Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 29 2013, 04:17 PM   #61
Christopher
Writer

Re: Ghost in the Shell Arise: 2013

It's worth noting that not every creator or fan worries that much about whether two things are strictly in continuity with each other or not. For many, all that's necessary to call something a prequel is that it's set earlier in the characters' lives, regardless of whether its specific version of events is in continuity with what came before. This whole strictly delineated taxonomy of reboots and prequels and whatnot that some fans insist on is hardly a formal or universal set of policies handed down from on high. Heck, even the term "reboot" never really meant "launch of separate continuity" until fans started using it that way in response to the Moore Galactica. Before then, in industry parlance, it just meant a restart of a dormant franchise, regardless of whether it was a continuity or a revamp/revival of the old one. So it's worth remembering that these labels are somewhat subjective and that the usages that fans tend to favor these days aren't necessarily the same as the usages within the industry.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 05:02 PM   #62
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
It's in no ways a prequel to any of the pre-existing content, the possibility of any continuity landmines is likely why (such as her conflicting origin in the GITS anime).
Well, that's why I'm saying it could be a prequel to the movies, because the SAC origin isn't a part of the movieverse. Since you only have the two films there's less to potentially contradict in that continuity. And though I haven't watched the first film recently I don't think it does anything with Togusa that would necessarily create a problem with Arise. Aramaki's design looks a lot like the first movie's version to me, but that might not mean anything.

I've noticed that some websites commenting on Arise seem to act as if the movies and SAC were in the same continuity.
Old October 4 2013, 02:39 AM   #63
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but has there been any news on an approximate release date for the "regular" ( non-import ) North American release? I had thought that we would know by now.
Old October 4 2013, 05:12 AM   #64
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Funimation released the Japanese Collector's edition blu-ray (with English subtitles) back in late August.
Old October 4 2013, 05:40 AM   #65
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I'm talking about the dubbed ( and presumably also subbed ) American release that was supposed to follow at some point.
Old October 4 2013, 10:10 AM   #66
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Doesn't it usually take something like a year for the English versions to come out? I honestly wouldn't hold my breath, Japan have never been in much of a hurry with this sort of thing.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 02:42 PM   #67
Pilot Ace
Captain

Reverend wrote: View Post
Doesn't it usually take something like a year for the English versions to come out? I honestly wouldn't hold my breath, Japan have never been in much of a hurry with this sort of thing.
I think it's usually more than a year.

The logic these days still being that Japanese studios want to limit the reverse importation of the English product back to Japan. Their DVD/Bluray prices are insane, especially compared to ours, so if our version was released too quickly they assume Japanese will buy our version instead of theirs (because we include the Japanese audio anyway.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 02:47 PM   #68
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Damn it.