Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 3 2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Noddy
Captain

Pre-TOS five year missions in the books

Okay, STID has it that as of 2260 in the new reality, there has never been a five year mission in the history of Starfleet. Just wondered, are there any books or whatever that posit missions of such lengths prior to the era shown in TOS?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Pre-TOS five year missions in the books

I've seen fan sources assuming that Spock's 11 years, 4 months, and 5 days under Pike's command encompassed two 5YMs and a bit more, but nothing in the tie-ins seems to support that.

Although let's define our terms a bit more carefully. The phrase "five-year mission" by itself is pretty meaningless. Duration doesn't define a mission; purpose does. What's new as of STID is a dedicated deep-space exploration mission with a planned duration of five years. Which strikes me as a reflection of the particular state of affairs in the alternate reality, where Starfleet seems to have adopted more of a defense-oriented footing in the wake of the Kelvin's destruction. Perhaps it's only now that the pendulum has shifted back toward Starfleet's exploratory responsibilities. If so, that doesn't reveal anything about the state of affairs in the Prime reality.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 09:48 PM   #3
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I have a feeling by the time we get to STID there is probably very little that is the same between the two universes.
Old October 3 2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Which strikes me as a reflection of the particular state of affairs in the alternate reality, where Starfleet seems to have adopted more of a defense-oriented footing in the wake of the Kelvin's destruction. Perhaps it's only now that the pendulum has shifted back toward Starfleet's exploratory responsibilities. If so, that doesn't reveal anything about the state of affairs in the Prime reality.
I don't know Kirk in TMP seemed to think the 5 year mission was a big deal seeing as that was part of his justification for taking back command of the Enterprise, so it kind of implies not everyone was doing those.

Besides the Enterprise was still probably doing the usual TOS things judging by the star of Into Darkness, they just went back to Earth after finishing up instead of going to the next random planet.

Honestly I'm starting to wonder if a 5 year mission just means running from planet to planet with occasional stops at starbases for 5 years where as regular missions are going to the planet conducting the mission and then returning to the ship's home port (which is kind of the impression I got of what the Enterprise was doing in the TOS films).
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 04:26 AM   #5
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I don't know Kirk in TMP seemed to think the 5 year mission was a big deal seeing as that was part of his justification for taking back command of the Enterprise, so it kind of implies not everyone was doing those.
I think I just took that as Kirk emphasizing that he'd faced the unknown "out there" as a captain for five years already, whereas Decker was a newly minted captain. I'm not sure one can really extrapolate that to determine whether a certain mission duration was common or uncommon.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 04:40 AM   #6
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Noddy wrote: View Post
Okay, STID has it that as of 2260 in the new reality, there has never been a five year mission in the history of Starfleet. Just wondered, are there any books or whatever that posit missions of such lengths prior to the era shown in TOS?

There's been nothing in the 2009/2013 films to say that "Enterprise" did not occur as it did, so you'd have a two-year mission (as I recall, Enterprise, after "Broken Bow" never returned to Earth till "The Xindi"). From what I could tell, the NX-01 model in the 2013 film looked just like the NX-01 from the TV series.

But I believe "Starfleet Year One" had the newly launched Dadelus heading out on a multi-year mission.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 06:34 AM   #7
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
IIRC, the TMP novelization says something about the Enterprise being the first of its class to return from a 5YM with the ship and its crew "relatively unscathed".

The trilogy "My Brother's Keeper" has pre-TOS stuff with Kirk and Gary Mitchell. Not sure if it specifies the lengths of other vessel's missions.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 10:10 AM   #8
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
IIRC, the TMP novelization says something about the Enterprise being the first of its class to return from a 5YM with the ship and its crew "relatively unscathed"
Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise goes one further, and says Kirk's Enterprise was the only one of the original 13 Constitution-class ships to return at all. Shane Johnson uses this to justify the Enterprise's extensive refit (she and her crew are famous now) and the Enterprise emblem being adopted fleet-wide.
JD wrote: View Post
Yeah, I have a feeling by the time we get to STID there is probably very little that is the same between the two universes.
Unless you read the comics, in which case a bunch of TOS' 5-year mission missions happened years earlier and before this new Enterprise's 5YM.
Old October 4 2013, 12:12 PM   #9
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Have we never had any sort of clarification on April or Pike, other than the assumption based on Spock's service level with the latter? I guess even stating how long TOS Enterprise was in service doesn't help because that doesn't specify the missions it was doing.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

I got the impression that 5 years was the duration of Kirk's captaincy, after which Starfleet would decide if he would continue as captain or assign him elsewhere.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Jon P
Fleet Captain

It might be worth looking at Best Destiny, which has Kirk as a teenager on the Enterprise with his dad and Robert April. I don't remember much about it, but it may address the 5-year mission question.
Old October 4 2013, 11:45 PM   #12
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

NightJim wrote: View Post
Have we never had any sort of clarification on April or Pike, other than the assumption based on Spock's service level with the latter?
Someone went wild with this "stub" on Memory Beta, but I can't see it's based on many actual references.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Five-year_mission
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 05:40 AM   #13
Leto_II
Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
IIRC, the TMP novelization says something about the Enterprise being the first of its class to return from a 5YM with the ship and its crew "relatively unscathed"
Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise goes one further, and says Kirk's Enterprise was the only one of the original 13 Constitution-class ships to return at all. Shane Johnson uses this to justify the Enterprise's extensive refit (she and her crew are famous now) and the Enterprise emblem being adopted fleet-wide.
Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens later went against this in The Ashes of Eden, where it's mentioned that Androvar Drake managed to bring his Constitution-class starship back from its 5-year mission only a month after Kirk returned from his; Kirk being the first starship captain in history to do so.

Of course, other sources would later contradict this account, with Captain Pike having commanded several successful 5-year missions before Kirk, but that's pretty much par for the ST-continuity course.
Old October 5 2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Shane Johnson uses this to justify the Enterprise's extensive refit (she and her crew are famous now) and the Enterprise emblem being adopted fleet-wide.
Which is ignoring the evidence from "Court-Martial" that other starships already used the arrowhead insignia. A lot of stuff in that book was not very credible, and it's no surprise that it hasn't been drawn on much as a reference. (I've referenced it a bit in my post-TMP novels, but only selectively.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 03:35 PM   #15
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I've seen fan sources assuming that Spock's 11 years, 4 months, and 5 days under Pike's command encompassed two 5YMs and a bit more, but nothing in the tie-ins seems to support that.

Although let's define our terms a bit more carefully. The phrase "five-year mission" by itself is pretty meaningless. Duration doesn't define a mission; purpose does. What's new as of STID is a dedicated deep-space exploration mission with a planned duration of five years. Which strikes me as a reflection of the particular state of affairs in the alternate reality, where Starfleet seems to have adopted more of a defense-oriented footing in the wake of the Kelvin's destruction. Perhaps it's only now that the pendulum has shifted back toward Starfleet's exploratory responsibilities. If so, that doesn't reveal anything about the state of affairs in the Prime reality.
Well, whether that's really new as of STID depends largely upon whether one considers William Shatner's voiceover in TOS to function as words from the mouth of an omniscient narrator, speaking of the way things are in-universe. If you do (and I do), then it's reasonably explicit that the TOS Enterprise had been sent by Starfleet on a mission that had a planned duration of five years and that had the intended purpose to explore strange new worlds, seek out new life forms, etc. Perhaps you are arguing that the TOS Enterprise's flight path wasn't always dedicated to traveling in deep space, since she often returned to base, or that the mission was not one exclusively of exploration (both of which I'd concede)?