Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 29 2013, 10:44 PM   #76
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Pre TOS star cruiser....

Take care.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 09:47 PM   #77
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Enjoy your trip.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 03:17 AM   #78
Warped9
Admiral

I'm baaack. (-: Nice to have a few days change of scenery, but also nice to be home.

Today I started getting in some finer details: some saucer windows and running lights. Taking a cue from the WNMHGB pilot version of the Enterprise I've set the lower saucer running lights further aft rather than align them with the upper saucer running lights.

Old October 3 2013, 04:20 PM   #79
Warped9
Admiral

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the segmenting on curved surfaces (seeing the individual facets of the curvature) is a lot less noticeaable on this model and to some extent the last. The simple reason is I'm making my large circles and curvatures at 360 degrees or 360 sides. As a curve gets smaller in relation to the model then I decrease the number of sides because it simply won't be noticeable then. Mind you even at 360 degrees if the light hits the surface just right and your pov is close enough then you can still make out some facets, but it's a lot less noticeable now. Yeah, sometimes it can mean a bit more work, but the finished result is a lot more satisfying.
Old October 4 2013, 02:46 AM   #80
Warped9
Admiral

Incremental progress. All the windows are in although I want to darken just a few more of them on the secondary hull.

You mighn't see it, but the dorsal does have a slight greenish tint to it just as the pilot versions of the TOS 11 footer had a slight bluish cast to it.
Old October 4 2013, 03:54 PM   #81
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Ooh lovely... the lighting is really making it quite dramatic. In the top shot, it's very much a Starship.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old October 4 2013, 04:31 PM   #82
Warped9
Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
Ooh lovely... the lighting is really making it quite dramatic. In the top shot, it's very much a Starship.
I, too, quite like the top image. I'm presently trying to think of extra bits of detailing (but not too much) to create a bit more visual texture. I'm also going with panels and sections of the hull done in slightly different tones. Finally I'll move on to the signage.

I still think of this as the Valiant even though I haven't finalized on a name yet.
Old October 4 2013, 05:17 PM   #83
Praetor
Vice Admiral

The thing I like about your approach to the texturing is that the hull is still fairly smooth, but has very clear separations. It's almost like by the time of TOS, they figured out how to make panels big enough that those seams were able to be hidden. I guess I'd only suggest you not go off the deep end with detailing, which I don't think you would anyway.

And I think she makes a fine Valiant.
Old October 4 2013, 06:30 PM   #84
Warped9
Admiral

Although I've never done it before I'd like to try more than one light source to create shadows like was done on TOS. That way the parts of the ship mostly in shadow wouldn't be quite so dark. Another thing I'm resisting is some of the lighting tricks that came later beginning with TMP---that of added lighting effects to engines and nav deflectors and such. For me it just doesn't look right on TOS and pre TOS era designs. I think it starts looking too toy like.

No, any physical details I add now will be quite moderate. Same with the variation in hull tones. After I finish those the next major thing will be signage then choosing the true colours for the nav deflector dome and such.
Old October 5 2013, 07:28 PM   #85
Warped9
Admiral

Some small additions and small changes. The navigational dome and nacelle spikes have been made more copper coloured than gold. There has been some subtle detailing added to the upper saucer dome as well as the saucer underside although they might not be easy to spot. I next want to add some detail to the underside and aft end of the secondary hull before I finally begin working on the signage. The colours might look somewhat flat in these images but they haven't had materials and reflective values assigned to them yet. I only do that when the model is complete.

On another note I'm rethinking my Independence-class. I still like the basic concept, but I'm going to use my star clipper design as a jumping off point and modify that. Basically the central section extending aft from the saucer will be tweaked a bit and shortened as well as widened. The hangar area (behind the shark fin) will be removed as it will go into the secondary hull which will replace the single warp nacelle. I think I want to keep the impulse engines much as they are on the star clipper or some version of it. Finally nacelles with some similarity to the star clipper's nacelle will be mounted on either side of the modified centre section.
Old October 6 2013, 09:14 PM   #86
Warped9
Admiral

Starting to get in some signage on the secondary hull, nacelles and saucer underside. I opted to go with tweaking the familiar Starfleet pennant design to reflect the idea this ship is decades older and from a time when Starfleet was pretty much just getting off the ground after the founding of the Federation. The red of the pennant links back to the UESPA pennant I have on the star clipper. The stylized star represents the "star" in Star Fleet and I got the idea from Masao's Starfleet Museum only I coloured it yellow and put it right on the pennant to differentiate from Masao's design. One could speculate that when the pennant is redesigned (possibly when the Constitution-class is introduced) the stylized star becomes an arrowhead or boomerang.

After some further thought I've decided to designate this design as Vanguard-class and this ship will be called the Valiant. I chose NCC-1203 to reflect this being one of the earliest ones to be commissioned into service.

Last edited by Warped9; October 7 2013 at 01:26 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 03:43 PM   #87
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Looks awesome!
Old October 7 2013, 08:34 PM   #88
Warped9
Admiral

I think I've gone just about as far as I can with this. I am going to take some time to think about whether I want to add any more fine detailing to it before I begin assigning materials to it so to make some finished renders.

Looking at these I can't help but reflect on how I first started fumbling with SketchUp. (-: I also feel (looking at these) that there's a story to be told about this ship. It's a shame it will be lost. I like to think that Robert April and Christopher Pike got their first commands aboard these ships. I also imagine the Republic NCC-1371 being one of these.
Old October 8 2013, 12:23 AM   #89
publiusr
Commodore

I think you have tied into the spirit of TOS better than I ever could. Now, to me Masaos Valley Forge should have been a post TOS look, as fluid as that design was.

Your earlier Best of Trek ship, this one, the TOS and Masao's Valley Forge look like they all belong to the same universe--I can see progression.

That makes more sense than a sudden leap from a Daedalus to the Constitution.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 01:07 AM   #90
StarCruiser
Commander

I was going to say - it's interesting how the proportions seem to come right back to the ol' Enterprise again... Just shows how well balanced the original MJ design really was.