RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,309
Posts: 5,352,197
Members: 24,619
Currently online: 607
Newest member: DaxFan74205

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old October 3 2013, 04:01 AM   #241
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Someplace Shiny
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
It's great to be naive isn't it, to think that this isn't just big government getting bigger, and controlling more.

Link
What's funny is the ACA is based on a healthcare plan the Heritage Foundation came up with in the early 90s.

I guess it's only "Big Government" when you don't like the guy in charge.
__________________
"Libertarianism is a good idea on paper, until you look at it."
Greg Proops, The Smartest Man in the World
Awesome Possum is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 04:06 AM   #242
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
It's great to be naive isn't it, to think that this isn't just big government getting bigger, and controlling more.

Link
You tell me: http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...idual-mandate/
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom! Don't ask why, just do it.
:: :: ::
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 04:07 AM   #243
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

It's a Heritage Foundation concept that Newt Gingrich once embraced and Mitt Romney actually implemented a variant of in Massachusetts. It's not even close to socialized, single-payer health care run by the federal government, but because the half-black Democrat with the funny name who might not even have been born here proposed and pushed it through (and said Democrat also decisively defeated their past two Presidential standard bearers) it's Big Gubmint Socialism and the next big exit on the road to the People's Republic of Americastan.

It's cognitive dissonance on a grand scale.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now  
Old October 3 2013, 04:15 AM   #244
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
It's great to be naive isn't it, to think that this isn't just big government getting bigger, and controlling more.

Link
Funny to link to the Heritage Foundation considering the hated mandate was their idea.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 04:24 AM   #245
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

We can't be too surprised at the comments that we're getting from Yanks, FSM and others. The political Right in this nation has steadfastly opposed pretty much every new government-proposed health insurance program and health care system reform proposal to come down the pike since the Second World War. I've heard some Righties even complain that funding for children's health and immunization programs and services in lower-income communities constitute handouts and welfare and should be viewed with suspicion and skepticism.

They were saying many of the same things about Medicare and Medicaid almost half a century ago that they're currently saying about the Affordable Care Act, only back then the Republicans were a lot less likely to attack Lyndon Johnson's place of birth, very citizenship or even personal religious beliefs and shut down the federal government to try to stop the programs. The conservative Right has always been skeptical of if not downright hostile to such proposals and programs, but only in recent years have they become bat-guano insane about destroying them at all costs, even they take the economy and even the country down with them.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now  
Old October 3 2013, 06:24 AM   #246
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
It's a Heritage Foundation concept that Newt Gingrich once embraced and Mitt Romney actually implemented a variant of in Massachusetts. It's not even close to socialized, single-payer health care run by the federal government, but because the half-black Democrat with the funny name who might not even have been born here proposed and pushed it through (and said Democrat also decisively defeated their past two Presidential standard bearers) it's Big Gubmint Socialism and the next big exit on the road to the People's Republic of Americastan.

It's cognitive dissonance on a grand scale.
Exactly.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom! Don't ask why, just do it.
:: :: ::
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 06:51 AM   #247
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Besides, we already have socialized medicine of a sorts.

Medicaid, VA Veteran Care and Medicare. They might not cover every man, woman and child in the country under one comprehensive national system, but they share more than a few traits in common with the socialized health care systems of several other advanced countries and like the systems and insurance coverage of those other countries those programs generally work and most patients are generally satisfied if not downright happy with them.

And you see how so many Republicans and conservatives rushed to fall in line with those after they went into effect and became very popular and cherished by the American public. Despite the whining and bleating about inefficiency, waste and even fraud that still comes from that side, the Right realized that waging a massive federal war to abolish them would probably relegate the Republican Party to the moldy dustbin of American political history with the Know-Nothings, Prohibition Party and the Nullifiers.

They're assholes, but many of them aren't as stupid as we think. At least not when it comes to playing the right cards and staying in office.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now  
Old October 3 2013, 11:51 AM   #248
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

^But isn't that what some elected officals do around the world, think more about their own interests than that of their nation as a whole.

The Republican Party wants the Democractic nation to negotiate, so out of interest what are they offering in return for defunding the PPACA? What are they willing to comprimise on?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 12:48 PM   #249
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Lindley wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Competition lowers cost, not a bureaucracy.
That is the theory behind the exchanges.
I may be wrong, but it's all still state by state.

Why the insurance companies are in line with this is the law mandates the young buy insurance.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 12:53 PM   #250
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
It's great to be naive isn't it, to think that this isn't just big government getting bigger, and controlling more.

