Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 3 2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Toxteth O┤Grady
Captain

Getting Back Into Doctor Who

Hello, Doctor Who fans!

I watched season 1 of the current series way back when it first aired on Sci-Fi in 2006. I really enjoyed it, but for whatever reason that I can't think of right now, that's where I stopped.

Now Doctor Who is everywhere. My brother and his wife started watching it last year on Netflix and they quickly grew into huge fans. Their wedding cake even had a TARDIS topper with the two of them poking their heads out of the door.

After hearing them go on and on about it for so long I decided to give it another go. My sister-in-law is really excited about me starting it. In exchange I'm trying to get her into Star Trek. She loved the last 2 movies so I was going to start her with some of the earlier movies with TOS cast.

Anywho, I've watched through episode 6 and I'm loving it all over again. I originally thought that Rose was such a great character and she still is. The episodes are just fun. I've watched so many shows recently that are just depressing and filled with assholes (Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Game of Thrones), I'm happy to watch an adventure show with such a positive character.

With the ease of watching it on Netflix I should be able to watch it all the way through this time.
Toxteth O┤Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Getting Back Into Doctor Who

See the RTD seasons, and then maybe start venturing into Old Who to get a taste. I say this, because those 4 and a half years are rather closely related, story-wise.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 12:32 AM   #3
Toxteth O┤Grady
Captain

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
See the RTD seasons, and then maybe start venturing into Old Who to get a taste. I say this, because those 4 and a half years are rather closely related, story-wise.
What is RTD?
Old October 3 2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Toxteth O┤Grady wrote: View Post
Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
What is RTD?
Russel T. Davies, the producer/Showrunner/Head Writer who brought Doctor Who back to us. He ran the first 5 years, through Christopher Eccelston's 1 Season and David Tennant's 3 (Plus the Specials year). So, the first 4 Series and the Specials.

then, with Series/Season 5, Stephen Moffat took over and Matt Smith took over as The Current Doctor (Series/Season 7 recently ended, and then there is an Anniversary Special on November 23, and the Christmas Special. Series/Season 8 starts around Late September 2014

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 12:42 AM   #5
Toxteth O┤Grady
Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Russel T. Davies, the producer/Showrunner/Head Writer who brought Doctor Who back to us. He ran the first 5 years, through Christopher Eccelston's 1 Season and David Tennant's 3 (Plus the Specials year). So, the first 4 Series and the Specials.

then, with Series/Season 5, Stephen Moffat took over and Matt Smith took over as The Current Doctor (Series/Season 7 recently ended, and then there is an Anniversary Special on November 23, and the Christmas Special. Series/Season 8 starts around Late September 2014
Ah, gotcha.

I was going to check out some of the older stuff. I think there's some of it on Netflix, but not everything. If you guys have any suggestions, I'm open to them.
Old October 3 2013, 01:01 AM   #6
Snick27
Captain

Honestly if you want to watch some of the classic
Doctor Who I would say hit the BitTorrent and get the 3rd and 4th doctors episodes.

If not trying Leisure Hive , which is collection 15 on Netflix.
Sadly a lot of the 4th Doctor stuff on Netflix is the Keys of Time stuff that I didn't think was that great.

If nothing just watch them all or just the episodes that sound interesting.
Old October 3 2013, 01:12 AM   #7
Toxteth O┤Grady
Captain

Thanks, Snick27!

I've never downloaded torrents in my life, so I'm probably just going to go through the classic Doctor Who on Netflix and find episodes that sound interesting.
Old October 3 2013, 03:39 AM   #8
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

From what I've seen online, it seems like most of the classic Doctor Who available for download is generally appropriately weighted towards some of the more well-regarded stories from the series: "The Aztecs," "The Tomb of the Cybermen," "Carnival of Monsters," "Pyramids of Mars," "The Caves of Androzani," etc.

