Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 1 2013, 04:45 AM   #16
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Re: Katy Perry to ditch pop for folk music on fourth album

Enh. Sounds like she's trying to impress John Mayer or something.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
At least she's not returning to Christian Rock.
Yes. Aside from being at least as creatively bankrupt as most forms of pop music, it caters to a much more limited audience. Wouldn't be an especially good career move. Folk music, on the other hand... It may not be for everybody, but it's worth a shot. I wish her luck.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 05:57 PM   #18
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:30 AM   #19
the G-man
Commodore

Caligula wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
At least she's not returning to Christian Rock.
Yes. Aside from being at least as creatively bankrupt as most forms of pop music, it caters to a much more limited audience...
For some reason, I reminded of the episode of "South Park" where Cartman starts a Christian rock band by simply taking vague generic pop love ballads and changing references like "baby" to "Jesus" ("Ooh, Jesus, I love your way…")

That being said, a Katy Perry Christian Rock album where she remade the "South Park" songs would probably be a million seller ("I want to get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus. I want to feel his salvation all over my face.")
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 06:11 AM   #20
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

She has a sweet voice, I think going for more Joni Mitchell stuff will suit her.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 11:31 AM   #21
Pingfah
Admiral

Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

No, she can sing well without auto tune.
Here she is singing live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_dgDgoua0
Looks to me like she was lip syncing.
Pay attention to her throat. She's singing.
Almost all pop stars can sing well on a technical level, it's pretty essential when your main job is touring the world singing every night. Especially when your chosen genre demands slick, flawless vocals.

I wonder why people would think, that with an entire world of talent to choose from, record companies would spend millions engineering the careers of people who can't sing?!
Old October 2 2013, 11:42 AM   #22
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

People have always thought that "I don't like this music" equates with "they can't sing".

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:24 PM   #23
the G-man
Commodore

teacock wrote: View Post
People have always thought that "I don't like this music" equates with "they can't sing".
Nah. I don't care for the music Christina Aguilara, Mariah Carey or any other of those divas put out but they can all sing. Miley Cyrus' music sucks but I've heard her actually perform folk music (a Dylan cover) and she too can sing.

Conversely, Perry's hit singles are catchy but the girl herself struggles to hit the notes when she isn't being auto tuned.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 04:01 AM   #24
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Australis wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Believe me, I am a bastard when it comes to people who can't sing. If you sing poorly, I will say so.
Remind me never to sing in front of you.

As for folk, well, Led Zep did it for LZIII. Some singers and bands do it at some point. Can't hurt.
Oh, I'm not brutal, just honest. If you're good enough to where a few tips will help you get better, I'll say so. If you're really bad, then it's best you know, because other people are likely telling you that you're great, so they can spare your feelings, and while I'm not going to actively tear you down, I'm going to be straightforward about it.

Pingfah wrote: View Post

Almost all pop stars can sing well on a technical level, it's pretty essential when your main job is touring the world singing every night. Especially when your chosen genre demands slick, flawless vocals.

I wonder why people would think, that with an entire world of talent to choose from, record companies would spend millions engineering the careers of people who can't sing?!
Yeah, singing without having any talent is rare. Most record companies don't make that mistake.
As for Katy and those high notes, high notes are a bitch to pull off. I can go from a low note to a high note pretty smoothly, but it's not good on my vocal chords, and excessive singing like that is going to take its toll on anyone.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 08:44 PM   #25
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Pingfaaaaaarrrrggghh wrote: View Post

Because with record companies, it doesn't matter if you can sing, it is how many units you move. It has always been that way. If your music doesn't sell enough (used to be after the first two albums), then the recording company drops you. If you are selling enough, they will continue to pour a certain amount of money into your career.

Record companies don't care if you can sing, all they want to know is if you can sell music.

To get specific about Katy Perry, her record company and other sponsors are not afraid to pour money into her career because the girl produces hits. If that ever stops, it won't matter a lick if she can or can't sing.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 09:15 PM   #26
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

She can sing. Her MTV Unplugged episode was pretty enjoyable.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 09:25 AM   #27
Pingfah
Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post

Because with record companies, it doesn't matter if you can sing, it is how many units you move. It has always been that way. If your music doesn't sell enough (used to be after the first two albums), then the recording company drops you. If you are selling enough, they will continue to pour a certain amount of money into your career.

Record companies don't care if you can sing, all they want to know is if you can sell music.

To get specific about Katy Perry, her record company and other sponsors are not afraid to pour money into her career because the girl produces hits. If that ever stops, it won't matter a lick if she can or can't sing.
If she couldn't sing the record company would be paying her to write songs for somebody who could. Pop stars need not only to be able to shift records, but more importantly these days they need to be able to sell concert tickets, which you cannot do if you cannot perform live. And pop singers cannot get away with poor or out of tune vocals in the same way a rock band might. This is not the 80s anymore, people expect live concerts to be live.

I'm not saying she's all time legendary talent or anything, but to suggest she can't sing is ludicrous.
Old October 4 2013, 11:58 PM   #28
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Her songwriting is actually what I don't care for. It's serviceable pop with memorable hooks ( damn her!!!!) but there's no depth or growth evident.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 12:11 AM   #29
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

gblews wrote: View Post

If she couldn't sing the record company would be paying her to write songs for somebody who could.
No, if her music didn't sell the record company would be paying her to write for others. If her music sold well enough, the record company would let her keep recording them regardless of whether or not she could sing.
Pop stars need not only to be able to shift records, but more importantly these days they need to be able to sell concert tickets, which you cannot do if you cannot perform live.
It's generally true these days that most pop stars make most of their money from live performances, but the question at hand concerned whether or not a record company would keep a recording artist under contract if that artist couldn't sing. And as an aside, although I don't know this for a fact, I'd bet Perry is one of the few current recording artists who still make significant money from selling their recorded music.

What pisses off concertgoers is an artist who sounds considerably worse live than on their recordings. As long as our recording artist who can't sing sounds no worse live than on recordings, fans are probably going to be satisfied.
And pop singers cannot get away with poor or out of tune vocals in the same way a rock band might. This is not the 80s anymore, people expect live concerts to be live.
See above. Also, if an artist ever comes along whose off key, out of tune singing sells, the record company will keep that artist putting out product and that artist's fans will show up at concerts.
I'm not saying she's all time legendary talent or anything, but to suggest she can't sing is ludicrous.
Don't know if you're referencing my posts, but for the record, I haven't made a comment about Perry's singing pro or con.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 03:08 AM   #30
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
Her songwriting is actually what I don't care for. It's serviceable pop with memorable hooks ( damn her!!!!) but there's no depth or growth evident.
That's a good observation. Her singing is okay, not bad but not great, but if she branches out her songwriting then it might be interesting.