Link
Yes, big government gets bigger just because, and doesn't actually do anything!
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 12:58 PM   #251
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
We can't be too surprised at the comments that we're getting from Yanks, FSM and others. The political Right in this nation has steadfastly opposed pretty much every new government-proposed health insurance program and health care system reform proposal to come down the pike since the Second World War. I've heard some Righties even complain that funding for children's health and immunization programs and services in lower-income communities constitute handouts and welfare and should be viewed with suspicion and skepticism.

They were saying many of the same things about Medicare and Medicaid almost half a century ago that they're currently saying about the Affordable Care Act, only back then the Republicans were a lot less likely to attack Lyndon Johnson's place of birth, very citizenship or even personal religious beliefs and shut down the federal government to try to stop the programs. The conservative Right has always been skeptical of if not downright hostile to such proposals and programs, but only in recent years have they become bat-guano insane about destroying them at all costs, even they take the economy and even the country down with them.
Well, you can look at the "successfulness" of Medicare and chose for yourself. The fact is, many stores (Walgreens) and hospitals won;t take Medicare because it doesn't pay enough to make ends meet.

Medicaid is a result of government being involved in Healthcare from the start.

If you like that it's fine, but the free market, if allowed to be free, will lower cost and make insurance affordable to all.

Oh, but the free market reduces government power and control.... can't have that now can we?
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 01:08 PM   #252
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Yanks wrote: View Post
If you like that it's fine, but the free market, if allowed to be free, will lower cost and make insurance affordable to all.
This keeps being bandied around, but I have yet to see any proof of that. The "invisible hand" is more like a religion than an economic theory.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 01:17 PM   #253
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
If you like that it's fine, but the free market, if allowed to be free, will lower cost and make insurance affordable to all.
This keeps being bandied around, but I have yet to see any proof of that. The "invisible hand" is more like a religion than an economic theory.
Are there state boundaries for auto insurance?
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 01:19 PM   #254
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Yanks wrote: View Post
Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
We can't be too surprised at the comments that we're getting from Yanks, FSM and others. The political Right in this nation has steadfastly opposed pretty much every new government-proposed health insurance program and health care system reform proposal to come down the pike since the Second World War. I've heard some Righties even complain that funding for children's health and immunization programs and services in lower-income communities constitute handouts and welfare and should be viewed with suspicion and skepticism.

They were saying many of the same things about Medicare and Medicaid almost half a century ago that they're currently saying about the Affordable Care Act, only back then the Republicans were a lot less likely to attack Lyndon Johnson's place of birth, very citizenship or even personal religious beliefs and shut down the federal government to try to stop the programs. The conservative Right has always been skeptical of if not downright hostile to such proposals and programs, but only in recent years have they become bat-guano insane about destroying them at all costs, even they take the economy and even the country down with them.
Well, you can look at the "successfulness" of Medicare and chose for yourself. The fact is, many stores (Walgreens) and hospitals won;t take Medicare because it doesn't pay enough to make ends meet.

Medicaid is a result of government being involved in Healthcare from the start.

If you like that it's fine, but the free market, if allowed to be free, will lower cost and make insurance affordable to all.

Oh, but the free market reduces government power and control.... can't have that now can we?

If state involvment with medical care is so bad, then how come as has been cited with links several times that several countries with Universial Health Care provided by the state rank above the US system in terms of health care?

Now that isn't to say state provided Health Care isn't without it's problems.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline  
Old October 3 2013, 01:23 PM   #255
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
We can't be too surprised at the comments that we're getting from Yanks, FSM and others. The political Right in this nation has steadfastly opposed pretty much every new government-proposed health insurance program and health care system reform proposal to come down the pike since the Second World War. I've heard some Righties even complain that funding for children's health and immunization programs and services in lower-income communities constitute handouts and welfare and should be viewed with suspicion and skepticism.

They were saying many of the same things about Medicare and Medicaid almost half a century ago that they're currently saying about the Affordable Care Act, only back then the Republicans were a lot less likely to attack Lyndon Johnson's place of birth, very citizenship or even personal religious beliefs and shut down the federal government to try to stop the programs. The conservative Right has always been skeptical of if not downright hostile to such proposals and programs, but only in recent years have they become bat-guano insane about destroying them at all costs, even they take the economy and even the country down with them.
Well, you can look at the "successfulness" of Medicare and chose for yourself. The fact is, many stores (Walgreens) and hospitals won;t take Medicare because it doesn't pay enough to make ends meet.

Medicaid is a result of government being involved in Healthcare from the start.

If you like that it's fine, but the free market, if allowed to be free, will lower cost and make insurance affordable to all.

Oh, but the free market reduces government power and control.... can't have that now can we?

If state involvment with medical care is so bad, then how come as has been cited with links several times that several countries with Universial Health Care provided by the state rank above the US system in terms of health care?

Now that isn't to say state provided Health Care isn't without it's problems.
Because they are not compaired with a real free marekt economy?

Those in power will say systems with that power are "better".
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.