her rant towards the end.
Eh, not my favorite part. In fact, that was one of the moments that dragged the movie down for me.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 04:12 AM   #513
CaptainCanada
Admiral

68. Gravity (A+)

This is that rare movie that absolutely demands to be seen on the biggest screen you can find, in 3D. This would not be the same movie in 2D, let alone on a TV. It took Alfonso Cuaron years to make this, and it shows; this is virtuoso stuff, merging the absolute best movie-making technology with some wonderfully humanistic storytelling. Sandra Bullock gives the best performance I've ever seen from her.

Cinema: 26 (+1)
Home Video: 38
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 06:07 AM   #514
Harvey
Admiral

Scaredface wrote: View Post
159. Scarface (✩✩✩) - Download - I wanted to wait until after Breaking Bad was over to see this. It wasn't worth the hype but Al Pacino was pretty good.
There's always the 1932 original, which I think is also pretty good (but not great).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 06:41 AM   #515
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Didn't know any such thing existed. Maybe I'll check it out one of these days.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 09:11 AM   #516
od0_ital
Admiral

That Guy...Who Was in That Thing - Netflix Instant
Kathleen Madigan: Madigan Again - Netflix Instant
The Seven Year Itch - Netflix Instant
How to Marry a Millionaire- Netflix Instant
Do the Right Thing - Netflix Instant
Evil Dead 2: Dead Before Dawn - Netflix Instant
Escape from Planet Earth - Netflix Instant
Kevin Nealon: Whelmed, But Not Overly - Netflix Instant
Grave Encounters - Netflix Instant
Grave Encounters 2 - Netflix Instant
Steven Wright: When the Leaves Blow Away - Netflix Instant
Brother Bear 2 - Netflix Instant
Gravity 3D - theater

How to Marry a Millionaire was a cute movie about three women who plot to hook up with a rich husband, but wind up marryin' for love, instead.

Watched Spike Lee's first major film the other night. I thought it was pretty good, if a bit random. I liked seein' the source for Sal's Pizza seen in Inside Man and Red Hook Summer, too.

Finally saw ED2! That's three out of four films in the franchise I've seen, all that's left is Army of Darkness!

EFPE was a cute kids' movie, remindin' me a bit of Planet 51 from a few years ago. Havin' William Shatner voice the "Earth First" type general was a nice bit of irony. And I spotted the name "Odo" among the alien signatures, too.

The Kevin Nealon stand up was a bit better than his first one.

Watched the two GE horror films. Both are "found footage" movies. The first is about a reality show film crew findin' real terror in an old asylum. The second is about a fan of the first film goin' to the same asylum and findin' out that it wasn't just a movie. Both are bad movies, the second worse than the first. The elevator trick was bad enough, but it really goes off the rails when the ghosts start carryin' cameras around to film what's goin' on.

The Steven Wright stand up was okay. The first half was him on stage, the second half a self-aware Civil War story, with an old home video of one of his performances in Boston. I liked the stage show, not so much the Civil War thing.

Watched BB2 just 'cause its on Netflix and I watched the first last month with my brother's kids. Also, because its Rick Moranis's last screen credit, unless he comes out of retirement. The first was about family love & sacrifice, this was about romantic love.

Also, it should be noted that I watched 353 "new to me" movies in 2012. Brother Bear 2 was the 354 "new to me" movie this year.

And I went out to Nacogdoches's Carmike Six to see Gravity in 3D last night. Freakin' awesome movie! I wish seein' it on an IMAX-type screen was an option, but the closest one is in Louisiana.

Back to watchin' Burn Notice's fourth season via Netflix Instant right now...and there are still some movies playin' a the theater I wanna see, like Don Jon & The Family, Prisoners, Riddick & Runner Runner.
Old October 6 2013, 02:21 AM   #517
Mr Pointy Ears
Commander

I have only seen 3 movies so far this year-Olympus has fallen,star trek:into darkness and rush.other movies have been on dvd.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 03:29 AM   #518
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

80. The World's End: C+
81. The Other Woman: B
82. The Other Guys: B-
83. The Sorcerer's Apprentice: C+
84. Catfish: A-

So I decided it was time to watch the movie that coined the phrase "Catfishing" as it was popularized by the college football "dead girlfriend" shenanigans. I forget the player and don't care to google it.

I found it to be a surprisingly engrossing documentary about how this woman in Michigan created an elaborate ruse using Facebook and stealing a semi-professional models pictures from Model Mayhem and other things about the net to build this fake world in order to get the attention of a modest NY photo and filmmaker.
I kept waiting and waiting for how Catfish came into play and near the very, very end this woman's husband tries to make a parallel with how catfish somehow preserved cod as it was transported across the ocean in containers. Something about the catfish taking the bad and preserving the good. I honestly am not sure if or how much that applied to what his wife was doing. Anyway, I found it to be engaging all the same.

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
68. Gravity (A+)

This is that rare movie that absolutely demands to be seen on the biggest screen you can find, in 3D. This would not be the same movie in 2D, let alone on a TV. It took Alfonso Cuaron years to make this, and it shows; this is virtuoso stuff, merging the absolute best movie-making technology with some wonderfully humanistic storytelling. Sandra Bullock gives the best performance I've ever seen from her.
Well crap. I was going to save this for DVD. So seriously, it's big screen worthy of my theater dollars? I didn't doubt the quality but wasn't sure it screamed "must see big screen". But it is worthy of my $12 then?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 04:08 AM   #519
od0_ital
Admiral

^

I paid $12 to see it last night, and after it was over, I wished I could have paid more to see it at an IMAX theater. Well worth seein' on a theater screen, may not even be worth watchin' on a television.
Old October 6 2013, 04:56 AM   #520
CaptainCanada
Admiral

69. Captain Phillips (A)

I got to see this in a sneak peek at Empire, a week in advance of its wide release. This is Paul Greengrass' first film since the flop of Green Zone back in 2010, and, for my money, this is easily his best work that I've seen, and one of the year's best films. Tom Hanks was one of the biggest stars of the late 1980s and 1990s, but in the 2000s he largely (and gracefully) slipped out of the spotlight, spending his time lining his shelves with Emmys for producing HBO miniseries and doing smaller movies that mostly didn't attract attention. This is his best role in a very long time, up there with the work he was doing in his peak years, and is a lock to earn him his first nomination since Cast Away. The other significant performance, Barkhad Abdi as the leader of the Somali pirates, is equally worthy of recognition (and this is his debut performance). The rest of the cast is filled out with largely unknowns (Catherine Keener makes a brief appearance as Mrs. Phillips at the start of the movie).

Last year, Argo and Zero Dark Thirty got a lot of praise for taking a well-known situation and milking genuine suspense out of it -- Captain Phillips exceeds either of those on that score, in my opinion. Greengrass' visual aesthetic doesn't always work for me (and I think it's had a largely negative effect on how Hollywood shoots action movies), but it's perfectly deployed here. On the demerit side, the opening few scenes are a bit creaky in places, indulging in bits of heavy-handed foreshadowing that the rest of the film eschews. The film does an excellent job of balancing the situation, I think; we get a sense of the Somalis' sympathetic motives, without suggesting they're really just victims (though there's undeniably something very pathetic of seeing these violent but hapless guys being targeted by the multi-billion-dollar national security apparatus of the world's most powerful state; they clearly have no idea what they're doing or how badly the odds are against them).

Cinema: 27 (+1)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Well crap. I was going to save this for DVD. So seriously, it's big screen worthy of my theater dollars? I didn't doubt the quality but wasn't sure it screamed "must see big screen". But it is worthy of my $12 then?
If any movie in the last few years demands to be seen on the big screen, it's this one. It's hands down the best 3D I've ever seen.

- Homer Simpson
Old October 6 2013, 10:43 PM   #521
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+
16) Independence Day - B+
17) Star Trek – Into Darkness - B+

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+
21) White House Down - B+
22) Saving Private Ryan - A

23) Air Force One - A-
24) MASH - B+

25) Airplane! - B+
26) The Island - B
27) Love, Actually - A-
28) Kickass 2 - C+
29) 28 Days - C
30) Mamma Mia - B+
31) I Do (And I Don't) - F
32) Admission - D-
33) The Upside Of Anger - D-
34) The Book of Eli - B+

Once it got going, it was a good action piece, but it took a long time to get going. I don't get a lot of the silent moments Denzel Washington and it was difficult to accept Mila Kunis in her action role.