I'm quite fond of the Key to Time arc. That's the story arc that first got me into the show. I love the banter between Tom Baker & Mary Tamm.
Old October 3 2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Toxteth O┤Grady
Captain

How much of classic Doctor Who is serialized? Can I just jump in anywhere?
Old October 3 2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Nasty wrote: View Post
How much of classic Doctor Who is serialized? Can I just jump in anywhere?
Every Story is Serialized, though each story is fairly independent (From Tom Baker forward, most are 4 episodes of 25 minutes each, a few 6 episode stories). Prior to Tom Baker, most stories are 6 or more episodes, with some that are shorter.

Most stories are are independent. The Key to Time Series is 6 individual stories, but, all have a Quest running through them (Ribos Operation, Pirate Planet, Stones of Blood, Androids of Tara, The Power of Kroll, The Armegeddon Factor) . The E-Space Trilogy, is basically only connected in the fact they are in a different universe (Full Circle, State of Decay, Warrior's Gate) and then the end of Tom Baker's Run/beginning of Peter Davison's all involve The Master, and kind of lead into other (Keeper of Trakken, Logopolis, Castrovalva). For the most part, though, yea, you can pretty much jump in anywhere and watch in whatever order (Though I like to go through all the stories in order by Doctor, as the Companions provide a bit of a story continuity)

Old October 3 2013, 11:31 PM   #11
Toxteth O┤Grady
Captain

Wow, so much to sort through. I'm gonna need several chalkboards and many late nights to figure it all out. I guess coming into a 50 year old franchise fresh is a bit overwhelming.

Old October 3 2013, 11:54 PM   #12
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Nasty wrote: View Post
Wow, so much to sort through. I'm gonna need several chalkboards and many late nights to figure it all out. I guess coming into a 50 year old franchise fresh is a bit overwhelming.

I second the suggestion of starting with the 3rd Doctor, Season 7

Wikipedia Link for episodes

The 1st and 2nd Doctors have quite a few missing episodes, are in black and white and have a slower pace to them. So, I think for a NuWho fan, it's probably better to start there (rather than all the way back to the beginning, and then catch those episodes of 1st and 2nd Doctor later)

Look for an IM from me

Old October 4 2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Blamo
Fleet Captain

Glad to hear you're giving it another go.

When it comes to classic Who, just watch any story that tickles your fancy, no matter the order. That's what I did when I first became a fan during McCoys run. With the very odd exception, there's no real ongoing story being very episodic.

Of course you do lose some of ompf when watching a Doctor for the first time and it's his regeneration story. :P
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 12:57 AM   #14
diankra
Commodore

Just jump in: the original series is serials (4/6/occasionally 10 episodes) but there's rarely interconnection between stories (and ifi it is, it's stuff you'll appreciate later, as the events of the last story have an effect on the main characters).
But basically, just jump in and watch. Avoid the first two Doctors unless you're OK with stuff being in black and white. The fourth Doctor is a good starting spot as few serials are more than four episodes long (ie, 100 mins)... oh, and Tom is a great Doctor.
But if you like the Doctor as an odd hero, you'll probably like every version of him. (And then argue about why you prefer some of him to others).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 01:04 AM   #15
MacLeod
Admiral

You can get a flavour of what certainly 3 (maybe 4) out of the first 5 Docotrs wer elike by wathcing the 20th Anniversary speical "The Five Doctors". The Fourth Docotr Tom Baker decided against appearing it (he had left the show around a year or so earlier) He did appear breifly using footgae from the episode that was never completed due to industrial action "Shada". And the First Docotr was potrayed by a different actor due the orignal actor having passed away.

If I made any errors I'm sure those who knowledge of Dr. Who is greater than mine will correct me.

But I know t was some years agoi and it was during Tennant's run as the Tenth Doctor the Doctor Who Mag ran a poll of top episode and the top episode was "The Caves of Androzani" Starrting Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor, with Tom Baker's "Genesis of the Daleks" coming in second. I think the top ranked episode from the current era was "Blink"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote