Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 4 2013, 01:15 AM   #16
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Re: The scary/creepy moments of TNG

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
If that thing wouldn't have killed Tasha, i'd feel similar about that.
But like this ... nah, don't care! Rot in hell, Armus!!!
I didn't miss Tasha. Her character made only two quality contributions to the whole series: the recorded farewell and Yesterday's Enterprise, neither of which would have happened without her death. To the extent that she mattered at all, we have Armus to thank for it.

Her death also cleared the way for Worf's bigger role, another thing for which we can thank Armus.

Dixie Flatline wrote: View Post
The episode of Enterprise when the crew are put in stasis, and Dr Phlox has to look after them as he seems to be one of the only crew members immune to some sort of space madness, was good 'n' creepy.
If we're talking ENT, the zombie Vulcans were pretty creepy.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 01:24 AM   #17
Dixie Flatline
Lieutenant

Trek or Treat wrote: View Post
If we're talking ENT, the zombie Vulcans were pretty creepy.
Ah, good one.

Any episode where Picard goes mad is usually fairly scary. Lore is always unsettling.
Old October 4 2013, 04:56 AM   #18
-SS-
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to -SS-

As a wee child, I remember being horrified at what the drilling laser in Home Soil did to the poor terraforming worker.
Old October 5 2013, 02:26 PM   #19
Mojochi
Commodore

A lot of good scenes mentioned so far, from Schisms & Night Terrors, etc... So I'll add one

Inside the transporter beam scenes in "Realm of Fear"
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 08:32 PM   #20
publiusr
Commodore

Dixie Flatline wrote: View Post

Lore is always unsettling.
He got the best lines though:

The troublesome little man-child. Are you prepared for the kind of death you've earned, little man? Back off, or I'll turn your little man into a torch. I promise him exquisite pain.... Go! Or he'll be shrieking by the count of five.

The flying cells that attached to Spock, the woman without a face...TNG was at its most creepy with the poor woman half phased through the floor...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 08:42 PM   #21
Melakon
Vice Admiral

One of my favorite creepy moments isn't even a scary episode. The Xeroxed Picard in "Allegiance" singing in Ten-Forward is one of the best WTF act fadeouts. It's just too bad that we as the audience already knew more than the crew did.

It might be interesting to see a fan-cut where it's only the crew's viewpoint scenes.
Old October 7 2013, 12:06 PM   #22
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Spider Barclay and Monster Worf.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 12:56 AM   #23
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

"Where Silence Has Lease" the antagonist alien kills a crew member for no particular reason. It was much better played than Tasha's death because the only answer we got for "why"? was "he was evil." In this case, the death actually furthered the plot and helped advance the first contact situation (albeit at a terrible cost). It does bring to mind Q's admonition that "it's not safe out there."
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:06 AM   #24
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Mine have all already been mentioned: the one scene in Schisms, Frame of Mind, and (worst) Violations.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 04:22 AM   #25
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

One scene that always had a "creepy factor" for me was from The Lights of Zetar, when that poor woman on the floor on Memory Alpha lifts her head and begins the speak in (I assume) the language of the Zetarians. That posterized (or whatever they call that) effect on her face, combined with the croaking sounds she makes, and lowering her dying head to the floor, frozen in a twisted expression, was always unsettling to me.

(Not Next Generation, I know, but it sprang to mind readily when I read these accounts!)
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 05:54 AM   #26
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

And this is off topic, too, but resistance was futile... LMFAOschwarz, I love your name!
Old October 8 2013, 02:59 PM   #27
Use of Time
Commodore

"Violations" hit my horror trigger. I have a natural revulsion to scenes involving some variation of rape be it body or mind. I suppose that is a good thing but I often reach for the remote when I see scenes like that.
Old October 8 2013, 05:10 PM   #28
Strange Citizen
Ensign

Very good responses so far everyone.

I would like to develop the discussion further by going into more detail. To me, it is incredibly fascinating that Star Trek in general has aroused more feelings of eerieness, spookiness and creepiness - in me, that is - than almost anything else on television or film which I have seen.

If this is the wrong place for more in-depth, psychology based discussion, then that's fine, but if it's ok, I would be very interested to hear some really in-depth reasons from you guys about why you think various scenes might have particularly frightened/disturbed you, or made you feel uneasy.

Why, for example, does an episode such as Frame of Mind carry a more genuinely creepy atmosphere than a million and one psychological thrillers and horrors out there which ought to be scary, but often simply aren't? Is it because of the focus on psychology? The scene in which Riker partially "re-lives" his apparent murder of a man who followed him down a dark alley at night is, due to nothing more than music and acting, a really eerie, atmospheric and seriously creepy scene - and yet nothing happens! Frakes sells the scene because his acting is so good here - but it's just that. Him, facsimiles of his crewmates acting out how he felt emotionally, and what he's saying. That's all. It's one of the most underrated disturbing scenes in TNG, IMO.

It seems that any time Star Trek wants to be scary or creepy, it is able to do so with impunity. I can't think of an episode that tried to be scary but failed miserably...the production team, scriptwriters and actors pretty much always managed to pull it off really well.

I'll never forget Voyager's "One", which managed to be terrifying through nothing more than psychological manipulation and atmosphere, much like Night Terrors. Remember the imaginary alien: "Hasn't it got to you yet?" "What?" "The loneliness..." - and then he offers to spend more time with her. Again, that's something that really shouldn't have been very creepy...but it was. Could it be the sci-fi setting? Maybe science-fiction does deal with themes such as alienation, being alone (or not so alone) in the depths of space amongst the unfamiliar, etc, better than most other genres...how else could such innocuous conversations seem so menacing and disturbing?

And again in TNG, there's an episode which deals with body horror...Identity Crisis. Was it meant to be scary? Considering it's not usually remembered as such, perhaps not. But I would say it is.

Melakon wrote: View Post
One of my favorite creepy moments isn't even a scary episode. The Xeroxed Picard in "Allegiance" singing in Ten-Forward is one of the best WTF act fadeouts. It's just too bad that we as the audience already knew more than the crew did.

It might be interesting to see a fan-cut where it's only the crew's viewpoint scenes.
Very cool mention, Melakon. That's another episode which has its fair share of scary moments and an eerie atmosphere: just imagine being trapped in a room with three other people, two of which you found it virtually impossible to get along with and one of which was potentially a savage killer? What about the score? Ron Jones used some kind of weird arpeggiated progression made out of Augmented Major Seventh chords (I think) near the beginning of the episode to create tension and a feeling of alienation - what a master composer! His presence really helped to create a believable soundscape for TNG's world in the first four seasons. Shame he was fired...

Last edited by Strange Citizen; October 8 2013 at 05:22 PM.
Strange Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 06:16 PM   #29
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I'll try for some details, but it's been several years since I watched either "Frame of Mind" or "Violations."

What I recall being creepiest about FoM was Riker's not knowing what was reality and what wasn't. I can't of anything more disturbing than the possibility of my mind failing to give me such basic info reliably. Not surprisingly, the diseases I fear most (not that I actually go around thinking about them) are Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.

As for "Violations," the sense of helplessness/powerlessness and the violation of one's physical and emotional boundaries make all rape -- even sci-fi telepathic rape -- scary, creepy and horrifying.
Old October 8 2013, 09:01 PM   #30
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

If we're talking other Trek series, I would mention that psycho-holodoc who murders his crew. Or that scene from Equinox where the Doctor has had his ethical subroutines deleted and he makes Seven sing by messing with her brain directly.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote