Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 2 2013, 03:53 AM   #31
E-DUB
Captain

Re: NuTrek references in the novels

Maybe a reference to "Admiral Robau" in a TOS-era novel.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 06:00 AM   #32
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
So it sounds to me like just the reverse of what you said -- it was intended to evoke the new timeline, but the portrayal of Pike (and some other details) drew more on the original version.
Yep. Definitely remembered the reference in reverse.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 02:53 PM   #33
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Not a novel, but Federation: The First 150 Years said the USS Kelvin was an Einstein-class starship.

E-DUB wrote: View Post
Maybe a reference to "Admiral Robau" in a TOS-era novel.
Fleet Admiral Robau
Old October 2 2013, 10:29 PM   #34
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And if somebody wants to visualize Chris Pine or Zachary Quinto when reading a TOS novel, who are we to object?
Are you trying to make me lose my dinner?

Honestly, guys (and ladies, for the female pro authors)... if I buy one of your TOS novels that doesn't state upfront (in some kind of author's note or back cover blurb) that it draws material from the nuTrek crap, said book is going back for a refund. If I buy a TOS book, I expect a TOS story - one that has nothing whatsoever to do with the Abramsverse garbage.

Note that this is not me telling authors what to write. I'm just saying that if they sneak stuff into a novel that doesn't belong there (without saying they've done it), I won't be adding that novel to my collection.

Good thing there's a few tons of fanfic available. It looks like that may soon be all there will be to read that's not contaminated.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 11:02 PM   #35
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Timewalker wrote: View Post
And if somebody wants to visualize Chris Pine or Zachary Quinto when reading a TOS novel, who are we to object?
Are you trying to make me lose my dinner?

Honestly, guys (and ladies, for the female pro authors)... if I buy one of your TOS novels that doesn't state upfront (in some kind of author's note or back cover blurb) that it draws material from the nuTrek crap, said book is going back for a refund. If I buy a TOS book, I expect a TOS story - one that has nothing whatsoever to do with the Abramsverse garbage.

Note that this is not me telling authors what to write. I'm just saying that if they sneak stuff into a novel that doesn't belong there (without saying they've done it), I won't be adding that novel to my collection.

Good thing there's a few tons of fanfic available. It looks like that may soon be all there will be to read that's not contaminated.
Trek fans, always open to new and exciting things.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 11:07 PM   #36
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

You know, Contaminated would be a pretty cool name for a Trek novel.
Old October 2 2013, 11:20 PM   #37
Harvey
Admiral

Well, there's already a book called "Contamination," but yes.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 11:23 PM   #38
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I'm just saying that if they sneak stuff into a novel that doesn't belong there (without saying they've done it), I won't be adding that novel to my collection.
That would apply to every novel containing an in-joke that's every been written. And most every fanfic, I suspect.

So if they do it and they tell you in the foreword, you won't buy it, and it they do it and they don't tell you, you also won't buy it?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 11:31 PM   #39
Timewalker

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I'm just saying that if they sneak stuff into a novel that doesn't belong there (without saying they've done it), I won't be adding that novel to my collection.
That would apply to every novel containing an in-joke that's every been written. And most every fanfic, I suspect.

So if they do it and they tell you in the foreword, you won't buy it, and it they do it and they don't tell you, you also won't buy it?
I don't mind in-jokes if it references something I like. But I hate the Abramsverse stuff and don't want it in something that claims to be a TOS book.

So yeah, if I know beforehand that the book is really a crossover between real ST and nuTrek, I won't buy it. If I buy it and find out it's a crossover while reading it, I will return it for a refund. Either way, it doesn't get to stay in my collection. And based on what I've read upthread, I've got some weeding out to do.

Old October 3 2013, 12:01 AM   #40
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Perhaps we should put stickers on the books:

"Warning: Part of the same franchise that also produced the most recent movies. May contain trace amounts of NuTrek. People severely allergic to reboots should be aware of the possibility of cross-universe contamination. Proceed at your own risk."

Seriously, NuTrek isn't plutonium. Trace amounts never killed anybody.
Old October 3 2013, 12:11 AM   #41
Christopher
Writer

There were people who hated the animated series and didn't want it to be part of "their" Trek. There were people who hated ST:TMP and TWOK and didn't want them to be part of "their" Trek. There were people who hated TNG and didn't want it to be part of "their" Trek. And so on. If the tie-in creators heeded purist fans' desire for building walls between old and new interpretations of the franchise, we wouldn't have two Trek universes now, we'd have at least half a dozen, all mutually incompatible and forbidden to share ideas. And that would be a much less interesting universe.

And you know what? I've managed to come up with interesting stories based on ideas from episodes I disliked. Just because a character or idea originated in an installment I thought was bad, that doesn't mean it can't be the basis of something worthwhile in a different context.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 12:16 AM   #42
Timewalker

"Warning: Part of the same franchise that also produced the most recent movies. May contain trace amounts of NuTrek. People severely allergic to reboots should be aware of the possibility of cross-universe contamination. Proceed at your own risk."

Yeah, I could live with a warning like that. As for "trace amounts" of crossover or "reimagined" stuff... I feel the same way when I see nuDune nonsense inserted into a story that claims to be Dune.

Write all the nuTrek books you want. Just don't try to pass them off as real Trek, and keep cross-contamination out of it. The nuTrek fans will be happy with the book and the people who loathe nuTrek can safely ignore it. After all, it doesn't help when a reader sees some mention of a nuTrek detail of a character's life in a TOS book and mutters, "WTF!!! This author doesn't know what he/she's talking about!" when it doesn't match real Trek details.

Old October 3 2013, 12:24 AM   #43
Christopher
Writer

"Real Trek." It's all made up, you know.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 12:26 AM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

And you know what? I've managed to come up with interesting stories based on ideas from episodes I disliked. Just because a character or idea originated in an installment I thought was bad, that doesn't mean it can't be the basis of something worthwhile in a different context.
Hell, I once used a character from Star Trek V . . . and, as far as I know, nobody threw it across the room because it was "contaminated" by the worst Trek movie ever!
Old October 3 2013, 01:29 AM   #45
Masiral
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I could live with a warning like that. As for "trace amounts" of crossover or "reimagined" stuff... I feel the same way when I see nuDune nonsense inserted into a story that claims to be Dune.

Write all the nuTrek books you want. Just don't try to pass them off as real Trek, and keep cross-contamination out of it. The nuTrek fans will be happy with the book and the people who loathe nuTrek can safely ignore it. After all, it doesn't help when a reader sees some mention of a nuTrek detail of a character's life in a TOS book and mutters, "WTF!!! This author doesn't know what he/she's talking about!" when it doesn't match real Trek details.
How would you know that something is a nuTrek detail if you loathe nuTrek, and therefore, presumably, have not seen nuTrek?
Masiral is offline   Reply With Quote