Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 30 2013, 02:12 AM   #76
Aldo
Admiral

Re: Ugly Things That Ruin a Show

I always found it funny, different strokes and all that I guess.

That's not to say I watch the show anymore. There was this one episode where Brian accidentally runs over a dog that just left a bad taste in my mouth, I'm sure they could have done something funny with the premise, but they chose to be extremely graphic in the aftermath of the accident. I've not watched it regularly since.
Old October 4 2013, 03:31 AM   #77
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Something about Star Trek Into Darkness has been bugging me. It's far from my deal breaker with the film, but who the hell designed those uniforms for the USS Vengeance crew?! How am I supposed to take a bad guy seriously when he's dressed like that?

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Has the pedophile gramps from Family Guy been mentioned? I just can't tolerate that character. Maybe it has something to do with his pedophilia.
I have some friends who are huge die hard Star Wars fans who refuse to re-watch "Blue Harvest" because they hate the fact that Obi-Wan Kenobi is the pedophile old guy.
Old October 4 2013, 03:49 AM   #78
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I refuse to watch Blue Harvest again because it's just the movie scene for scene with easy laugh-oriented character replacement and snarky commentary.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 07:23 PM   #79
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

And the sequels even more so. ROBOT CHICKEN and FAMILY GUY both milk the WARS trilogy for all it's worth. (Must be a Seth Green thing.) What's really funny is Peter Griffin telling Lois HER voice is annoying.
Old October 8 2013, 03:52 AM   #80
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
The Silly hats and a lot of the costumes in the Dune miniseries are very distracting. Most people who have seen it seem to agree.
I agree that the hats are ridiculous, but at least they're not as bad as black rubber stillsuits. Some of the actors just about died of heatstroke, trying to cope with wearing those things in the desert.

As for the funny hats, I just chalk that up to a future society where the aristocracy has all these servants and slaves to do their work for them, so they never need to worry about wearing anything practical.

One of the ugly-things-in-tv-shows that I recall is the colorized versions of some of the old Richard Greene "Robin Hood" series. I loved that program when I was a kid, and enjoyed it even more as an adult - in black and white. I saw some colorized episodes, though, and the first thing that came to mind was, "Grown men just don't wear that shade of green! They wouldn't be caught dead in it!"

(any grown men here who wish to contradict me, go ahead...)

Something else that would dissuade me from watching a show: ugly voices/accents. There are some kinds of accents that I can't stand hearing, and if a character on a show has that kind of accent or a particularly scratchy or shrill voice, I won't watch it.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:26 AM   #81
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Quark in a dress...Phlox cutting his toenails.
Quark in a dress, I can deal with. But Phlox and his toenails... I really, really wish you hadn't reminded me!
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:29 AM   #82
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Something about Star Trek Into Darkness has been bugging me. It's far from my deal breaker with the film, but who the hell designed those uniforms for the USS Vengeance crew?! How am I supposed to take a bad guy seriously when he's dressed like that?
I don't remember them but I wouldn't think anyone who called a ship "USS Vengeance" would be one for subtlety or taste.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 09:54 PM   #83
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
Nonsense. Look at the Avatar:TLA or The Legend of Korra, look at Young Justice, just try and tell me modern animation is "nasty."
I think they're talking about comedic cartoons, though.
Exactly.. For every Avatar or Young Justice, or even Teen Titans Go, there is a Flapjack, Regular Show, Billy and Mandy, etc...

The "nasty" started way back with Ren and Stimpy... Occassionally, just for effect, they would do a close up still shot of a character's mouth, nose or whatever, showing it to be disgusting... Now in some cartoons, it's the norm.. Even the "new" Ren and Stimpy overused it... That stuff just makes me cringe.
Old October 11 2013, 08:18 AM   #84
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I'm going to go against the grain here. People have mentioned animation, so I'll talk about that.

People my age have told me that the animation for the shows G.I Joe and Transformers from the 80's (both shows were by the same company and had the same animation style) were both really crappy. I beg to differ. As a young viewer, I liked the fact that there were certain things that were done in these shows that is pretty rare now. Firstly, the characters were drawn in proportion, rather than being highly stylized. Whether it's simply just a super big chin in BTAS or huge heads and super slender bodies (as in a recent Spider-Man costume) nothing is as ugly to me in animation (at least, animation in which story, action and character are the important elements) than stylized characters with exaggerated proportion. Sunbow (who animated G.I. Joe and Transformers) kept everyone perfectly proportioned, the seemed like real people and real characters. People can say that the animation itself wasn't quite as smooth as some of the latter efforts of more stylized animation, but, screw it, I was able to invest in the characters more if I can take them seriously. Also the backgrounds were well-done and the usual music cues they sued all the time really made me excited.
Old October 11 2013, 04:23 PM   #85
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Just watching the commercials for Brickleberry causes me physical discomfort.

As far as I can tell, this is the thought process of Comedy Central executives.

Wow. South Park is the most successful show our network has ever had! We must replicate this success!
Now, what about South Park makes it successful? Let's see. South Park has clever social commentary, and a lot of grossout jokes.
Must be the grossout jokes!
So lets put on a lot more adult cartoons that have a lot of grossout jokes but no cleverness at all.
Order me another season of Ugly Americans and Brickleberry, NOW!
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 06:10 PM   #86
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The Red Queen on Once Upon a Time in Wonderland had so much Botox in her face she looked like a ballon and it was distracting from the pilot. Ugliest actress I have ever seen on a TV show.
Old October 11 2013, 10:52 PM   #87
Aldo
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The Red Queen on Once Upon a Time in Wonderland had so much Botox in her face she looked like a ballon and it was distracting from the pilot. Ugliest actress I have ever seen on a TV show.
After looking her I gotta ask: don't you think your post is just a bit of an exaggeration? I've seen far uglier actresses and far worse botox jobs.

I will agree that the botox probably ain't helping things though.
Old October 12 2013, 04:10 AM   #88
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Have you watched the show? It's really distracting to try to watch her act as your bloated face never really moved.
Old October 12 2013, 05:02 AM   #89
The Boy Who Cried Worf
Rear Admiral

Tom Arnold.
The Boy Who Cried Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 09:26 PM   #90
Aldo
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Have you watched the show? It's really distracting to try to watch her act as your bloated face never really moved.
Fair enough...and no, I haven't watched the show.