A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 4 2013, 08:33 PM   #1
grendelsbayne
Commander

State of Languages in the Federation

Reading through the thread about nations surviving into the 24th century got me wondering about languages. Of course the shows make almost constant use of universal translators to avoid having to explain this sort of thing, but we know there must be quite a few languages across the Federation.

So I'm wondering: how much do the characters on the show actually really understand each other?

Did Spock learn English because of his mother? Do Odo and Kira really spend all their time speaking Bajoran? Does Picard actually speak French all the time? Have any earth languages other than english actually survived?

Do the Betazoids and the Risians even have their own language?

If you disabled every universal translator, would a Federation starship be rendered almost completely unable to function, or is English just the standard language of the organization, with extensive english lessons at the academy?

And what about the Federation Council? In STIV, the clearly non-human Federation President seems to speak entirely in English. Is that translation or do the other member states really not care that even the council itself is entirely earth-centric?
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: State of Languages in the Federation

Starfleet would surely need a lingua franca for its members to function dependably, and English is most likely that. It's probably required coursework at the Academy.

Among Federation citizens, I doubt the existence of the universal translator significantly affects their cultural identity. In societies largely free of scarcity, learning is one of the only things left to do.
grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
Does Picard actually speak French all the time?
In the episode "Code of Honor," Data makes a comment that could lead the viewer to believe the French language is as dead as Latin. Picard's flawless English, English accent and affinity for English literature point to that as well. French is a dying language today.
Old October 4 2013, 09:30 PM   #3
iguana_tonante
Admiral

My take is that all people in Starfleet speak a common language (be it a future version of English, Vulcan, Galaxyan, or whatever), which is conveyed as English in the show. Universal translators can fail, and no sensible organization would make itself susceptible to such a critical failure if possible. All Federation officials would probably speak this language too, to ease communications in government, and the same applies to most Federation citizens. Being multilingual is probably quite common. Local languages (what we would call national languages) can be still used at home with family and friends, but not in planetary or interplanetary communications. It won't be much different from current countries with more than one official languages.
Old October 4 2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Nine of Four
Commander

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
My take is that all people in Starfleet speak a common language (be it a future version of English, Vulcan, Galaxyan, or whatever), which is conveyed as English in the show.
That's what I always thought about the language, too. It would make sense that, in an effort to avoid accusations of favoritism, Starfleet would chose a language other the English, Vulcan, or Andorian, as those planets formed the Federation. I always pictured pre-ENT Federation leaders picking a language at random, which over the course of the next several decades would become the universal standard.
Old October 4 2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

They all speak Federation Standard.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 10:43 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I always kind of imagined that the dominant language in the Federation was a "universal English," and that it contained quite a lot of words and phrases from other worlds too (the stuff the Universal Translator sometimes doesn't translate).
Old October 4 2013, 11:57 PM   #7
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Nine of Four wrote: View Post
It would make sense that, in an effort to avoid accusations of favoritism, Starfleet would chose a language other the English, Vulcan, or Andorian, as those planets formed the Federation.
Well, short of inventing a new artificial language, someone has to be favored in this case, especially since 95% of the human population do not speak English as their first language, yet Star Trek has always been very cavalier with English as the default human language. If you can impose English on 7 billion humans, a few billions of Vulcans and Andorians should not be a problem.
Old October 5 2013, 12:24 AM   #8
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I agree there must be a lingua franca or maybe more than one. What it/they might derive from is anyone's guess. Didn't the Orions used to have a widespread empire long, long ago? Maybe lots of folks speak Orion. There was a reference in "The Trouble With Tribbles" about folks learning to speak the Klingon tongue, while members of the Klingon crew in STiii clearly spoke in something other than Klingon to each other...sometimes.

Evidently, English immigrants have taken over France. At a convention Marina Sirtis expressed great pleasure at this realization.
Old October 5 2013, 12:24 AM   #9
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I like to think that Esperanto achieved some sort of resurgence in popularity and was used as the basis for Federation Standard. Of course, since Star Trek originated in America, the language and signage is primarily American English, and current nations frequently translate the dialogue into their own languages.

I'm choosing Esperanto only because William Shatner did make a film (Incubus) done in it.
Old October 5 2013, 12:59 AM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
Did Spock learn English because of his mother?
It would seem likely. Spock's mother was said to have been a school teacher, while never made clear in-universe, I always imagined that she taught English to Vulcan students.

Do the Betazoids and the Risians even have their own language?
Betazed children (the majority) can't communicate telepathically until puberty, so the Betazed would need to have a spoken language

If you disabled every universal translator, would a Federation starship be rendered almost completely unable to function ...
There was a episode of Farscape where everyone's translator microbes stopped working, none of them spoke any of the other's languages.

All Federation officials would probably speak this language too, to ease communications in government, and the same applies to most Federation citizens
Problem there is how many of the multiple species with membership in the federation would be able to form the spoken words in each other languages? Would a person from Cait be able to annunciate English, even with instruction?

Look at it this way, apes can be taught sign language in order to communicate (to a limited degree) with Humans, but they can't be taught to speak to us because their vocal apparatus is incapable of producing Human speech.

yet Star Trek has always been very cavalier with English as the default human language.
I frequently watch Star Trek in Spanish.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 01:10 AM   #11
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Well if all the UT's went out they might do this:
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 02:15 AM   #12
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Vanyel wrote: View Post
Well if all the UT's went out they might do this:
I've been in this situation before: two Moldavians spoke to a Russian scholar in Russian, who translated to me in German, and I translated to a French railroad official in French and English. It went more smoothly on I Love Lucy.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 02:40 AM   #13
iguana_tonante
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
All Federation officials would probably speak this language too, to ease communications in government, and the same applies to most Federation citizens
Problem there is how many of the multiple species with membership in the federation would be able to form the spoken words in each other languages?
I'd say pretty much the same number of species that can have sex with humans, i.e.: any number the writers want to.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
yet Star Trek has always been very cavalier with English as the default human language.
I frequently watch Star Trek in Spanish.

Good for you?

Last edited by iguana_tonante; October 5 2013 at 02:58 AM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 02:59 AM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

DS9's Little Green Men certainly seems to imply that at the very least Quark, Rom, and Nog are speaking the Ferengi language and rely on their UTs to understand everyone else and to be understood. The Japanese guy in Voyager's The 37s was speaking English though he claimed to hear everyone else speaking Japanese. Presumably everyone is speaking their native languages.

I'm sure there are exceptions. Given Spock is half human and chose to work among humans he probably has learned English. Worf should actually be speaking Russian given he was raised by Russian parents. Though since they are always speaking English it stands to reason he learned the language. T'Pol likely was actually speaking English given UTs weren't as common back in the day.

Mr. B wrote: View Post
In the episode "Code of Honor," Data makes a comment that could lead the viewer to believe the French language is as dead as Latin. Picard's flawless English, English accent and affinity for English literature point to that as well. French is a dying language today.
Actually, all Data said was that French was "archaic." Which implies it isn't a dead tongue, just not a common one.
Old October 5 2013, 04:12 AM   #15
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It's English and English only. The west rules the galaxy.