Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 2 2013, 10:56 PM   #841
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Walt's hated Lydia pretty much from the beginning.

That said, his big plan at the end was to eliminate his loose ends so that his family would 1) be safe and 2) be well off. Lydia not only knew enough to be a threat, but Walt actively knew that she knew who his family was. She even had the audacity to approach Skyler at his cover job, as others have already pointed out. That, coupled with the fact that she was extremely eager to have people killed who were a possible threat to her, was more than enough reason to take her out of the picture. And the cruel, lingering way Walt chose to do it showed just how pissed he was about the approaching-his-family thing.

I'm not even sure why his motivations are in contention.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 11:06 PM   #842
J.T.B.
Commodore

gblews wrote: View Post
I don't think there is another murder committe by Walt in the show's run where the reasons for the killing are not quite clear. I sure hope someone asks Vince about this.
Interesting; like I said I thought the "why" was quite clear. Why did Walt go back to Albuquerque? Because he thought he'd come up with a way to provide for his family. Lydia was a fearful, almost paranoid individual with ready connections to killers, no compunctions about using them, and a lot of motivation to do so. Going to the lengths he went to with the money but not addressing that very real, life-or-death threat doesn't seem very likely for thorough old Walt.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 03:16 PM   #843
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

^^ Plus, after spending time in Vermont, he NEEDED a green chile fix... Who wouldn't?
Old October 3 2013, 03:41 PM   #844
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

He was in New Hampshire, not Vermont.
Old October 3 2013, 07:19 PM   #845
billcosby
Commodore

"How about that guacamole?"

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 08:22 PM   #846
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
I don't think there is another murder committe by Walt in the show's run where the reasons for the killing are not quite clear. I sure hope someone asks Vince about this.
Interesting; like I said I thought the "why" was quite clear. Why did Walt go back to Albuquerque? Because he thought he'd come up with a way to provide for his family. Lydia was a fearful, almost paranoid individual with ready connections to killers, no compunctions about using them, and a lot of motivation to do so. Going to the lengths he went to with the money but not addressing that very real, life-or-death threat doesn't seem very likely for thorough old Walt.
I don't disagree with anything you write above (except the "clear" part). My argument isn't that Walt had no reasons to kill Lydia.

In "Granite State" we see Walt try to get money to Junior and throught the series Walt tells us that the money he makes is for his family. We then see Walt go back to Albuquerque in Felina and do just that.

Also in Granite State, Walt tells Saul that he wants to kill Jack for what he did to Hank. Walt then returns to Albuquerque and does just that.

What we don't see is Walt making the decision to kill Lydia. We the audience see that Lydia should be on Walt's hit list because among other things, she wants to see Skylar dead.

But we don't ever see Walt find out that Lydia has recommended to Todd that Skylar be killed and then Walt deciding to kill Lydia. Essentially, all we are actually shown is Walt killing her.

The show rather meticulously had Walt tell us, or show us his reasons for killing Jack and pretty much everyone else he has killed, but shows almost nothing of his reasons for killing Lydia.

Again, not arguing that he had no reason to kill Lydia, and if you want to go with the "for the protection of his family" angle, I would not blame you. Personally, I'm going with the ego/legacy reason because that is the one that I think was kind of shown on screen.

Where is the scene that shows us Walt deciding to kill Lydia and his reasons for the decision?
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 09:18 PM   #847
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

I rewatched "Felina" again tonight and I noticed something cool: When Lydia tells Walt he has two minutes to talk, he gets exactly that. Same thing happens when Skyler tells Walt he has five minutes (sans the Holly visit).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 10:29 PM   #848
J.T.B.
Commodore

Evil Headhunter wrote: View Post
I rewatched "Felina" again tonight and I noticed something cool: When Lydia tells Walt he has two minutes to talk, he gets exactly that. Same thing happens when Skyler tells Walt he has five minutes (sans the Holly visit).
You put a clock on it? Wow!

A very engaging interview with BB writers Peter Gould and Thomas Schnauz on NPR's "Fresh Air" today:
http://www.npr.org/2013/10/03/228813...theres-no-more
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 10:58 PM   #849
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Walt's hated Lydia pretty much from the beginning.

That said, his big plan at the end was to eliminate his loose ends so that his family would 1) be safe and 2) be well off. Lydia not only knew enough to be a threat, but Walt actively knew that she knew who his family was. She even had the audacity to approach Skyler at his cover job, as others have already pointed out. That, coupled with the fact that she was extremely eager to have people killed who were a possible threat to her, was more than enough reason to take her out of the picture. And the cruel, lingering way Walt chose to do it showed just how pissed he was about the approaching-his-family thing.

I'm not even sure why his motivations are in contention.
Yeah I agree she deserved to die. I'm just saying I couldn't help but still feel bad for her in that final scene. Probably because the actress (much like Cranston was able to do with Walt) was always able to make Lydia seem so sympathetic and real and human. No matter how many awful and despicable things she did behind the scenes.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 11:04 PM   #850
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Let's say I know nothing of Breaking Bad. What would be the quintessential episodes to watch that cover the most of the meta arc?
Old October 4 2013, 02:29 AM   #851
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
Let's say I know nothing of Breaking Bad. What would be the quintessential episodes to watch that cover the most of the meta arc?
All of them. Seriously.
Old October 4 2013, 02:35 AM   #852
Mr Light
Admiral

I might argue that you could skip from the pilot to first appearance of Saul/Gus/Mike and not miss much.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 03:05 AM   #853
Harvey
Admiral

The only episode that really could be dropped is "The Fly," from season three. And even that has an important moment in it (and is great in and of itself).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 05:33 AM   #854
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ Are you referring to "Gatorade me, bitch" ?

But yeah, if you wanna skip episodes you're watching the wrong show. This isn't like, frickin Voyager or something
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 05:54 AM   #855
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
^^ Plus, after spending time in Vermont, he NEEDED a green chile fix... Who wouldn't?
That was the most unrealistic part of the show, who the hell comes back to New Mexico and his first thought is "Denny's?" That wasn't even the good Denny's Frontiers is two blocks down and a million times better
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote