RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 494
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 10 2013, 02:29 PM   #76
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: New Riddick thread

I saw this on Saturday, I enjoyed it a lot.

I thought the low budget really showed in the CGI, the planet was beautifully conceived, but unconvincingly rendered, and the green screening effects really sucked. I also thought the script was clunky and the acting mostly poor.

However, Vin really shines in this and makes it a lot of fun to watch, the parts where only he is in the movie are the best bits. The action was non stop, quite entertaining, and there a few effective moments of tension. Good to see Katee Sackhoff up on the big screen, and the prosthetic effects were fantastic.

I give it a B+ for an A-Movie, or an A+ for a B-Movie.
Old September 10 2013, 03:30 PM   #77
bbailey861
Admiral

Saw this last night with the wife. We both enjoyed it and are hoping that we can get another one out of this series. This one really brought in the flavour of "Pitch Black". Maybe the next one can bring back the feeling of 'The Chronicles'. It certainly is the place to go back to for story progression. He has a few scores to settle. Who knows, Boss Johns and Dahl can reappear for a bit as well.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:51 PM   #78
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I'm fine with going back to a PG-13 rating if necessary, as the article on the prior page alluded. That films rating shows plenty of gore. True it trims out the primo curse words and nudity but honestly those elements didn't enhance this film(most) in any way. Some of the best parts in the movie are with Riddick being a survivor on his own.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 10:52 PM   #79
Mr Light
Admiral

I really, really want them to deal with the Underverse.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 01:45 PM   #80
bbailey861
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Agreed. There is so much they could do with this.
Old September 11 2013, 03:32 PM   #81
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Agreed. There is so much they could do with this.
Well, pray Riddick makes enough money to warrant sequels then.

Vin Diesel:
ďYouíve got to go to the Underverse. Itís expected, itís something I firmly believe. Youíll have to go through the Underverse to get to Furya. So, those are the two further stories that are mapped out. The Underverse is a much more costly venture. We went this direction, trying to do an R rated movie, which is cool and even more interesting because itís so unexpected. But yes, you will be at the Underverse and you will be at Furya sooner or later.Ē

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 10:38 PM   #82
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
That films rating shows plenty of gore.
One of the hallmarks of that rating is usually the minimization of blood, mostly bloodless fights/killings, etc.
Old September 12 2013, 02:18 AM   #83
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

In hindsight gore was the wrong word. PG-13 isn't bloodless though and for a few choice scenes that's all you need to sell a few moments with emphasis.
Old September 18 2013, 04:15 AM   #84
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Pingfah wrote: View Post
I saw this on Saturday, I enjoyed it a lot.

I thought the low budget really showed in the CGI, the planet was beautifully conceived, but unconvincingly rendered, and the green screening effects really sucked. I also thought the script was clunky and the acting mostly poor.

However, Vin really shines in this and makes it a lot of fun to watch, the parts where only he is in the movie are the best bits. The action was non stop, quite entertaining, and there a few effective moments of tension. Good to see Katee Sackhoff up on the big screen, and the prosthetic effects were fantastic.

I give it a B+ for an A-Movie, or an A+ for a B-Movie.
Thanks for this Pingfah. I hope to make it to the cinema before it gets taken off.
Old September 18 2013, 03:55 PM   #85
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
I don't think it's in heavy danger of being gone in a few weeks.
It's still in the top 5 of dailies.
Tuesday daily numbers will put it over $32m domestic and Riddick now has $53m+ World Wide on a $38m budget.
Old September 18 2013, 06:32 PM   #86
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I should be more clear that I'm sort of confined to barracks at the moment but hope to be well enough to see it.
Old September 18 2013, 07:09 PM   #87
bbailey861
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^^
I don't think it's in heavy danger of being gone in a few weeks.
It's still in the top 5 of dailies.
Tuesday daily numbers will put it over $32m domestic and Riddick now has $53m+ World Wide on a $38m budget.
I am very happy to hear that. My wife and I will also be adding the Blu-ray to the collection when it comes out - hopefully by Xmas. I am hoping all this bodes well for a follow-up.
Old October 4 2013, 11:31 PM   #88
publiusr
Commodore

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post

Vin Diesel:
ďYouíve got to go to the Underverse. Itís expected, itís something I firmly believe. Youíll have to go through the Underverse to get to Furya. So, those are the two further stories that are mapped out. The Underverse is a much more costly venture. We went this direction, trying to do an R rated movie, which is cool and even more interesting because itís so unexpected. But yes, you will be at the Underverse and you will be at Furya sooner or later.Ē
With the Robert Howard type feel of entities plunging from world to world, I would love to see the homeworld of the Necromongers revealed as Pnidleethon

http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/2010/...rnal-star.html

--or maybe Fomalhaut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomalhaut
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 02:05 AM   #89
Freman
Fleet Captain

Anybody get the Unrated Director's Cut on blu-ray (that comes with a DVD copy as well)?

Just wondering if the Director's Cut is also on the DVD in that set or if it's only on hte blu-ray disc? Bought the regular DVD and was pissed to find it was on the Theatrical version. Getting really sick of DVDs just being barebones, nothing special, and them hardly ever putting out 2 disc versions anymore. And what ever happened to audio commentaries?

I want the Director's Cut. On DVD!
Old January 29 2014, 03:08 AM   #90
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Looks like the DVD earlier sales numbers have done the trick for Universal. This is why I buy DVD's of "on the bubble" films that first week/month of release.

A fourth Riddick film is now on the table.

"I'm just excited, and happy, and I'm shouting out to you guys to say thank you. Universal just called me and told me Riddick is number one on the DVD charts. There's no way Riddick would have been made without you guys. You know that. and you guys have been a part of our page since 2012 and remember how arduous a road it was to get the movie made, and to make it rated 'R,' and to do it with such a low budget. It's a win for all of us and I really, really thank you so much. Yeah, I'm excited, and of course, Universal also says they want to develop the next one."