That being said, it was a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Old October 7 2013, 02:08 AM   #522
od0_ital
Admiral

That Guy...Who Was in That Thing - Netflix Instant
Kathleen Madigan: Madigan Again - Netflix Instant
The Seven Year Itch - Netflix Instant
How to Marry a Millionaire- Netflix Instant
Do the Right Thing - Netflix Instant
Evil Dead 2: Dead Before Dawn - Netflix Instant
Escape from Planet Earth - Netflix Instant
Kevin Nealon: Whelmed, But Not Overly - Netflix Instant
Grave Encounters - Netflix Instant
Grave Encounters 2 - Netflix Instant
Steven Wright: When the Leaves Blow Away - Netflix Instant
Brother Bear 2 - Netflix Instant
Gravity 3D - theater
24: Redemption - Netflix Instant
Small Soldiers - Netflix Instant

Been watchin' a lot of Burn Notice this weekend, so yeah, only two movies this weekend.

Seein' that The Fall of Sam Axe, the made for tv movie set between the fourth & fifth seasons of Burn Notice reminded me that 24 had a made for tv movie, too.

So, I found that, and watched it. It was alright, even though I haven't seen the sixth or seventh seasons of 24. And the movie is a setup for the seventh season of the series.

Still, Keifer Sutherland as Jack Bauer is almost always awesome, in small doses. Found out with the DVD series that the character isn't fun to watch in marathon sessions.

Followed that with Small Soldiers...that was a dumb movie. Toys that come to life and fight a war in suburbia...with Phil Hartman, Kirsten Dunst, Robert Picardo, David Cross, Jay Mohr & Denis Leary...

Frank Langella is the voice of the "monster" leader while Tommy Lee Jones is the voice for the commando leader. And even though his dialogue is just a bunch of random military inspirational phrases, he was still the best part of the movie.

And now I'm back to watchin' Burn Notice...
Old October 7 2013, 03:06 AM   #523
CaptainCanada
Admiral

70. Rush (A-)

One movie a night this weekend (counting Friday), and all of them top calibre. The film is a rather unusual effort from Ron Howard and Peter Morgan, whose previous collaboration (and previous independent works) wouldn't have suggested they'd be interested in this kind of subject-matter or film style (the film is very casually R-rated, and could probably have been made PG-13 without losing anything essential, so it's especially impressive that they didn't go that route; f-bombs and casual nudity for all!). I (like most North Americans, I suspect) don't know much about Formula One racing, and I'd largely avoided reading up on the history here, so I genuinely didn't know how things were going to end, which made for an interesting viewing experience. Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl are both excellent in the lead roles. There's a variety of supporting characters, including Alexandra Maria Lara (Traudl Jung in Downfall and Olivia Wilde, but they don't have much to do (one of the various women in Hemsworth's life is played by Natalie Dormer, who shows up entirely in the first ten minutes, and then vanishes; either she's just working her way through the Avengers, or was a fan of the subject-matter, because I'd have thought this was a little small a part for her otherwise).

Cinema: 28 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old October 7 2013, 05:23 AM   #524
od0_ital
Admiral

I'm watchin' Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe via Netflix Instant.

I watched it when it originally aired on USA awhile back, so I won't be addin' it to the list.
Old October 8 2013, 03:26 AM   #525
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

81. The Other Woman: B
82. The Other Guys: B-
83. The Sorcerer's Apprentice: C+
84. Catfish: A-
85. Wild Hogs: C

The John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, Tim Allen and William H Macy suburban biker film about some 40-ish yr old men who are in various stages of mid-life crisis and looking to reinvent themselves.
Outside of William H Macy's character being the goof and being overtly bungling the rest of this screenplay was short on laughs. Each actor had a few highlights but I found this to be a very pedestrian film. I recall it did well at the theater and a quick look at BOM confirms it, not sure what audiences saw in this film. It did $168m domestic, for a comedy that usually gets you a sequel regardless.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote